• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccine hope for prostate cancer sufferers

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
This has nothing to do with XMRV.

I've tried reading the paper, and while I don't fully understand the methods it still seems like an excellent way to induce an autoimmune disease. They claim they didn't find evidence of autoimmune responses in limited number of the mice they tested, but they sensitised the lymphocytes with human prostate cancer cDNA expressed by VSV, not mouse DNA. It follows that a general autoimmune response is much more likely in humans than mice.

Bob

This has nothing to do with XMRV.

I've tried reading the paper, and while I don't fully understand the methods it still seems like an excellent way to induce an autoimmune disease. They claim they didn't find evidence of autoimmune responses in limited number of the mice they tested, but they sensitised the lymphocytes with human prostate cancer cDNA expressed by VSV, not mouse DNA. It follows that a general autoimmune response is much more likely in humans than mice.

Yes, sorry, I should have said that the article has nothing to do with XMRV. I just thought it was interesting anyway.

I don't understand the theory behind it either.

Enid

I did find very interesting Bob if only because 2 members of my family died of prostrate cancer (inc. Dad) so one does consider anything/tendancy inherited.

Bob

Here's a new article on both prostate cancer & breast cancer...

Although XMRV is not mentioned in this article, I found it interesting to read, in relation to the XMRV story...
XMRV has reportedly been found in both prostate cancer and in breast cancer. (There is a patent application by Dr Singh in which she reports finding XMRV in 25% of breast cancer samples.)
It has been suggested that XMRV is activated by hormones, and the article says that both prostate cancer and breast cancer can be stimulated by hormones.
The article says "Hormone treatments like tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors are ineffective against up to 30% of breast cancers", and that's about the percentage (25%) in which Dr Singh found XMRV in breast cancer.

It's all food for thought.

Breast cancer prostate drug hope
By James Gallagher
Health reporter, BBC News
25 June 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13905331