• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beiger's German XMRV research published in Lab4 Newsletter

Countrygirl

This is a Lab4 lab report in their newsletter about Bieger's finding, in associaton with Heidleberg University, of 20-40% of German Fukuda-defined ME being positive for XMRV

http://www.facebook.com/notes/xmrv-...-40-of-a-cohort-of-110-peop/10150253684766797

XMRV - a new retrovirus

In October 2009, CFS with a new retrovirus associated, the
been found for the first time in 2006 in patients with prostate cancer was. At 68 of 101 CFS patients (67%), the human gamma retrovirus XMRV (Xenotropic Murine
Leukemia virus-related virus found), and only 3.7% of 218 healthy
Control subjects.

XMRV represents a new class of retroviruses that are different from the Murine leukemia virus (MLV) derived by mutation and also for human infectious
has become. XMRV is a specific membrane receptor (XPR1), which is not
only by prostate cells but also of immune cells (T cells, B lymphocytes) expressed
is recorded. Healthy cells can both infected cells (viral DNA)
be infected as well as by plasma (viral RNA) of CFS patients, the
Amount of virus in infected blood, however, is extremely low, since the replication of
Retroviruses in blood cells is almost completely blocked. The infectivity is
obviously very low, familial clusters occur, but under current
Knowledge rarely. The infection in humans has not yet been clarified,
Blood transfusions are probably only in exceptional cases considered.
XMRV has strong immunosuppressive and neurotoxic properties
making it as the cause of many immunological and neurovegetative
Complications in CFS patients predestined. The virus can replicate by
proinflammatory cytokines (TNF-alpha) and oxidative metabolites of NF-kB-dependent
Mechanisms are enhanced. At this point, could have different stressors
such as environmental pollution, psychological stress, infections, inflammation of effect
. come Among the special features of XMRV / MLV also includes a
Glucocorticoid response element (GRE) with control function. GRE can
Steroid hormones (cortisol, androgens) stimulate the viral replication and toxicity
increase of XMRV. A property that the insufficient sensitivity to cortisol
Can justify the treatment of CFS and the frequent lack of cortisol in CFS
Hydrocortisone can be viewed critically.

After the first description of Lombardi came a further study by Lo (2010) even
to 86.5% detection rate MLV / XMRV-associated DNA in CFS patients and only 6.8%
in healthy controls. However, several other groups before and after it came to
consistently negative results. Most recently, thus increasing the suspicion
expressed that it is among the few positive studies methodological
Errors and also could act to prevent contamination (Kearney, 2010; Mikovits, 2010a).
In Germany could not XMRV in prostate CA (Fischer, 2008) nor in the previously
are single study of CFS Hohn (2010) found. The contamination of argument
is not justified. But why was XMRV from several European and
American groups have not found? The explanation is that the
Detection of XMRV in the blood is extremely costly, sophisticated than any previous
known virus proof. In general, it is not enough XMRV (RNA) in plasma
XMRV or DNA to be found in lymphocytes by PCR, RT-PCR or nested PCR.
Immune cells possess highly efficient anti-retroviral Hemmsysteme still
all the APOBEC3 system that block the replication of retroviruses effectively. The
Patient's cells are therefore usually several weeks under the stimulating
Cultivated conditions and beyond even with hochsuszeptiblen, inhibitor-free
LNCaP cells co-cultured. Only then is the molecular genetic detection of such
using nested-PCR. However, recently an ultra-sensitive extraction method
for viral RNA available, which makes the direct detection promising. The
Detection rate depends strongly on the appropriate PCR method and the selected
Primers from. Much evidence suggests that blood cells are not a primary reservoir for XMRV and the virus primarily in various tissues (CNS, prostate, intestinal mucosa)
accumulates.

XMRV regularly induces humoral immune responses. Already in the first
CFS / XMRV work of Lombardi were regularly XMRV antibodies in the
Disorder. Not only were rare and no antibodies XMRV
Detectable virus. With the optimized now methods of virus detection and
of antibody detection, the detection rate of XMRV infection to nearly 80 -
90% of CFS patients tested increased. Our own studies in cooperation
Immunological Institute with the University. Heidelberg (R. Wallich) have conducted at 110 Cases in approximately 20-40% for the detection of XMRV virus and antibodies in or XMRV Western blot.

With the confirmation of XMRV in CFS course the question is not answered,
whether this retrovirus is also responsible for the clinical manifestation of CFS.
XMRV could have a trigger function for other disease factors affecting the
actual cause disease. Conversely XMRV could be latent
and be sufficiently activated only by other events. The reactivation of
Herpes viruses such as EBV on the floor of an existing XMRV infection could
So be absolutely essential for the actual disease. Other infections
serious illness, serious environmental pollution or excessive stress
could lead on cortisol or inflammatory factors in the proliferation of XMRV and
mark the onset of the disease.

Since the detection of XMRV in CFS and in special cases of prostate CA
the search for further XMRV-associated disorders started. It is known
that in CFS sufferers frequently lymphoproliferative disorders such as Hodgkin's disease
that occur both the immunotoxic properties of both the XMRV
attributable to proliferative potential of EBV could be. Particularly noteworthy
seems to be the high prevalence of post-Lyme syndrome XMRV in (post-treatment
lyme disease, chronic lyme disease), which has only really with Borrelia in
Been associated. The following diseases are now with
XMRV associated.

Table: XMRV disease associations in discussion
Prostate CA
CFS
Fibromyalgia
Post-Lyme syndrome
Lymphoproliferative diseases
MS
Parkinson
AS
Autism
Peripheral neuropathy
Autoimmune neuropathy
Dementia

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think the establishment/psychobabblers will say that its contamination from german beer as the same retrovirus in beer, is the same beer that mice drink.

It will be interesting to see what Coffin says about this latest study. Cant wait to see the next lot of positive studies to come out too.

cheers!!!

eric_s

I think the establishment/psychobabblers will say that its contamination from german beer as the same retrovirus in beer, is the same beer that mice drink.

It will be interesting to see what Coffin says about this latest study. Cant wait to see the next lot of positive studies to come out too.

cheers!!!
But hey, didn't you know in Germany they have a beer purity law? They take beer very seriously there :D

Thanks a lot for posting. I just read the original newsletter. It's from 28/6. Lab4more is Dr. Bieger's own lab, as far as i know, or at least he holds a part of it. I just got my results back from them and think it's a good lab, the report is very detailed, with explanations, graphs, etc. for everything.

He obviously is quite confident about the findings, that's good to see. When i saw him he said i should keep everything he told me about the XMRV testing confidential, so now he seems to think he can make it more public.

I hope they will publish their work when it's ready, as a blinded study with controls.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
But hey, didn't you know in Germany they have a beer purity law? They take beer very seriously there :D

Thanks a lot for posting. I just read the original newsletter. It's from 28/6. Lab4more is Dr. Bieger's own lab, as far as i know, or at least he holds a part of it. I just got my results back from them and think it's a good lab, the report is very detailed, with explanations, graphs, etc. for everything.

He obviously is quite confident about the findings, that's good to see. When i saw him he said i should keep everything he told me about the XMRV testing confidential, so now he seems to think he can make it more public.

I hope they will publish their work when it's ready, as a blinded study with controls.

Eric, in reguards to the purity law in germany, Im from australia and here we will drink anyones beer, lol.

I hope when and if coffin or the CDC reply to this that someone can post it straight away for us to see. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, of cause im betting they will just go with their old faithful line of contamination with nothing to back it up. I wonder if elaine defreitas is sitting back with a smile on her face, mmm. and a beer, lol.

cheers!!!

eric_s

Hehehe, obviously it's hot down there :D

I guess Coffin or the CDC will not comment on this as long as it's not published or they are directly confronted with it at a conference or such a place.

Deatheye

Did anyone hear anthing about Dr. Bieger? I'm kinda wiating for a comment from him about XMRV / HGRV. Even more then from Judy. Cause he sad he got bether results after talking to judy and actually found positives after his first try.
Since the BEG negativ results I'm kinda hoping for an explanation of his results.

eric_s

I think you won't hear much from him. He seemed quite confident about his group's XMRV results some months back, but i think in the current situation he will probably not say anything, no matter wheter he still believes in his results or not. If he doesn't, why would he go around saying he was wrong and if he still believes in them, he would draw a lot of questions on him.

Deatheye

If he doesn't, why would he go around saying he was wrong and if he still believes in them, he would draw a lot of questions on him.

Well maybe that's just me but if I still would believe in my work I would try to defend it. If I wasn't sure I would try to find oiut what's really going on. And if not I would feel comiited to solve the confusion I'm part of cause of a wrong statment.

eric_s

I was only speculating, so i might have been totally wrong of course. I just think that in this moment you would not only have to defend your work, you would have to defend your entire career and reputation, so maybe he's waiting for somebody else to take the heat. Maybe it's smarter to work in silence at the moment, if you still believe in XMRV. But i don't know if he still does believe in it or not.

Jemal

I was only speculating, so i might have been totally wrong of course. I just think that in this moment you would not only have to defend your work, you would have to defend your entire career and reputation, so maybe he's waiting for somebody else to take the heat. Maybe it's smarter to work in silence at the moment, if you still believe in XMRV. But i don't know if he still does believe in it or not.

I agree, I think several scientists are working in silence and trying to strengthen their case. At least that would be what I would be doing. And maybe some of them have lost interest and are trying to sneak off by not speaking about it again... I guess it might not look good on your resume at the moment. This is all speculation though, we don't know what these people are doing, as they are not speaking up.

eric_s

Exactly. In my opinion the ball is now totally in their court. They have the possibility to prove they are right about XMRV/HGRV, but they have to do it. We could try to help them with that, for example by providing a neutral and trustworthy third party that can send them coded samples, but apart from that i guess we have to let them do their thing now. If they want silence they can get it and if they want attention they will probably automatically get it, as soon as they say "X"...