• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help/Resources needed: Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth(SIBO) + Lupus + Sjogrens

anncavan

Hi friends,
My has been diagnosed with Sjogrens, recently Lupus (the type that shows itself in the form of skin rashes and mouth sores) and now they're talking Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth(SIBO).

For SIBO testing, she had to eat only white food for 24 hours (white bread, potatoes and chicken) before a saliva test. That sounds insane to me. My only guess is they wanted severe yeast overgrowth to show in the tests.

Her symptoms started to really up act after her recovery from knee replacement surgery. She had been on some serious pain medication, and of course it was stressful.

She also mentioned she'd had a foot fungus and was once put on 30 days of diflucan. She's not sure if that messed up her gut bacteria.

All of this sounded like things my fellow ME/CFS friends have gone through. Do any of you have any suggestions, resources, anything I can share with her? She lives in Iowa. I'm nervious these small town doctors don't know what's up. She's close to the Quad Cities and just a few hours from Iowa City... in case anyone has doctor rec's.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!

InvertedTree

Hi friends,
My has been diagnosed with Sjogrens, recently Lupus (the type that shows itself in the form of skin rashes and mouth sores) and now they're talking Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth(SIBO).

For SIBO testing, she had to eat only white food for 24 hours (white bread, potatoes and chicken) before a saliva test. That sounds insane to me. My only guess is they wanted severe yeast overgrowth to show in the tests.

Her symptoms started to really up act after her recovery from knee replacement surgery. She had been on some serious pain medication, and of course it was stressful.

She also mentioned she'd had a foot fungus and was once put on 30 days of diflucan. She's not sure if that messed up her gut bacteria.

All of this sounded like things my fellow ME/CFS friends have gone through. Do any of you have any suggestions, resources, anything I can share with her? She lives in Iowa. I'm nervious these small town doctors don't know what's up. She's close to the Quad Cities and just a few hours from Iowa City... in case anyone has doctor rec's.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!

I had SIBO and took Xifaxan for it. It's an antibiotic that is only utilized by the gut rather than the whole body. I had no side effects from it. Sometimes insurance won't pay for it but its worth a shot and should provide her with some relief.

I wish I knew of a doctor in IA but I don't. I hope this helps. It sounds like she is going through it right now.

anncavan

Just noticed I deleted *AUNT*!!! My AUNT is dealing with all of this.

@Inverted tree. Thank you so much for responding. So you say you HAD SIBO. Does that mean it can be cured? How long did you take the Xifaxan?

THANKS MUCH!!!!

Shellbell

Anncavan, I am assuming your aunt was given antibiotics due to her surgery? If they were broad spectrum, they can do nasty things to the body. That is how my problems all started. I am in the process of starting treatment for this and it doesn't involve taking more antibiotics. I am treating alternatively. I will let you know how it all goes.