• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

immune booster side effects?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
my Lyme doctor, an MD/ND, prescribed an herbal formula to boost NK cell function. I think it gives me a headache and increased brain inflammation. He said that was expected and showed the formula was working (though he expressed sympathy).

Is this something others experience? Cuz I really don't like increasing brain inflammation. I expect that's supposed to be temporary... but I just wanted to check with you all

Nielk

Hi Willow,

I am certainly not an expert at this. Others have much more experience with it but, GcMAF is an immune modulator.
I just finished reading the whole thread on it and noticed many people complaining about the side effects that you mention, including headaches and feeling of increased brain inflammation. Maybe that's an expected side effect for a while but, I also noticed that when they reduced the dosage, the side effects were also reduced, They can probably elaborate on it more.

Can I ask you what herbal formula you were prescribed to boost immune function.

I hope you feel better,
Nielk

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
my Lyme doctor, an MD/ND, prescribed an herbal formula to boost NK cell function. I think it gives me a headache and increased brain inflammation. He said that was expected and showed the formula was working (though he expressed sympathy).

Is this something others experience? Cuz I really don't like increasing brain inflammation. I expect that's supposed to be temporary... but I just wanted to check with you all

Hi Willow,

Maybe you could ask him/her if this formula will increase the number of NK cells as well as increase function.

I ask because my NK cell function is already too high (I think this may be common) and my doc says I have an extremely overactive immune system that is more or less spinning its wheels--trying hard but not getting the job done.

Inflammation is always something to consider.

Best,
Sushi

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Thanks, Sushi and Nielk. I'll try to look through the other threads when I have more time.

I don't see that he tested the actual killing power, but the number of cells marked CD8-/CD57+ was low. He did not count any other type of cell marker, just that kind, which he said was specific for Lyme. Asking whether numbers and function are expected to change is a good question, thanks. :)

I am trying to get a full panel or a CD56+ or something that would help me know if ME/CFS is a good diagnosis for me (I think so because of the PEM with lowered breathing, but it would be nice to get some tests which would tend to confirm this).

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
oh, and the herbal formula is Transfer Factor LymPlus (proprietary blend of transfer factors, not stated what they are?, Beta Glucan [from baker's yeast, which could be a problem], and IP-6 [from rice bran, evidently Inositol Hexaphosphate, an antioxidant and vitamin B derivative]... other ingredients colostrum fractions [! source not listed], lactobacilus, gelatin)

then a Chinsese herb, to kill B. burgdorferi (proprietary blend, no ingredients?), which I haven't started yet (he does plan to use actual antibiotics later)

Timaca

Willow J~
Just wondering if you stayed on this product or not. And if you got over your headaches. Also who makes it?

Best, Timaca

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
hi Timaca,

I did stay on that one for some time, although I have been having troubles with something and I stopped taking it and several other things to help decide what. I think it's something else, but I'm not sure yet. Haven't had the scary brain inflammation thing in a while, though (it's a different reaction that's bothering me atm).

The LymPlus is made by Researched Nutritionals.

best,
willowj

Some useful tests that might give you an indication your immune function is abnormal toward CFS/ME are"

Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute

http://www.nicholsinstitute.com/TestDetail.aspx?TestID=1487
Lymphocyte Subset Panel 1 7197X
Includes: Absolute Lymphocytes, Absolute CD3, Percentage CD3, Absolute CD4, Percentage CD4, Absolute CD8, Percentage CD8, CD4/CD8 Ratio (calculated), Absolute CD16/56, Percentage CD16/56, Absolute CD19, Percentage CD19

PLUS

http://www.nicholsinstitute.com/TestDetail.aspx?TestID=2742
Natural Killer Cell Functional Assay, FC
Natural Killer (NK) cells, a component of the cell-mediated arm of the immune system, mediate destruction of some types of tumor cells and virus-infected cells. Decreased NK cytotoxicity is associated with impaired immune surveillance, and may explain a predisposition to malignancy and viral infections.

PLUS

Labcorp Immunoglobulin G, Subclasses (1-4)
IgG Subclasses
IgG1,2,3,4

There are four subtypes, of which IgG1 and IgG2 comprise 85% of the total. IgG1 and IgG3 fix complement best; IgG3 is hyperaggregable and effects serum viscosity disproportionately.

IgG antibody responses to certain antigens occur to a greater extent in one type of IgG subclass than another. Therefore, some patients with normal total IgG levels may have problems with pyogenic infections because they do not produce IgG2 or combinations of IgG2, IgG3, and/or IgG4. Some clinically significant IgG subclass deficiencies occur in patients who have IgA deficiency.

The four subclasses of IgG differ in the constant regions of their heavy chains. A patient may have a normal total IgG yet still have a significant decrease in one subclass. IgG1 deficiencies are associated with EBV infections, IgG2 with sinorespiratory infections and infections with encapsulated bacteria, IgG3 with sinusitis and otitis media, and IgG4 with allergies, ataxia telangiectasia, and sinorespiratory infections. See tables in individual subclass listings.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
thanks; this is more useful then "send my blood to Klimas' university for experimental testing" which was the previous solution I had come up with, but was reluctant to suggest to my doctor, as I didn't suppose that would be covered by insurance. Or, I knew there was a full NKC assay, but hadn't chased down where to get it yet or what exactly the name was again. Thanks for posting the results of your legwork!

So far the main immune tests I've had are the normal ones a rheum would think to do if suspecting Lupus/RA/similar (my ANA is elevated) and the CD57 mentioned above.