• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you voted in Round 2 of Chase Community Giving? (voting is anonymous)

Have you voted in Round 2 of Chase Community Giving? (voting is anonymous)

• I'm in the US and am not on Facebook

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I'm in the US, on Facebook & have voted for 1+ ME/CFS Charities (WPI and/or CAA)

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I'm in the US, on Facebook, have voted but for neither the WPI nor the CAA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm in the US, on Facebook and don't plan on voting

• I'm in the US, on Facebook and am unsure whether I will vote

• I'm not in the US and am not on Facebook

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I'm not in the US, I'm on Facebook & have voted for 1+ ME/CFS Charities (WPI and/or CAA)

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • I'm not in the US, I'm on Facebook, have voted but for neither the WPI nor the CAA

• I'm not in the US, I'm on Facebook and don't plan on voting

• I'm not in the US, I'm on Facebook and am unsure whether I will vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dolphin

I thought I'd set up this thread to do some "market research".

(And if it doubles to promote the contest, I won't be too unhappy!)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good idea, Dolphin! I've just voted (both in Chase and on your poll).

I've also edited my signature to advertise the contest - please feel free to copy and paste. I've included a link to Cort's article which has voting instructions but please note that the WPI link in that article seems to have a problem (I've alerted Cort so it should get fixed) and the correct link should be:

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommu...nstitute-for-neuro-immune-disease?src=twitter

anniekim

Just voted, as has my dad. i also got my 18 year old nephew to vote and he's put out a message to all his facebook friends, being 18 he's got a zillion friends, so you never know it might yield one or two more votes. I'm doing what someone else suggested that when I see a friend online I am asking them to vote, as they will more likely do it there and then than just reading a round robin e mail. Good luck everybody in drumming up some votes.

Dolphin

Bumping this. I would hope a lot more on PR have voted but perhaps we shouldn't take this for granted.

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
Frustrated here. I was not on Facebook and did not want to be, but I wanted to vote for the WPI and have been asking everyone I know to vote. So tonight I went through what is for me a laborious process to sign up and set the privacy and security settings. Then I went to vote and up comes a window saying I have to allow Chase access to every piece of information about me. That's required for voting??? So you can't vote unless they have all your info? I don't like that and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people we ask to vote don't either. Am I just being grumpy or paranoid?

Dolphin

Frustrated here. I was not on Facebook and did not want to be, but I wanted to vote for the WPI and have been asking everyone I know to vote. So tonight I went through what is for me a laborious process to sign up and set the privacy and security settings. Then I went to vote and up comes a window saying I have to allow Chase access to every piece of information about me. That's required for voting??? So you can't vote unless they have all your info? I don't like that and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people we ask to vote don't either. Am I just being grumpy or paranoid?
FWIW, this is a message a person sent me. They never got back to me with more details. I think it's ok to post - thought I'd leave it all in to show it's genuine:

I have been thinking of strategies to get votes in Chase Community Giving. If I have the energy I will write up my ideas and perhaps you can help me in terms of where to post them.

I think it would be wonderful to get teenagers involved as many of them spend far too much time on Facebook. They can make a game out of it to see who can get the most votes amongst their friends and at the same time feel that they are involved in or contributing to something positive.

I asked a friend who specializes in computer software development and is actually working next door to the Facebook headquarters in Paolo Alto, CA about the privacy issue- Chase accessing personal information.

I know of several people who refused to cast their vote on that basis alone. He explained that Facebook already accesses this information on every account. This also occurs with the use of any application (App) on Facebook including viewing certain pages and playing games. It is my understanding that it is not as invasive as some people may believe but I will ask him to provide a written explanation and perhaps we can post that as well to inform others.

Teenagers always use applications in Facebook and they have no difficulty voting. I caught my 11 year old nephew on chat, sent him the instructions and he replied: "Done" in about 90 seconds. I noticed in my activity that he had cast his vote!

It is better than a lot of the silly games they play on FB!

Hope123

I'm not active on Facebook but I signed up to vote last year for Chase. As I remember, Facebook in general asks for information about people but nothing I considered particularly personal. The questions that I considered personal and were not required (usually required fields have an asterisk or something like that), I just did not answer. I also used an e-mail account that was one of my "junk" accounts that I rarely look at so no concerns about spam there either.

If you ever sign up for just about anything on the Internet and read the fine print in the privacy disclosure statement, it might not be all that different than what Chase is asking for. [I think I'm probably one of the few people who read these statements!]