• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune system / Thyroid Antibodies

D

Djembe

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and have probably posted in the wrong spot - sorry if i have.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and you guys have done a great job with a lot of information. I notice that most peoples immune system problems seem to be with an underactive immune system and with them catching every illness that goes around.

For the past 15 years my immune system has been overactive with very very high autoimmune antibodies against my thyroid, the hormone levels have tested normal but the antibodies have been very high. I on the other hand seldom get sick with the flu or a cold. The only flu like symptom i get is a sore throat that never really gets worse - it just flares up when i am stressed or tired which is most of the time. I was wondering if anyone else has had their immune system behave the same way. Also not sure how the XMRV would fit this profile as i understood it to involve the immune system but more so with underactive immune system.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you.:eek:

hvs

For the past 15 years my immune system has been overactive with very very high autoimmune antibodies against my thyroid, the hormone levels have tested normal but the antibodies have been very high.

Yep, got thyroiditis after falling ill. Presumably it is all part of the immune dysfunction and should halt after putting xmrv into remission.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
I don't agree that every body or most PWCFS and ME have an under active immune system and catches everything going around.

My immune system tests show parts that are under and over active.

There are plenty of people showing antibodies to different things.

For the first 10 years of this disease I didn't get colds and flu's, just the same sore throat, glands etc. The it shifted then shifted back.

We are all different and there are many different patterns here.

hvs

I don't agree that every body or most PWCFS and ME have an under active immune system and catches everything going around.

My immune system tests show parts that are under and over active.

I agree, Alice. It is more that the immune system is all wonky and not that it's always a case of simply having no immune system. But the general trend among those who are ill long enough is that they eventually get bad infections of various organs.