• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tilt Table Test in Vancouver, Canada

alice111

My GP is pretty useless, as exemplified by her inability to know where to get a tilt table test in Vancouver, British Columbia. Does anyone know who does this here?

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Hi, jassysan, and welcome to the forums!

My first thought was too look through the lists of doctors on various web sites for dysautonomia (e.g., http://www.ndrf.org/physicia.htm, http://www.dinet.org/physicians.htm). Unfortunately, nothing was listed for Vancouver, BC.

Maybe you could start by calling the UBC Hospital to ask them whether they perform tilt table tests (aka, head up tilt)? I'm guessing you'd ask for the cardiology department.

There are more posts on tilt table testing and coping with symptoms of autonomic dysfunction in the forum labelled "Problems When Standing/Orthostatic Intolerance" (hope this link works - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/foru...hen-Standing-Orthostatic-Intolerance-POTS-NMH... )

Best of luck to you!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My GP is pretty useless, as exemplified by her inability to know where to get a tilt table test in Vancouver, British Columbia. Does anyone know who does this here?

Also, a TTT done correctly can give good info. But the interpretation is as important as the test. A lot of cardios don't know how to set up the TTT and interpret it to give autonomic nervous system information. So, if you do find a provider, you might want to ask some questions.

And BTW, it is not a fun test! Takes some recovery time for many of us.

Best wishes,
Sushi

TinyT

Also, a TTT done correctly can give good info. But the interpretation is as important as the test. A lot of cardios don't know how to set up the TTT and interpret it to give autonomic nervous system information. So, if you do find a provider, you might want to ask some questions.

And BTW, it is not a fun test! Takes some recovery time for many of us.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Very very good advice Sushi. I agree- the protocol used for the test & interpretation is VERY important.

For example, I had a cannula inserted less than 5mins before my TTT which is not good for interpreting autonomic function (if you get a vasovagal response- fainting- from needles OR an excess spike in adrenaline) it will skew the results.

I also was only tilted to 60 degrees. I have read that 70-80 is recommended for POTS assessment. I was only left there for 21mins before administration of nitroglycerin (drug challenge to bring on symptoms). I have read that 30-45mins is needed to rule out Neurally Mediated Hypotension (NMH).

I did have an inital HR increase of 33 bpm on my tilt table test (they did not have continous HR & BP monitoring- which is recommended for autonomic dysfunction testing) and a systolic BP increase of 30mmHg (which is indicative of hyperadrenergic POTS- normal people have no change or slight decrease in systolic BP and a slight increase in diastolic BP). OH and the nitro gave me a 55bpm heart rate increase (even before my BP dropped- an excessive response I think!)

BUT- went back to the public hospital cardio who said my test results were 'absolutely normal!' !!!!!???!?!???

Check out the dinet website, lots of great info and links to articles too.

Good luck

Kati

Patient in training

Dr Krassioukov (GF Strong and the Spine building on W 12th) has done a TTT on me. however he specializes in paraplegic people and has no clue about MECFS. In fact dr Klimas who diagnosed me with POTS, wrote that my Vancouver TTT should have been done over 30 minutes and not over 10, and that he should have used a real tilt table, not moving me from reclining, to sitting to standing. A real tilt table does everything for you, you don't move. It has skewed the results so that I was not meeting the criteria for POTS. also he didn't have much more to offer as I am already on Atenolol on this. no further meds or testing was recommended- unless I am in complete autonomic failure. i must say Dr Krassioukov is a real gentleman, but he has not much time for new patients, the government allows him only 5 per month and he seems to be restricted by budget to perform tests other than TTT. good luck.