• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cut Wessely's power

jace

Off the fence
There's a campaign suggestion up on the 38 Degrees site to tackle Simon Wessely, and remove him from his positions of power. Here's the link.
http://38degrees.uservoice.com/foru...mon-wessley-s-campaign-of-cruelty-a?ref=title

Are you a member of 38 Degrees? Perhaps you'd like to join this great campaigning democracy, there's no money involved. Remember the Forest campaign they won, the NHS petition with over half a million signatures, that brought attention to the flaws in the NHS privatisation proposals?

Every member gets 10 votes to use for the campaigns they want to see taken up. You can give up to three votes to a particular project. There's one to stop the abolition of DLA, for instance, that you might also want to vote on.

Something to do online today ;)

Enid

Thanks jace - all done. This latest media campaign to "blacken" the whole ME community with his own "wrong thinking" is outrageous.

SilverbladeTE

Sorry, "Cut Wessley's Power"...had hilarious visions of wheezy ME patients in cheap commado gear, Mission Impossible music playing, them digging up "Capt Evil Weasel's" back garden to cut his electric cable, each taking just one go at the shovel before they got knackered, so the entire garden would be FULL of ME folk before they'd got very deep! :D

and no, that isn't some bizarre death threat or any such! it's HUMOUR! :thumbsup:

On more seriosu note: Agree on the OT!
But the SOB has, IMHO, bitten off way, way more than he can chew...he's been involved with so much, and it's unravelling (Camelford, ME, PTSD etc)...that they'll ditch him and leave him to carry the can. :victory:

Enid

Libel and misrepresentation for starters. Surely a good lawyer could analyse this sneakiness. If this is public W et al - see you in court.

jace

Off the fence
The 38 Degrees page is down - we don't know why, we're hoping it's a software glitch rather than more evidence of Wessely's power.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
The idea has been deleted. Personally im not in favour of attacking people even if they attack you first, all that will create is more anger and hate in the world. I do not agree with Prof Wessleys views or with the psychiatrisation of M.E but i do believe that HE belioeves in what he is saying and is doing what he thinks is right. I am also doing what i think is right and i think this kind of campaign fans the flames -its too personal. All respect goes to Prof Hooper who rigorously debates and disproves Prof Wessleys thoeries and papers in a dignified and scientific manner.
Probably opened myself up for all sorts of flak now but i dont like the nasty tone of this kind of thing.

Enid

Justy - this is not about nastiness any more - but the TRUTH of myalgicencephelomyalitis - having been through the lot.

justy

Yes Enid i entirely agree and i couldnt access the page at 38 degrees so im not apprised with all the facts of the campaign. Bit talk of losing people their jobs and putting them in jail is not helpful.
I am as desperate as anyone else here for the full truth to be out, including the truth of what the U.K medical authorities and Govt have been doing, i just dont think its helpful to individualise it.
All the best, Justy x

Enid

Yes we all want that. Unfortunately the "individualising" is of their own making (psychiatrists concerned) so completely assured of and stand identified with their theories - can't be tested/proven one way or the other like science.

justy

Sorry Enid im not sure what you mean -typos perhaps. Im sure however that we are in the main in agreement about the state of things here in the U.K. I am optimistic at the moment that things are moving forwards (internationally) and that it will change for the better, although a part of me is cynical and knows all the truly awful things that happen to people in the U.K not just with M.E but other disabil;ities too. I just want to keep on soldiering on with positive campaigns and hope.
Justy.

Enid

Soldiering on best I agree - the psyches really should go into deep analysis. (Might it help them ?) And to be told I'm the worst the worst by this "profession" ? does indeed tend to make one think the very worst of them. Pretty obvious this lot to put bluntly have "cornered" the market with their mumbo jumbo.

jace

Off the fence
Just to say, the campaign link takes you to a cause deleted page atm, but I am told this is in error, another campaign asked to be deleted and somehow they took down the wrong one. It may be put back up later today, so I am told.

Min

I believe he best response we in the UK can make is to donate to Invest in ME, ME Research UK, the TYMES Trust or the WPI.

justinreilly

Unfortunately the "individualising" is of their own making (psychiatrists concerned)

I agree completely.

Justy, imo, what you are saying is like saying noone should've asked that Dr. Mengele lose his job or go to prison since that's so personal!

justinreilly

Just to say, the campaign link takes you to a cause deleted page atm, but I am told this is in error, another campaign asked to be deleted and somehow they took down the wrong one. It may be put back up later today, so I am told.

Jace, I checked and it was still deleted (i also searched for keywords and nothing came up). Do you mind contacting them again to get it set back up?