• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please EMAIL JARROW regarding their Methyl-b12 / tooth sensitivities...

dannybex

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread on this, so here goes.

Quite a few people have had problems tolerating Jarrow's Methyl-B12 sublingual lozenge, as it seems to cause tooth and gum sensitivity (and perhaps demineralization of teeth) due to the CITRIC ACID in the sublingual. This problem has been noted in posts on various forums going back to at least 2008.

Others haven't had a problem.

However, if you have had problems, would you please send an email to Jarrow and ask that they eliminate the citric acid from their supplement?

Here's the online link:

http://www.jarrow.com/contact_us.php

And here's an email contact from that page: info@jarrow.com

They certainly must be able to make a sublingual without citric acid. Source Naturals makes an ad-b12 without it, and several other companies do as well, (but aren't considered as effective as Jarrow's product).

Wouldn't it be nice to tolerate higher doses without possible tooth or tissue problems?

I hope you'll take a moment to send them an email.

Thanks

Dan

Adster

Hi Dan, have you tried the new version with the reduced acid? It's still acidic but it's causing me nowhere near the issues the old ones were. I emailed them about it many months ago, maybe they actually listened!

dannybex

No. Did this just come out? I've had my bottle since March or so...

Would love to hear more details.

Thanks Adster!

dannybex

Thanks Adster...

But...hate to say it...that's the kind I've been taking. It still gives me problems if I take more than 1/4 tab, twice a day.

Again, if the other companies don't need it, then I would hope they'd consider removing the citric acid.

It must've been quite strong before...???

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Done - thanks, Danny, I didn't realise why I was getting that burning sensation and I'd like to keep my teeth!

ukxmrv

Thanks Danny, I developed teeth problems and didn't think of the Jarrow B12. In my case they didn't happen straight away but over time. I actually blamed another product instead. Tried the Y B12 M lozenges and had teeth problems again. Would not have realised it without these threads.

dannybex

Thanks Danny, I developed teeth problems and didn't think of the Jarrow B12. In my case they didn't happen straight away but over time. I actually blamed another product instead. Tried the Y B12 M lozenges and had teeth problems again. Would not have realised it without these threads.

That's exactly what happened with me too. I didn't notice anything for about a week or so, and thought at first that it might've been due to the higher than usual amount of fruit I was eating, but it didn't stop until about 3 days after stopping the b12. And it will start again, no matter what else I'm eating, within about 4-5 days of starting the Jarrow product.

And I wouldn't have put two and two together unless I had read about it here on another thread, and then seen quite a few mentions of it on the 'wrongdiagnosis' threads as well as others.

I hope we can make a difference. Thanks to all for emailing!

Adster

Ah I was hoping you had the old version. The new one is better but clearly the toothpaste I'm using is masking any pain that it would normally be causing. Hopefully it's remineralisation ability is working too! The 5mg tablet is soooo acidic, I'd never use that one.

dannybex

Yes, hopefully it's remineralizing the teeth...but it could just be masking the pain. :(

Has anyone received a reply from Jarrow?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I got a reply:

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry to Jarrow Formulas. I appreciate that you took the time to send us an e-mail regarding Methyl B12. I have forwarded your e-mail to my colleagues in the R&D department. Perhaps they can re-formulate Methyl B12 lozenges to remove the citric acid.

Thank you for your continued support.​

Meanwhile, I'm starting another thread on how to protect your teeth against acidic vitamins.

suzanne

Hi Dan
I have emailed but got no reply yet. I have had sensitive lower teeth since i started only 10 days ago and was wondering what was going on...hopefully they wil change the formula..tahnks for the heads up, maybe it would help to get some sensitiv teeth toothaste- but I am so new to wht is happening for my bdy I will rely on ohers as to what to try
Suzanne

Tristen

Hi Dan, have you tried the new version with the reduced acid? It's still acidic but it's causing me nowhere near the issues the old ones were. I emailed them about it many months ago, maybe they actually listened!

The additional ingredients are only listed as to what they are, not the amounts of each. So how would we know if its' the new reduced form? Are you going by date?

I checked my Hydroxy B12 mega drops and it too includes Citric Acid as a preservative. Are we sure the problem is the Citric Acid?

Adster

The additional ingredients are only listed as to what they are, not the amounts of each. So how would we know if its' the new reduced form? Are you going by date?

I checked my Hydroxy B12 mega drops and it too includes Citric Acid as a preservative. Are we sure the problem is the Citric Acid?

I was under the impression that ingredients are listed in order of quantity on all food labels. I was just going by the increased gummyness and the different order of the ingredients. Citric acid is a likely offender as it is know to be hard on teeth.

Tristen

I was under the impression that ingredients are listed in order of quantity on all food labels. I was just going by the increased gummyness and the different order of the ingredients. Citric acid is a likely offender as it is know to be hard on teeth.

Thanks Adster, I'll check the labels. Maybe I can stop holding the Hydroxy mega drops so long sublingual. I may just go back to the injectable....lot more expensive, but so is the dentist. I haven't noticed any tooth or gum issues, but my daughter has and that's why I was inquiring.

leela

Wow, thanks for posting this...several months ago I started getting bad tooth sensitivity, and thought it was a clay-based toothpaste
I had been tryng. The sensitivity continues long after I stopped the toothpaste, so I thought I might have irreversibly abraded the enamel.

Now I realize it started not long after I started using the Methyl B12/MethylMate drops. I don't swish it around or anything though--could it be that just holding it under the tongue could cause tooth sensitivity throughout the mouth? I mean, how much acid could be in there?

Thanks for bringing this up.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Slightly off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about the drops staining teeth? I started getting dark stains, especially on my lower teeth. I'm wondering if it's from the Holistic Health MegaDrops Hydroxy B12. I was googling trying to find an answer and found this thread.