• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GLUTATHIONE: Amazing "Before" & "After"...

dannybex

Check out this video of a gentleman who was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam, and went on to develop Parkinson's Disease...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYey8vELTg

Perhaps glutathione works mainly for people with chemical, solvent, pesticide or other environmental exposures (MCS), that may be part of their ME/CFS?

d.

Freddd

Check out this video of a gentleman who was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam, and went on to develop Parkinson's Disease...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYey8vELTg

Perhaps glutathione works mainly for people with chemical, solvent, pesticide or other environmental exposures (MCS), that may be part of their ME/CFS?

d.

Hi Danny,

Yes, that is an amazing video. The dose according to the video was 3000mg infusion. I think that the hazards of glutathione are perhaps dose related and/or frequency related and so on. I know of multiple up out of wheelchair results with b12 including almost myself. Also, please not to forget the recent research that appears to show that Parkinson's appears to be caused by 20+ years of adb12 shortage in the brain mitochondria damaging the neurons, and that b12 is needed for our bodies to generate glutathione. As Rich has pointed out, a lack of b12 means a lack of glutathione, among other things. So a lot of these things appear to be very tied together.

I think it is very important to learn to catch early Parkinson's before the damage is done. An mg of prevention might be a whole lot better than a kilogram of cure.

dannybex

I agree Fred. Dosage and frequency is probably really important, and from some of the reports here, it seems like perhaps some folks may have had a bad reaction after taking glutathione or the precursors it for too long. (And some had immediate bad reactions.)

Do you have a link to the research with adb12 and Parkinson's? I'd be really interested in that too.

My mother had Parkinson's, and I know I used some pesticides, etc., in the garden and around the house for almost 10 years. I'll get a tight left leg every once in awhile, but that did stop for about 2-3 years, after I tried nebulized glutathione (and b12) about 8-9 years ago. I had completely forgotten about the glutathione until I found receipts for it last week.

It really is amazing though isn't it. Definitely has the 'parkinson's shuffle' at the beginning. The man can function so much better after only 30 minutes...seems like a different guy.

anne_likes_red

I'd love to see the man's reaction to watching this video for himself. :)

That's some stunning effect. I'm really pleased for him!

caledonia

Amazing video!

I've had major improvement in my MCS from the methylation protocol (glutathione increase). About 80-90% improved.

The reason it works is, for every toxin molecule that you breathe/eat/drink/absorb, the liver uses up one glutathione molecule to get rid of it. If you're low in glutathione, you can't deal with it properly, thus MCS symptoms. If you raise glutathione, you can deal with it again, thus improvement in MCS.

anne_likes_red

Amazing video!

I've had major improvement in my MCS from the methylation protocol (glutathione increase). About 80-90% improved.

The reason it works is, for every toxin molecule that you breathe/eat/drink/absorb, the liver uses up one glutathione molecule to get rid of it. If you're low in glutathione, you can't deal with it properly, thus MCS symptoms. If you raise glutathione, you can deal with it again, thus improvement in MCS.

So pleased for you too Caledonia! Wow :))
How long since you started your methylation protocol?

determined

Wow is right, Caledonia! I have the same question as Anne. How long? Are there other symptoms that you feel haven't responded to the methylation supplements?

I started a "diluted speck" of mB12 and methylfolate in February, and energy-wise, I'm still doing really well. But.....my MCS is much more pronounced. Early in my illness, I couldn't go anywhere for a few years due to MCS. Is the methylation cycle treatment substituting one set of problems for another? I'm staying with my "homeopathic" dose and spacing (2 - 3X a week); hopefully very low and very slow will keep the weakness/flulike fatigue sensations away.

I have MTHFR and MTRR SNPs and I am a poor metabolizer.

I also get a big blast of chemical sensitivity when I increase my dose of doxycycline, but it subsides after only a day. This seems different.

As long as the chemical sensitivity doesn't get any worse than it is now, I'll take this deal!

Lotus97

Me and my dad both have MCS and I was reading that some people get benefit from taking nebulized Glutathione. Dr. Ziem says avoidance is still the best strategy and I agree, but it's good to know there's other ways to treat MCS. This is actually where I first learned about glutathione a few years ago.

Also, there are a lot of different ways to raise glutathione which should be considered besides just taking glutathione itself to raise glutathione since the other methods have other useful functions besides just raising glutathione. That said, if taking glutathione directly is the only thing that alleviates the symptoms then it's probably a good idea to take it even if it only brings temporary relief. Dr. Neil Nathan did say that it's possible for the body to stop producing glutathione on its own if you take glutathione on a regular basis, but I'm not sure how true that is because it would be very difficult to test even in a controlled study because there are so many variables involved.

caledonia

I haven't heard about the feedback inhibition if you take glutathione.

I found out there was some glutathione in one of the supplements my environmental medicine doc had me take early on, called Oxygarde Forte. I had grainfiller/naphtha smell (one of my exposures) coming out of my sweat and stinking up my clothes for a couple of years. I'm really glad I detoxed that stuff out (cancer causing - eek).

I'm still getting relief from MCS mainly off of methylfolate. I must have some B12 stores in there helping out, even though I'm showing some signs of B12 deficiency. I couldn't tolerate any mB12 at all due my CBS mutation. I've been treating it for several months and my tolerance for mB12 is gradually increasing.

Avoidance is still a good strategy even if you have better tolerance, you just don't need to be quite as strict about it (which is such a relief). But it's still not a license to go hog wild. I think we will always have to be at least somewhat careful so as to not make ourselves sick again once we recover.

Lotus97

I haven't heard about the feedback inhibition if you take glutathione.

I found out there was some glutathione in one of the supplements my environmental medicine doc had me take early on, called Oxygarde Forte. I had grainfiller/naphtha smell (one of my exposures) coming out of my sweat and stinking up my clothes for a couple of years. I'm really glad I detoxed that stuff out (cancer causing - eek).

I'm still getting relief from MCS mainly off of methylfolate. I must have some B12 stores in there helping out, even though I'm showing some signs of B12 deficiency. I couldn't tolerate any mB12 at all due my CBS mutation. I've been treating it for several months and my tolerance for mB12 is gradually increasing.

Avoidance is still a good strategy even if you have better tolerance, you just don't need to be quite as strict about it (which is such a relief). But it's still not a license to go hog wild. I think we will always have to be at least somewhat careful so as to not make ourselves sick again once we recover.
Methylation is a good way to raise glutathione for those who can tolerate it. You're not able to tolerate adb12 or even hydroxocobalamin?

caledonia

I have the same CBS problem with hB12. There's adB12 in my multivitamin, but I figure it has the same absorption problems as other B12s taken orally, so I'm not really getting any. Otherwise, I would get the same CBS problem again. They all go through the transsulfuration pathway to make glutathione. CBS is at the top of the transsulfuration pathway.

Once I get mB12 up to a reasonable level, then I plan on adding adB12 or hB12 (so I can get the adB12 in). Right now I'm dealing in 1/2 mcg drops. You read that right.

btdt

d.
I was looking forward this video but it appears not exist any longer. If anyone happens to find a link to it please nudge me. Thanks

btdt

WOW!
Thank you for finding the link Danny!

I don't look exactly like him in movement but there are things he does I identify with from the inside out... when he goes to turn it feels swing or swoosh feeling inside and puts out his hands to balance I know this. At times I can't move my one leg it happened getting off a bus even tho I wore my mask... must have been exposed to something the mask it not perfect... I had to drag my one leg all the way home I think the bus driver called the cops as one showed up and watched me for awhile waiting till I got to him... and asked if I was ok. It happens a lot people want to help... sometimes I am ok with it.. I never take the help usually depends if it is picking something up that I dropped I will.. but to put me in a cop car and take me to a hosp... cause my leg won't lift and needs to be dragged nope I am not going.. cause with me it will usually go away with rest ... GLUTATHIONE supplements I take in pill form and other things... rest a long time maybe a wk in bed... I am getting me an infusion that I know... I am not sure where yet but I am getting one...or many.
The other reasons to avoid a cops and hosp help is hosp do not know what to do with me... for the most part that has been proven time and again.. and I am more apt to be hurt there than helped... they don't get me and don't understand ..emrge is no place for a person like me unless I am bleeding badly have a broken bone or can't breath maybe an obvious infection... that is what I have learned it has taken years of trouble to figure this out.

I was on mirapex in 2007 I had foot dragging same foot and head drops then the neurologist took me off effexor and tried to switch me to cymbalta but my body would not hear of it.. mirapex was the same deal so was lyrica... and a few other things he tried.. I did seem to spend all my money from selling my house and have a complete brain detachment... then hard withdrawal came and I did not do much for te next several years.
Hence I am not a fan of mirapex.... and won't take it unless all my rights are taken away and somebody else decides I get it.. I hope to never get to that place and if I think I am headed there I will take matter into my own hands.. that is what I think at this point anyway...one never knows till the time comes... too morbid yes I have been told that but to me it has been years on the verge of health and disaster... I have had a lot of time to think it over. I think it is practical.

My jerking differs from his in that I am more jerking in limb one or the other sometimes a couple together has been mostly on one side but can be both... and from my spine and neck.. my head can jerk and hit a wall if I am leaning up against my bedroom wall no head board.. I have jerked and hit my head so hard I about knocked myself out... so neck and spine.. with a bad reaction to something I need to lay down in bed and not fool with it as it is dangerous ... clean air ect avoid all crap.. and the severe jerking will ease often with the one leg jerking constantly thru a few days and nights for some reason the one leg if the first to be affected and the last to stop jerking usually.
this is me

Last edited:

ljimbo423

That's an incredible video!! wow! I think that over active microglia (immune cells in the brain) play a huge role in Multiple sclerosis, Alzheimers, CFS and more. Over activated microglia create a lot of oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.

Glutathione is great at cleaning up oxidative stress and reducing inflammation. Oxidative stress depletes glutathione and high levels of oxidative stress are very common in CFS, Alzheimers etc.

It's still amazing to see that transformation after just 30 minutes!! The $64,000 question is what is causing the oxidative stress and inflammation to begin with?

btdt

If what I have is high glutamate causing me to jerk.. and I don't know what it is.. but if it were that.. it seems to be caused by reactions to chemicals in me.
It is how multiple chemical sensitivity presents itself in my body/brain.
This is all I have been told so far I am waiting to get into a movement disorders clinic maybe they will tell me more once I get there.
Do the chemicals cause oxidative stress in my brain or anyone elses brian again a good question.

I bought some glutathione different then the one I normally take and upped the dose to about 1000mg one day recently... I felt good for a time but then crashed... could be it wore off.

I stated taking low doses of glutathione months ago and it helped.. then I read there is a feed back loop and it is not good to take it as your body will stop making it .. supposedly it was better to take the precursors and let your body make it. I did not find this as good as taking glutathione... still I did it and limited my glutathione use to reactions.
I am still not sure what is the best thing to do.

btdt

I looked up round up as it is the only pesticide I bought and used myself other than raid for ants...
The mechanisms underlying Roundup(®)-induced neurotoxicity also involve the activation of CaMKII and ERK. Moreover, acute exposure to Roundup(®) increased (3)H-glutamate released into the synaptic cleft, decreased GSH content and increased the lipoperoxidation, characterizing excitotoxicity and oxidative damage. We also observed that both acute and chronic exposure to Roundup(®) decreased (3)H-glutamate uptake and metabolism, while induced (45)Ca(2+) uptake and (14)C-MeAIB accumulation in immature rat hippocampus. Taken together, these results demonstrated that Roundup(®) might lead to excessive extracellular glutamate levels and consequently to glutamate excitotoxicity and oxidative stress in rat hippocampus.
more that I don't understand here
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24636977

round up can increase the glutamate in brains... but there is calcium again...

I do not go around breathing round up but I have a keen perception of persiticides now or did before I started wearing a mask in all stores. Stores are using pesticides that I know for sure. I could go on and look up all other things that bother me like perfume and cleaners and I may one day. I am interested in the calcium pyruvate I have only seen comment from one person who takes this one
http://www.nutricology.com/calcium-pyruvate-90-vegetarian-caps stating it helped..
I don't like products that say they contain something but don't give the amounts.
Serving Size 2 capsules
Servings per container 45
Amount per serving:
Calcium (as Calcium Pyruvate) 280 mg
Pyruvate 1.22 g
Other ingredients: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, L-leucine.
no amount for L-leucine...

Do any other people take this form of calcium if so can you recommend a brand that has all ingedients and amounts listed.