• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ambien CR taking 3 hours to work?!?!

TheMoonIsBlue

Anyone taking Ambien CR have trouble with it taking hours- like THREE hours:Retro mad: for it to work?

I just started the medication and I feel nothing- nadda- for about 3 hours, and then I am awake within 4 hours-or less! ( I assume because the med is supposed to keep you asleep about 7 hours, and I should be asleep in those 3 hours I am still wide awake)

My question is: Is it possible to cut the Ambien CR in half so it acts more like a regular Ambien? (I have never taken regular Ambien BTW)

Will cutting the pill in half destroy the CR properties--which would be the point- so it acts like regular Ambien? I think the problem is not enough of the med is being released in the first layer of the pill to actually fall asleep.

Has anyone cut their Ambien CR in half, and had it work faster? Oh, and yes I am on the brand Ambien CR. I've been reading online about how there is now a generic available for Ambien CR and most people are not happy with it at all.

Thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think your better off with regular ambien and if u wake up take a second smaller dose. I dont think the cr version doesnt pack a big enough punch to get u to sleep, maybe a half of a regular ambien with the cr might help. Theres not too many meds that really help u sleep more then 4 hours without a hangover even when they say they have a longer half life, the actual active life of the drug is very different to its half life.

good luck,
cheers!!!

Nielk

Anyone taking Ambien CR have trouble with it taking hours- like THREE hours:Retro mad: for it to work?

I just started the medication and I feel nothing- nadda- for about 3 hours, and then I am awake within 4 hours-or less! ( I assume because the med is supposed to keep you asleep about 7 hours, and I should be asleep in those 3 hours I am still wide awake)

My question is: Is it possible to cut the Ambien CR in half so it acts more like a regular Ambien? (I have never taken regular Ambien BTW)

Will cutting the pill in half destroy the CR properties--which would be the point- so it acts like regular Ambien? I think the problem is not enough of the med is being released in the first layer of the pill to actually fall asleep.

Has anyone cut their Ambien CR in half, and had it work faster? Oh, and yes I am on the brand Ambien CR. I've been reading online about how there is now a generic available for Ambien CR and most people are not happy with it at all.

Thanks

I take Ambien CR and according to my doctor, you can't split it. If you want a smaller dose you have to go with the regular Ambien.
The Ambien CR was not enough for me either. I don't want to give medical advice and certainly you should not do anything before discussing it with your doctor. What works for me is: I take Tylenol PM an hour before sleep and then Ambien CR 1/2 hour before sleep and that usually works if there is nothing unusual disturbing my sleep further than the usual.

john66

CR breakdown

I think the timed release part of the ambien is based on stomach acidity. They also came out with this right before the patent on regular ambien expired. I do find that branded ambien works better than generic zolpidiem, not enough to justify spendinng $5.00 per pill.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I take Ambien CR and according to my doctor, you can't split it. If you want a smaller dose you have to go with the regular Ambien.
The Ambien CR was not enough for me either. I don't want to give medical advice and certainly you should not do anything before discussing it with your doctor. What works for me is: I take Tylenol PM an hour before sleep and then Ambien CR 1/2 hour before sleep and that usually works if there is nothing unusual disturbing my sleep further than the usual.

nielk dont worry about giving out medical advice, its probably alot more useful then most docs when it comes to me/cfs. A few years like this and we should be givin a medical degree as most of us have done so much research try to treat ourselves because of the failures of the health system, ok dr nielk.

I use/have used both the regular and CR versions (generic) and neither one really keeps me asleep. I find the regular to be more fast-acting, asleep in ~15 minutes or so, but still waking after 4 hours :( The CR version takes longer for me ~30-1hr to fall asleep and waking after 4 hours. I say just try taking it earlier and earlier and see if that helps time it better for you.

I really just wish I could fall asleep and stay asleep (at night) because it would really make getting up and going to work like a "normal" (ha!) person so much easier :Retro mad: My hubby can fall asleep at any time and stay asleep for hours and hours while I'm exhausted but can't seem to sleep :rolleyes:

I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer! :hug: