• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ear plugs and eye masks

maddietod

My neighbor is renovating the entire inside of his house. He's moved out and left me with the noise. They start at 6:30.

I've tried drugstore earplugs, and they make my ears sore. Does anybody know of something that reduces noise (doesn't have to shut it out completely), that is gentle on the ear canal?

While I'm at it, any recommendations for a very soft eye mask?

Thanks,

Madie, USA

'dreamgirl earplugs' - they're smaller and softer than normal ones. Maybe less good for blocking out sound - but a lot better than nothing.

Are there any quieter rooms in the house you could sleep in? Hope it goes okay. Good luck with it all, and getting a few early nights.

maddietod

Thanks, Esther! I'm already googling dreamgirls. All of the bedrooms are on that side of the house, and the living room is even closer to the noise. I think earplugs will do the trick - I just need the edge taken off.

mellster

Marco
How about a white noise machine ? Even loud white noise tends to put you to sleep and it is very effective at canceling out everything else. And you can combine the white noise machine with the earplugs, great combo.

maddietod

Nope, they drive me crazy. Anyway, the noise I'm talking about is the BEEP BEEP BEEP of a large truck backing up, punctuated with slamming truck doors. This punches right through my defenses - and through white noise.

However, if the earplugs hurt or aren't enough on their own, I will absolutely try white noise again. And maybe really really thick blanketing over the window on that side.

LaurelW

Silicone earplugs, such as Mac's brand, cut out much more noise than the foamy kinds. They are made to go over the ear canal, not in it (although I break them in half and stick them in and they work fine).

My neighbor is renovating the entire inside of his house. He's moved out and left me with the noise. They start at 6:30.

A lot of cities have restrictions on how early noisy construction work can start ... might be worth while to see if there's a relevant law in your area.

JAH

Hi Madie,

I truly sympathize- I had to move out when my neighbor renovated her place! Impossible to rest. I use the eyemask from inspa, not sure if there is a location near you, but it is very soft and cushoined. I also use the orange foam earplugs, by howard leight. I find them more comfortable than the silicon ones.
good luck,

JAH

maddietod

I love posting here! Look at all the help I get!

I live very close to shopping, so I bought a bunch of things to try, and will return the leftovers. The orange Leight earplugs refuse to fit into my ears. I found pink ones (of course) for women - smaller and lighter, and these fit. [Esther, I can't get the dreamgirls locally. Laurel, silicone is uncomfortable for me.] I also found 2 eye masks, and one bulges out slightly so I can open my eyes with the mask on. I like that feature, but the other mask is a bit smaller around. So I'll try one tonight, and the other tomorrow, and see how it goes.

My neighbor said he'd talk to the workers, but then left town for a week. I've seen his car around today, so I'll give him a call and see what he says about the noise.

zoe.a.m.

Silicone earplugs, such as Mac's brand, cut out much more noise than the foamy kinds. They are made to go over the ear canal, not in it (although I break them in half and stick them in and they work fine).
This is what I use as well, just half and kind of wedged in. Anything foam just makes noise in my ears from my breathing and keeps me awake. For sleep masks, I am a repeat customer of Bucky Shades. Love them. They make a newer kind, a lighter mask called "40 Blinks" I think, which I tried but don't use for sleep because I am used to the slight weight of the silk or velour shades. These are the only ones that really fit right around my head, let no light in and are not too loose. Oh, and Bucky Shades come with a set of ear plugs (they fit in a slim front pocket of the front of the mask), but I don't think I've used them in years. Not sure what brand they are.

I'm curious about these "dreamgirls," and am going to have to check them out.

I heartily agree about construction start times/laws; that is nonsense that a neighbor can move out and leave you with the noise at that hour. I suppose they may be working very long days to get done as quickly as possible, but still...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
While I'm at it, any recommendations for a very soft eye mask?
Thanks,
Madie, USA

I am a fan of Bucky's eye mask too. Some times I actually use 2 pairs--one from CVS pharmacy that stands out from the eye and either a Bucky's or another less expensive silky one that you find in health food stores. No brand name on it that I can see.

Sushi

maddietod

Well, last night was a total bust, so I'll go hunt down some silicone and Bucky's today. Sushi, do you use both masks at the same time?

I sometimes find that if I've been woken up at a certain time for a few days, and it will take me a while to re-adjust once I've sorted the problem - I can also feel more irate about any continued noise, which makes sleep harder. Could this be one of the reasons you're waking up even now you have ear-plugs etc? Or is it still really noisy anyway?

Good luck with it all, and I hope you start sleeping well soon.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The typical drugstore earplugs tend to be bad for sleeping.

Synthetic down-filled earplugs are unlikely to hurt your ears and can cut out more noise than you think, so they're worth trying if foam plugs (I'm currently using Howard Leight Multimax - not a fan of the other Leight earplugs) don't fit well.

maddietod

I bought the Leight 'superleight for women' which are lighter and smaller. They spent the night working their way to freedom, and were half way out by the time they woke me up at 4:30. I haven't seen the synthetic down-filled ones (sounds crackly!).

I talked with the neighbor, and he can control everybody except the container-delivery people. I haven't heard a sound this morning. It was the expanding earplugs and shifting eyemask that woke me up! But I wake up anyway, so.............still working on it!

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Earplugs actually get quieter after you use them a few times, as they get softer.

My favourite ear plugs were these ones:
http://www.epinions.com/Earplugs-Flents_Quiet_Down_Fiber-Filled_Ear_Plugs_NRR_22
These are the softest/most comfortable/least likely to fall out. Unfortunately, like many good things, they were taken off the market (along with Blisom 202s). Now people are charging $3/pair on ebay and other auction sites.

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
I couldn't use the eye masks that the drugstore carries- too rustly and stiff. I got an inexpensive one that works great by Earth Therapeutics. It's made from silk and cotton and is very comfortable. It has a velcro on elastic back and is adjustable. The earplugs are a problem- I've tried every kind I think. The ones that really work, the silicone type, can make my ears hurt or itch, but they do stay in best. I'm sorry you're having this problem. I can sympathize- we have a rooster in our neighborhood that starts screaming around 5 am every morning.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well, last night was a total bust, so I'll go hunt down some silicone and Bucky's today. Sushi, do you use both masks at the same time?

I do--pretty weird! But I hate light when trying to sleep. They both have velcro adjustment straps so it is not uncomfortable.

I just spent 3 months in Spain where every room has "outside the window" total blinds--they totally block out light so I am spoiled. How come good technologies like this don't spread from country to country? My friend in Spain said that he never understood American movies where he saw people wearing eye masks...until he came to the US and quickly bought one.

Sushi