• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Opportunity Knocks: $250,000 for WPI in Vivint Contest

Great article, Cort! We're really in with a good chance to win this whole contest for the WPI, but we've really got to push for it.

About 700-800 people look at Phoenix Rising every day - there are almost enough of us here alone to win the contest!

Please do vote daily, everyone, and please do also make a WPI/Vivint signature for your posts. People in a community do what they see as the norm and it should be the norm on Phoenix Rising to vote in the contest and to show your support with a signature that will help create the expectation that we should all be taking part. :victory::victory::victory:

Respond here if you've voted*

Voted (I vote daily but you don't have to put that).

* The surveys have given very low responses on the forum but I'm hoping more people are actually voting; alternatively I should maybe look on the bright side and maybe there's room for more votes out of PR members - maybe we need a behaviour therapy room to persuade people to vote. ;)

It would be interesting to know how many people from this forum vote - this forum has big voting potential. but I dont know if we can really find out how many people from here vote.
I was thinking how we can get more members from this forum to vote. what about to ask directly the people who are in chat room or to create a chat room about voting - would it work?

It would be interesting to know how many people from this forum vote - this forum has big voting potential. but I dont know if we can really find out how many people from here vote.
I agree, Tuha, I'm not claiming this method or any method is scientific. But not that many people have posted on Vivint threads either in Round 1 or 2. And the poll for Round 1 I think only had 13 voters. We'll not get to the bottom of it I imagine but I like to ask.

Best of luck getting more voters.

My husband and I have voted everyday on separate Facebook accounts.

With 17 million people worldwide with this condition we should be blitzing the field.

I'm wondering has everyone across the world contacted the various M.E. organisations within their own countries? I'm thinking of South Africa for instance which is one country we don't seem to hear from many people on this forum. I'm guessing Eric and Jemal & some of the other European folks are agitating for response within Europe. Same as UK etc! Australia has a Vivint notice on the South Australian M.E. message board which is always widely read.........however there is often nothing like a personal invitation to potentially interested individuals to take up the challenge!

With 17 million people worldwide with this condition we should be blitzing the field.

I'm wondering has everyone across the world contacted the various M.E. organisations within their own countries? I'm thinking of South Africa for instance which is one country we don't seem to hear from many people on this forum. I'm guessing Eric and Jemal & some of the other European folks are agitating for response within Europe. Same as UK etc! Australia has a Vivint notice on the South Australian M.E. message board which is always widely read.........however there is often nothing like a personal invitation to potentailly interested individuals to take up the challenge!
Good idea for people to write to various local/state/regional/national/internation groups.

The Irish ME/CFS Association are flagging it on its website: http://irishmecfs.org/index.html and a text was sent out at the start of the month directing members there for instructions for Rounds 1 & 2.

I did a lot of work on Chase Community Giving, Rounds 1 & 2 and also some on Round 1 of Vivint. I'm behind in other ME work so I'll have to leave contacting groups to others. Best of luck. The earlier the better as we get more voters out of voters. Also, I'd be worried that if a group passed us out, some people might give up on their daily voting (while conversely, if we keep getting votes, other groups will probably give up).

I'm wondering has everyone across the world contacted the various M.E. organisations within their own countries? I'm thinking of South Africa for instance which is one country we don't seem to hear from many people on this forum. I'm guessing Eric and Jemal & some of the other European folks are agitating for response within Europe. Same as UK etc! Australia has a Vivint notice on the South Australian M.E. message board which is always widely read.........however there is often nothing like a personal invitation to potentailly interested individuals to take up the challenge!

I'd like to do some of this, especially for my own country (the UK) but when I searched, I couldn't find any forums with more than five or six people online! Is there a list anywhere of useful contacts?

I'd like to do some of this, especially for my own country (the UK) but when I searched, I couldn't find any forums with more than five or six people online! Is there a list anywhere of useful contacts?
Are you talking about searching on Facebook or elsewhere? If you want to do Facebook groups, I can send you my Facebook account name, you can become friends with me and look at the >100 groups I'm a member of (went around for Round 1 (especially) of Chase Community Giving looking for big (100+) and then medium (e.g. 50+) groups). (We can un-friend each other when you're finished - generally I have 100+ friends requests I'm ignoring atm - I tried to set up another Facebook account just for ME/CFS last night and then Facebook flagged it that they're concerned I have two accounts. :( )

There are lots of yahoogroups www.yahoogroups.com also around the world with various activity levels.

Are you talking about searching on Facebook or elsewhere? If you want to do Facebook groups, I can send you my Facebook account name, you can become friends with me and look at the >100 groups I'm a member of (went around for Round 1 (especially) of Chase Community Giving looking for big (100+) and then medium (e.g. 50+) groups). (We can un-friend each other when you're finished - generally I have 100+ friends requests I'm ignoring atm - I tried to set up another Facebook account just for ME/CFS last night and then Facebook flagged it that they're concerned I have two accounts. :( )

There are lots of yahoogroups www.yahoogroups.com also around the world with various activity levels.

Hi Dolphin - I'd really prefer not to use Facebook if possible - I only set up my a/c to vote in Chase & Vivint and otherwise I don't use it at all and don't want to have to learn how to do it (it's the sort of thing I have cognitive issues with)!

I will look at the yahoogroups!

Please don't forget about the importance of the IACFSME International conference in Ottawa. It's critical for research that these conferences are held so the scientists can meet and learn from each other. The National ME/FM Action Network is the host of the conference this year and need money to fund the conference. We need them to win the Canada region and $100,000.

We need more people voting for them too. Please cast some votes for http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/855

Thanks

Please don't forget about the importance of the IACFSME International conference in Ottawa. It's critical for research that these conferences are held so the scientists can meet and learn from each other. The National ME/FM Action Network is the host of the conference this year and need money to fund the conference. We need them to win the Canada region and $100,000.

We need more people voting for them too. Please cast some votes for http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/855

Thanks
Following the relative success of "Light and Love Home- Vancouver", I'm afraid I see a vote for the National ME/FM Action Network as virtually a wasted vote; not quite as bad as voting for Nightingale Research Foundation or IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and ME but almost in that category.

About the only thing that might change my mind would be if it was getting more votes than "Light and Love Home- Vancouver" which is going up by around 600 a day. Very hard for me to see the National ME/FM Action Network do that when the WPI are only getting around 1000 a day.

With all due respect, I think the National Me/FM Action Network could recover if some of WPI voters were to vote for it. WPI has a long way to go to get #1 overall but appears to be able to easily win their region. If the National was supported more we could get two ME/FM charities winning a region for $100000 each for $200000 total for research items.

If people follow your logic about it being a wasted voted then we will have a problem winning the region. I don't think it's a wasted vote. The Nightingale votes are a waste - they were only bumped up to top 20 so they could get in of the matchng donations.
I've just back from vacation so will only be starting this week to recruit more voters. The longer we go without WPI voter support the farther we'll fall behind. It wold be good if WPI voters could help get us bumped up quick.

My own view on this is that it's too early in the game to start to split the vote. We're only 6 days in to a 10-week contest and the WPI could get knocked off its perch if the other charities get more support down the line. If the WPI are seen to lose supporters, I think that would would be a morale boost to the other charities in its region and that they would try harder. According to Dolphin's figures, we're also seeing some big daily increases in some groups' votes, which suggest that they are very actively recruiting in these early stages now that the contest is underway (as are we). I wouldn't want to take support away from the WPI at this point.

I agree with Sasha, we must focus on our best hope, and that without doubt is the WPI. I vote daily, remind my email contacts daily, spend an hour on a vote exchange site daily which yields 30 - 100 votes each time. There are many vote exchange sites out there. I have yet to post on two big general forums where I have a profile - my only excuse is a big crash I've been dealing with. Darned disease.
:Sign Good Job: Thanks jace. That's great.