• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Castor Oil Packs - How to Video (8 Min.)

Wayne

10-16-15 UPDATE Below (Post #13)

Hi All,

I've been initiating Lyme bacteria dieoffs recently with my Rife machine therapy. Having read how onerous some of these dieoff herx reactions can be, I've been very focused on detoxification techniques that will help efficiently move dead bacteria, and high levels of neurotoxins they release, out of my body as quickly as possible.

I finally got around to doing a castor oil pack this morning, which helps the liver detoxify. It also has a harmonizing effect on the nervous system. I felt so good afterward, I did a google search, and found the following video, which describes how to make and do a castor oil pack. Thought I'd pass it along.

How to Make a Castor Oil Pack

I might just mention, the technique they describe looks a bit overly messy to me. I'm able to do mine without getting oil on my hands at all. And it takes less time. I actually felt a little clever after seeing how "involved" their technique is. :angel:

Best Regards, Wayne

Last edited:

Nielk

Wayne,
Thanks for this info. I never heard of castor oil packs but, it does seem relaxing. The fact that you felt an immediate result is impressive. Do you have to have a heating pad for this to work? Is that the only way to keep the pad warm enough?
Thanks,
Nielk

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've done a lot of castor oil packs and when i was really toxic, I did feel worse for a couple days later. After more experience detoxing I found I could handle a castor oil pack well. If you don't have a heating pad you can use a very hot, hot water bottle.

Best Sushi

Wayne

Do you have to have a heating pad for this to work? Is that the only way to keep the pad warm enough?

Hi Nielk, Hi Sushi,

I use two hot water bottles. I have a small electric plate by my bed in case I need to heat either of them up again while I'm doing it. I'm wary of EMFs from an electric pad.

They recommend doing them for three days, and then take a few days off. I did a second one today, and it made me really groggy, then noticed my right big toe began to feel some pain in it (detox), and at the moment am feeling really sleepy. I'm hoping it gives me a really good night's sleep. I'm really glad I started doing these again. It really is very relaxing.

Best, Wayne

xrunner

I have been recovering from Lyme and would NOT recommend this!
I tried for a couple of months and it worsened my toxic burden in particular of phtalates.
1. you'll end up absorbing phtalates and other toxins from the plastic sheet; the heat and oil will enhance the movement of toxins into your body.
2. the EMF given off by the heating pad won't help you either.

There are safest and more effective ways to get toxins out of the body.

Wayne

Castor Oil Pack Followup

They recommend doing them for three days, and then take a few days off. I did a second one today, and it made me really groggy, then noticed my right big toe began to feel some pain in it (detox), and at the moment am feeling really sleepy. I'm hoping it gives me a really good night's sleep.

Just a quick followup from last night. I did not get the good night's sleep I was hoping for. In fact, I woke up in the middle of the night with a significant sore throat. I occasionally get a mild sore throat and lymph nodes, but this was much more significant. I even wondered if I might have a case of strep throat on my hands.

I swallowed often the rest of the night, but it was better by morning. Interestingly, I felt I slept fairly well in spite of all this. Now, after doing my morning flushing and balancing routines, the sore throat is entirely gone. I also feel a subtle new level of relaxation in my body.

The pain I had in my big toe is gone as well. Tuning into it this morning, the pain was very similar to the pain I get in my hands which I attribute to my Lyme bacteria infections. This has been fluctuating quite a bit recently with my Rife treatments, and so have been able to identify them better.

So my best guess is that the castor oil packs were able to somehow "dislodge" some accumulated dead Lyme bacteria and move it on out of my system. I guess another possibility is that it jump started an element of my immune system and produced these kinds of results. Time may give me a better take on it. On the other hand, I may never know.

Regards, Wayne

Wayne

I tried for a couple of months and it worsened my toxic burden in particular of phtalates. You'll end up absorbing phtalates and other toxins from the plastic sheet; the heat and oil will enhance the movement of toxins into your body.

Hi xrunner,

Thanks for the cautionary note. Even though plastic doesn't touch the skin, I guess I can see where phtalates might eventually work their way through the layers of the soaked cloth. For me, this might be a good reason to change the cloth frequently. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, Wayne

xrunner

You're welcome Wayne.
I don't know for sure how they got inside me, I thought in the past that one possible route could have been through the lungs but I'll never know.
All the best.

Wayne

Identifying Phtalates Toxicity

You're welcome Wayne.
I don't know for sure how they got inside me...

Hi again xrunner,

I wonder if you could share how you were able to detect phtalates as a problem. I think this could be quite helpful for me, as it would be good if I could more readily identify a potential problem early on. I wonder if some plastics are worse than others; I'm currently using thin handiwrap.

Also, how is your Lyme treatment and recovery going? I would guess it presents with various cycles and ups and downs. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but authors of threads can do that if they wish, right? ;)

Wayne

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi again xrunner,

I I wonder if some plastics are worse than others; I'm currently using thin handiwrap.

Wayne

You can also avoid using plastics if you are willing to "sacrifice" a few towels. That is what I have done. You don't ever really seem to be able to fully wash castor oil out of towels, so I would just wash them and keep a few dedicated to castor oil packs.

Sushi

xrunner

Hi again xrunner,

I wonder if you could share how you were able to detect phtalates as a problem.
Also, how is your Lyme treatment and recovery going?

Wayne

Wayne,
The phthalates came up with other stuff as a result of a test on mitochondrial membranes done by Acumen, a UK lab. They do tests which are supposed to show whether mitochondria are working properly in terms of ATP generation. It turned out mine were blocked by phthalates. That was at a time when I did not know LD was an issue for me. Once I got rid off those they never returned but I had other things showing up, in particular lipid peroxides (products of oxidative stress) which my doctor says are probably the result of my immune system throwing off loads of inflammation.
My Lyme treatment is going quite well. I had spent over a year going nowhere but things did pick up nicely at the end of last year when I took charge of my treatment. I think I have been lucky as I haven't experienced ups and downs for over a year now, even after being off antibiotics for long periods of time. I estimate I'm about 65% recovered. Although I aim for 100%, I'd be happy to get to 80%.
All the best.

Wayne

UPDATE: -- 10-16-15

I got away from doing castor oil packs after starting this thread four years ago--don't even exactly remember why. But I've been experimenting with different restricted diets recently, which I believe has been good for me, and likely allowed my body to do a bit extra detoxifying. So I began to think it would be good to do a castor oil pack again to see what it might do.

I did one yesterday morning, and fell asleep while doing it. Woke up quite groggy, but felt immensely better after doing a coffee enema and shower, feeling better than I had in quite a while. I even had the energy to finally get to a small organization project in the kitchen, which took about 1-2 hours. Laid down for another nap afterwards.

Woke up from the nap feeling a bit nauseous, and again quite groggy. Was able to do a walk however, and felt pretty OK afterwards. I then slept about 8 1/2 hours last night (very unusual for me), and then--to get to the main point of this post--woke up feeling better than I have in quite some time. In fact, I've been more functional this morning than I have in many a morning, and am considering doing another small organization project (2 of these 2 days in a row is highly unusual for me).

Thought I'd make this quick post here before getting started on that project however. Obviously, I'm now thinking about doing more castor oil packs going forward, especially if I can continue to get such good results.

Best to All, Wayne

Last edited:

chilove

I LOVE castor oil packs. I find them to be very relaxing. They really saved me when I got in a bad herx from taking too much artemesia. They also saved me when I had a pinched nerve in my neck.. they got rid of the pain very quickly

Rufous McKinney

They also saved me when I had a pinched nerve in my neck..

oh? I did some vagal nerve stimulation stretches, held one too long and really injured my neck/trapezias muscle...going on week 3. It gets better then inflammation it blows up again.

testing that now, pack on...

Rufous McKinney

Castor Oil Pack- Reporting on Treatment atempt #3:

I got really sick. I applied to both liver area and throat/neck.

About an hour after this concluded, I had a drop in blood sugar / late afternoon...and abruptly became profoundly nauseated, and despite my best efforts, I could not keep it down. Threw up.

And I could taste the metal, after that.

And now I feel more awful yet again. With dentists, tomorrow.

And a pile of Monday stress, got added on by my loved ones.

:vomit::sluggish:

renski

Castor Oil Pack- Reporting on Treatment atempt #3:

I got really sick. I applied to both liver area and throat/neck.

About an hour after this concluded, I had a drop in blood sugar / late afternoon...and abruptly became profoundly nauseated, and despite my best efforts, I could not keep it down. Threw up.

And I could taste the metal, after that.

And now I feel more awful yet again. With dentists, tomorrow.

And a pile of Monday stress, got added on by my loved ones.

:vomit::sluggish:
I don't tolerate castor oil on the liver, just means there are other issues unresolved and may need to support the liver differently or maybe not the liver at all.