• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time for the Big Talk. How's the CAA doing?

starryeyes

Me too! It's impossible to follow if people don't identify who they are quoting!!! I asked for the same thing recently!

PS See how great the Quote function is? I can click on that little arrow thing next to Roy's name - which I just did - and discover that he was talking to...

me!
:ashamed:

Koan, I never knew that.
I learn something new every day here. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to see new people joining PR and speaking their minds about this. It's great to hear what everyone thinks and what ideas everyone has.

I think most of us see things similarly in regards to the CAA. We want a patient support group that's going to stand up for us.

usedtobeperkytina

80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

I appreciate the point that we are not only limited in time, but we are limited in funds. With many having to work part time or can not advance in their job because of the illness, plus increase in medical care costs, there is very little left for advocacy.

But, I am going to do the message forum campaign. I need to come up with a name. It costs me nothing but one day on the computer.

I see I am going to be busy on he 11th. So I will do it on the 10th and the 12th.

Tina

jspotila

Jspotila, if you are still looking at this thread and if you missed my past post, please ask the CAA to consider MERGING your registry/ biobank with that of the WPI. Makes it easier for patients and researchers. This is no time to fight over turf.

Yep, still reading! I thought I addressed the merger of biobanks issue somewhere . . . but now I have no idea where. Anyway, the CFIDS Association has created its biobank through a collaboration with Genetic Alliance. It took months to go through the extensive application and IRB approval process. One advantage of the SolveCFS biobank through Genetic Alliance is the direct participation of patients in building the collection of biological specimens and clinical data. Another is that the biobank will be open to researchers who want to advance the discovery of biomarkers and treatments of CFS - this will not just be Association-funded investigators.

I assume that WPI has its own IRB process and proprietary interests in their repository, which makes sense. The Genetic Alliance IRB process was very stringent, and would not accommodate merging with another repository without more delay. There might be opportunities for it in the future, but the Association wants to move quickly to get the biobank up, running, and full of samples as soon as possible!

jackie

Does anyone know if Dr. Chia applied for funding to study the effects of Oxymatrine on me/cfs (re: Enteroviruses) - and was denied?

(don't need to know specifics or reason for any denial - just wondered if he had applied)

Thanks, jackie:Retro smile:

Lisette

Frida For All
Because I said negative things about the CAA, I also want to say that I am really impressed with Jennie's willingness to read these threads and respond. When I think of the CAA, I don't think of patient/volunteers like her who are on the board and doing all they can. Especially not when I feel disgruntled with the group in general.

I would really like to see an interview with someone like her-- what is it like to be a patient and volunteer time and energy to the CAA board. Not an "expose" type of piece, but simply information as to the inner workings and the main focus of their time spent, the types of obstacles and frustrations, as well as the vision and goals. I know what the healthy, paid people look like, and where they come from, but I don't know anything about what it's like being a volunteer for them.

I want to listen as well as comment.

jspotila

Because I said negative things about the CAA, I also want to say that I am really impressed with Jennie's willingness to read these threads and respond. When I think of the CAA, I don't think of patient/volunteers like her who are on the board and doing all they can. Especially not when I feel disgruntled with the group in general.

I would really like to see an interview with someone like her-- what is it like to be a patient and volunteer time and energy to the CAA board. Not an "expose" type of piece, but simply information as to the inner workings and the main focus of their time spent, the types of obstacles and frustrations, as well as the vision and goals. I know what the healthy, paid people look like, and where they come from, but I don't know anything about what it's like being a volunteer for them.

I want to listen as well as comment.

Coincidentally, Cort and I did a Q&A recently that he is considering for use on the blog. I don't want to infringe on that material, but it did focus mainly on the organizational stuff more than me as a person.

I would love to brag on our Board a little bit! Of the 14 Board members, 8 of us are patients. Several of us, including me, are housebound - and service on the Board takes a lot of time/energy. For some of us, it is the only thing we do apart from activities of daily life. We are a working Board, not a money Board. We don't write checks to get on the Board, and it's more than a meeting or two. No one gets any prestige from serving on the Board; it doesn't build anyone's resume. I said in one meeting that none of us are there for ourselves; we are there for the people we love. For some, they have children, siblings, or spouses with CFS, and they serve to improve their loved ones' lives. For someone like me, I serve not for myself as a patient, but because my husband deserves a healthy wife and my parents deserve grandchildren - and CFS stole that from them as much as me.

The biggest frustration we have on the Board is money. We have so many more ideas than there are resources to make them happen. Every Board member participates in fundraising in some way, and we do more every year. We measure our performance as a group, and get training on how to do it better. The other main focus of the Board's work is strategy and vision. We spent 18 months in strategic planning, and charting the five year strategy for the Association. This was extraordinarily demanding work, but several Board members have professional expertise in strategic planning and this helped tremendously.

When I attended my very first Board meeting, I felt overwhelming relief and excitement because this group gets it. Every member has been touched by CFS in a personal way, and that makes us all direct stakeholders in the organization's work. When one or more of us starts to fade in a meeting, everyone at the table understands. It's a very supportive group.

Personally, I am blown away by the dedication and commitment of the Board members. They attend many meetings (conference call or in person) and spend a great deal of time in fundraising, committee work, and engaging on issues. Members have testified at CFSAC meetings, and the CDC strategic plan public comment session. They make themselves available to the media, and share their personal stories with colleagues and friends. Every Board member, even the healthy ones, make personal sacrifices to serve.

I hope this addresses some of what you wanted to know about us. I'm happy to answer questions to the best of my ability.

usedtobeperkytina

Jenny, good to know that about the Board.

Limited resources means we have to work smarter.

I understand the focus on research, before WPI's announcement, there was a vacuum from CDC neglect.

I still say some more public and doctor awareness needs more attention than politician awareness. I think politicians respond to the public, particularly when it is in public displays. We have got to get this illness out of the closets and the bedrooms. With the Internet, there is an opportunity we didn't have 10 years ago. We need new mellinium ideas. Has anyone thought of hiring an Obama campaign person on a consultation basis? (that was a little bit of a joke. Just trying to make a point that we have to think differently because our illness is so different.)

Honestly, absent a strong leader in this area, I am putting my hopes on some medicine being approved for CFs soon, which will lead to commercials which will change everything.

Tina

justinreilly

I think most of us see things similarly in regards to the CAA. We want a patient support group that's going to stand up for us.
[emphasis added]

This should be the core mission statement of CAA- the 'center' from which all of their actions eminate. They should think of the most efficient ways to stand up for us and then do it. Before they take any action including communicating anything to anybody they should ask "are we standing up for patients with this statement." It's sad this has to be said at all.

justinreilly

Personally, I am blown away by the dedication and commitment of the Board members....

Jennie, thanks for your post on the Board- very interesting. Like Lissette and others I would like to know more about you guys. video is my favorite as it is easier than reading and i get to see you as a person more. again, thanks, you guys are inspirational in your dedication and service.

justinreilly

"Cautious Activity" not "Graded Exercise"

The emphasis is all wrong.
The problem with "graded exercise" is the approach sends the wrong message. It puts the emphasis on exercise, and only mentions post exertion malaise in passing. I think that if they really wanted to be helpful, the paradigm should be "pacing and relapse prevention." And then cover exercise within this framework. And they should be instructed that their patients are sick, and not just out of shape.
[Emphasis added]

Sorry for this non-sequitor. I am going thru the posts in order and this one caught my attention. let me know if this kind of thing disrupts the flow of the thread.

I think Andrew's point here is key. Within the framework of 'pacing and relapse prevention' should be mention of 'cautious activity' (or something to this effect, rather than the term 'graded exercise'). 'Graded exercise' is a bad term because it's not exercise in the common understanding (merely activity) and it should not be graded- ie ratcheted up, unless well tolerated.

Something like this- "Cautious Activity: Encourage ME patients to be as active as possible without causing Post-Exertional Morbidity [ok I like to tweak phrases]. All or almost all patients already are active to this extent or beyond, so this typically needs to be mentioned only as a caution against overdoing it (as opposed to a caution against underdoing it)."

Dolphin

I still say some more public and doctor awareness needs more attention than politician awareness. I think politicians respond to the public, particularly when it is in public displays. We have got to get this illness out of the closets and the bedrooms. With the Internet, there is an opportunity we didn't have 10 years ago.

Tina and others, you might be interested in these articles:

http://www.cfidsreport.com/Arch-articles.htm
The Power of a Personal Story

What is the most underutilized weapon in defeating public apathy toward CFS? Our stories! This series looks at the impact that personal stories have played in helping defeat public apathy toward a variety of illnesses. Then, advice is given on how the CFS community can best make use of this powerful tool. This series is a great series for local support groups. (5-2003)

Part 1 - Introduction - Personal stories are often the best way to change the public's hearts and minds.

Part 2 - The Jim Eisenreich Story - A Homerun for Tourettes Syndrome. What appeared to be a lose all situation for Jim Eisenreich turned out to be the story that educated me on the cost of Tourettes. Could stories of CFS do the same?

Part 3 - Ryan White - AIDS hits middle America - No advocacy community has been more savvy about using personal stories than the AIDS community. Ryan White's story got middle America involved in defeating AIDS.

Part 4 - Using Personal Stories to Defeat CFS - What can we do to make personal stories work for us? The last part of the series focuses on strategy and effectively using personal stories to combat CFS.
I agree that one can influence politicians indirectly - if they feel a campaign has the public's backing, they can be more likely to respond.

Dolphin

[Emphasis added]

Sorry for this non-sequitor. I am going thru the posts in order and this one caught my attention. let me know if this kind of thing disrupts the flow of the thread.

I think Andrew's point here is key. Within the framework of 'pacing and relapse prevention' should be mention of 'cautious activity' (or something to this effect, rather than the term 'graded exercise'). 'Graded exercise' is a bad term because it's not exercise in the common understanding (merely activity) and it should not be graded- ie ratcheted up, unless well tolerated.

Something like this- "Cautious Activity: Encourage ME patients to be as active as possible without causing Post-Exertional Morbidity [ok I like to tweak phrases]. All or almost all patients already are active to this extent or beyond, so this typically needs to be mentioned only as a caution against overdoing it (as opposed to a caution against underdoing it)."
I think part of the problem with some information on the exercise isn't necessarily with the CAA but with doctors they rely on. For example, Lucinda Bateman is too into exercise for my liking. Not the only example but one example:
"Once metabolic syndrome is recognized, you can do the following: ... Develop a tolerable regimen of physical
activity that will help prevent weight gain."
(source: www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2008/040906.pdf)
If one looks at studies from Fred Friedberg and the Netherlands, even when people try to use CBT to persuade patients to go for walks, people don't do any extra steps in total.
Even Nancy Klimas says things on exercise I have problems with. Advice on exercise for FMS patients isn't suitable for ME/CFS patients.

So I have a bit of sympathy in a way for the CAA. But I still don't think exercise should be encouraged particularly, like you say.

usedtobeperkytina

I think some think "physical activity" and "exercise" is the same thing. The problem is exercise normally brings to mind weight lifting, running or aerobics.

But, I think Klimas and other CFS doctors are talking about body movement, stretching or other things like that.

And I gave CAA my personal story. I don't know if they have used it.

But, if we can get a person's attention enough to tell it, then I agree, the personal stories can be compelling and educational.

Tina

I think, depending on level of illness, some body activity can be good. The key is knowing what kind, how much and not exacerbating symptoms.

Tina

Dolphin

I think some think "physical activity" and "exercise" is the same thing. The problem is exercise normally brings to mind weight lifting, running or aerobics.

But, I think Klimas and other CFS doctors are talking about body movement, stretching or other things like that.
Different doctors say different things - what you said isn't true for all of them and they certainly often don't make clear that some light activity e.g. 5 minutes walking, is not something everyone will be able to do.

I've seen things I didn't like: e.g. "Doc to Doc: The “Skinny” on Exercise and CFS" http://www.cfids.org/sparkcfs/exercise.pdf

Fred Friedberg is now recommending graded activity for the quarter of patients who are least active. For other groups, he is more nuanced. (Not sure how relevant that is to the CAA but my overall point is that I don't think the professionals necessarily get the issue).

justinreilly

Yes, and this is why names are key. Klimas and others are sloppy about nomeclature; like Klimas sometimes calling ME/CFIDS "chronic fatigue".

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Different doctors say different things - what you said isn't true for all of them and they certainly often don't make clear that some light activity e.g. 5 minutes walking, is not something everyone will be able to do.

I've seen things I didn't like: e.g. "Doc to Doc: The Skinny on Exercise and CFS" http://www.cfids.org/sparkcfs/exercise.pdf.

Hey that's a great little quote button. I didn't even know that it existed. Yes Fred told me in an interview that about 3/4's of patients are doing too much and that about 1/4 are doing too little. Staci Stevens believes about the same thing. I guess that means that few patients are doing just about right :)

Fred Friedberg is now recommending graded activity for the quarter of patients who are least active. For other groups, he is more nuanced. (Not sure how relevant that is to the CAA but my overall point is that I don't think the professionals necessarily get the issue)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
[Emphasis added]

Loving this quote button. That first sentence is generally followed I think. Its the second that is not well understood. A part of CBT and other therapies - at least as Ive seen them described - is to avoid the push-crash cycle; pushing too hard and then crashing. The fact that if you push too hard you crash - that can only imply a physiological problem can it not?

I think that researchers are slowly getting this on both sides of the aisle. I think it was Bleijenberg, a big CBT guy, who a year or so ago penned a paper stating that he thought that post exertional malaise should be a hallmark symptom for this disease (aka the Canadian Criteria) and he based that idea, ironically, partly on the CDC's HPA axis studies. Then he went through a scenario of pro-inflammatory cytokine activation parts of which could have come from Dr. Peterson or Dr. Maes.

I think researchers may be less dogmatic and more open to ideas than we think. I don't know how open we are to that idea, though.