• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UPDATE: BLOOD WORKING GROUP

alex3619

Hi Laurel, I have been told that they might be but I can't substantiate it. However, given that I have yet to see this on an official site, I would have to say this is looking unlikely at this point. Which means we will have to wait for the online presentations including write-ups and the DVDs. For such a major conference this is a little disappointing, but it might be because they need the DVD sales to assist their fundraising. Bye, Alex

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
THey will not be streaming video. Phoenix Rising asked the IACFS/ME if we could stream audio and they told us that they had a contract with a company to do the video record of the conference. They will be providing DVD's.

Apparently the results are in and should be published 'soon' but no one seems to know what they are; they are being very tightly held...

xrayspex

if fauci just put out new internal medicine textbook teaching cfs is nutty people still I dont see where bwg will have anything good for us, why would he put out new text with same old cbt/get stuff if he knew a chance of more viral info coming out?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I've been told a series of papers on XMRV will be released tomorrow afternoon with major implications for XMRV. I see from another thread that there is a chat being conducted by a member of the Blood Working Group. Things are apparently coming together rather rapidly. Be ready for some big news.

Bob

I've been told a series of papers on XMRV will be released tomorrow afternoon with major implications for XMRV. I see from another thread that there is a chat being conducted by a member of the Blood Working Group. Things are apparently coming together rather rapidly. Be ready for some big news.

Thanks Cort. By 'tomorrow', do you mean on Thursday or Friday, American time?

free at last

Sounds ominus Cort. By big news, Im guessing more death to xmrv. Wish i could just either know yes its whats made a lot of us ill. Or its not our time for a end to the madness that this illness does to people.

I know many feel its already dead. But i just kept thinking maybe, just maybe it will all turn around, and finally get some proper help. With the many different ways this illness goes up and down as the years roll by. At least i have a feeling, that its either going to be over very soon. Or a biggest turn around since it all started. Still just got a glint of hope. But feel deep down its over, and has been for a long time. if thats so it sucks. It just sucks Cort

shannah

Here's what Mindy has to say.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Tomorrow Science will publish the Phase III study by the Blood Working Group, which includes scientists at the Whittemore Peterson Institute, the Food and Drug Administration, the National Cancer Institute, the Centers for Disease Control, and the commercial labs Abbott and Gen-Probe.

Tomorrow at 3 p.m. EST, ScienceLive, a weekly live chat hosted by Science's Martin Enserink, will delve into "the science and controversy surrounding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome," explained the show's producer Daniel Strain in an email. Those interested in participating in the show can click here and post questions to guests Dr. Michael Busch of the Blood Research Institute in San Francisco and Dr. Jay Levy of University of California at San Francisco. Levy's XMRV study didn't find the virus.

more at

http://www.cfscentral.com/

xrayspex

Its not dead even if they blew it and thats what they share tomorrow, there has been positive research and other research on xmrv going on, its just not getting the press. If its negative tomorrow just means govmt or corps delaying dealing with a retrovirus awhile longer, either to learn more about it or to steal the credit of it under another name. Watch the Lymes film "under our skin" its on hulu for free, explains a lot about the poltiics behind health and iinstitutions.
however, if there is some acknowledgement of a retrovirus tomorrow I will be pleasantly surprised.

liquid sky

Cort, you sound too excited and I know you don't go for xmrv. That gives me a sinking feeling because I really want to see some positive results.

xrayspex

I actually felt excited for a second that Cort sounds excited and happy, hope its a good sign. I mean who in their right mind would want to think they
have an incurable mental illness....so crossing my fingers!

Nina

The way this has all been prepared, I am 100% sure the BWG results will be negative and we will see yet another big media campaign dragging XMRV to its grave for the umpteenth time.

Remember, this is just one more single study. There is still unrefuted evidence for HGRV infection in "CFS" patients, and there are still good people looking for it.

To quote a very good band: "Don't believe the hype".

Look for the facts!

Jemal

Eh... Silverman's name is now on a paper published in the Journal of Virology on 21 september, which well, see for yourself:

Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms in XMRV patient-derived integration sites reveals contamination from cell lines acutely infected by XMRV

Alice Rusmevichientong1, Jaydip Das Gupta2, Petra S. Elias1, Robert H. Silverman2, and Samson A. Chow1,*
1 Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, and UCLA AIDS Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095
2 Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195

We analyzed xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) integration site sequences previously identified from human prostate tissues for single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) to discriminate between patient and potential cell line sources of the proviruses. The SNPs of two integration sites were identical to those in cell lines but not the patients, whereas the data on the remaining 12 integration sites were inconclusive. Our results provide direct evidence for contamination during analysis of XMRV integration sites.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/JVI.05624-11v1

I don't have access to the full article as it is behind a paywall. So I have no idea if he is now completely bailing out on XMRV, but this contamination study is rather an ominous sign for today I would say. Him being one of the discoverers of XMRV...

Nina

What a coincidence that all of this is now being published all at once... again. Can someone say orchestrated?

Jemal

What a coincidence that all of this is now being published all at once... again. Can someone say orchestrated?

Yes, this looks highly orchestrated. Science hosting a chat, a member of the BWG attending and Mr. Levy. A presentation by the BWG. Also the list of WPI allies seems to be thinning. Unfortunately I think we are going to receive some bad news today or at least the ones of us that want to see a lot more XMRV research done...

The politics would have been amazing to follow - if I wasn't ill with this disease.

Anyway, still hoping for better news...