• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

strange reaction after going #2....

sensing progress

This is strange and Im a bit embarrassed to post here or ask my doctor but I guess I will anyway. I noticed that I often feel quite a bit worse right after defecating. Like if I have "good"/decent energy beforehand, then suddenly afterwards I feel almost light-headed and my energy level plummets. This can then last for a couple hours or more. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? Obviously it seems to be gut-related I think

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
could it be related to blood pressure spike from straining?

I don't know, but usual advice for light-headedness and energy level plummets, is drink water, check your blood pressure (if low, use electrolyte drink), eat something safe and nourishing with protein... if none of that helps (or doesn't help enough), check with your doctor

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
yes, it's likely as Willow says: caused by lowered BP, because of stimulating the vagus nerve, and it even has a name: defecation syncope

Feeling faint in the toilet - urinating (micturition syncope), defecating (defecation syncope)

If you strain when urinating or having a bowel movement the vagus nerve is stimulated, causing an increase in acetylcholine levels in the body. Acetylcholine dilates the blood vessels. Dilated blood vessels bring blood pressure down which reduces blood supply to the brain.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159609.php

Or the ol' wikipedia:

.../wikipedia/en/wiki/Vasovagal_episode#Cause

and the possibility of relating to P.O.T.S. is also there, on that page.

sensing progress

*GG*

Yes, isn't this forum grand. I was a little hesitant to read, but you were brave enought to post. Never know what you might learn on this Forum!

GG

Kati

Patient in training
It's a vaso-vagal reaction- I have gone close to pass out after diarrhea- It is autonomic related- POTS- NMH-

I told my very nice doctor and it is the answer I got- It made a lot of sense to her.

taniaaust1

Thanks sensing progress for being brave enough to start this thread.

The answers here make me wonder now if I may have that issue too some, I'd previously thought the tiredness I get when doing that (it can really tire me out.. like as in hard work) was just cause Im often constipated, so had previously thought it was due to just energy exertion of using ones muscles there.

the more I find out about POTS, the more complex I realise that disorder can be.