• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford newsletter has article on CFS

jen1177

Thanks, Timaca!
Interesting news about Valcyte.
I bookmarked the Stanford CFS Initiative page for future monitoring...

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Thanks Timaca!!
That article, in my opinion, is a strong step for CFS in the research and clinical world. This is an article from a world class institution, a world class researcher, clinician and doctor puts CFS up on a equal playing field with any other disease. We are very lucky to have a doctor of this stature pushing CFS further into the main stream and stating that CFS is a physical disease and most likely pathogenic. As well goes on to say that the definition of CFS will be changing and encourages the medical community to live up to there oaths or decrees and treat CFS for what it is.

The studies mentioned in the article are going to make for some very good reading and I'm not saying it will all be good, but it's going where research has never went before. Can't wait!!

anciendaze

Tina got a steroid shot and her health began to fall apart - Judy says XMRV reacts to high cortisol.
Cortisol is a glucocorticoid. There are glucocorticoid receptor elements (GRE) in the initial LTR of XMRV. There is published research showing the androgen receptor elements (ARE) also in the LTR triple replication in response to testosterone, but I haven't seen parallel results on the GRE. It should be assumed to be functional unless we have evidence to the contrary.

Timaca

My understanding is that steroids suppress the immune function. So, you give a steroid shot to a joint, and the immune function in that joint is lessened. If a pathogen is latent in that joint it has an opportunity to reactivate. Borrelia burgdorferi and Cpn might possibly do this. Perhaps other pathogens can too. (I am not a doctor, this is what I've gathered on my own from reading articles and attending seminars.)

Best, Timaca

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Are we expecting the results of a Valcyte trial? I've seen Valcyte mentioned on the forums and there seems to have been a big range in response to it.

Sing

The article on Older HIV patients right before the one on Chronic Fatigue is also pertinent to us here. In my 60's now, I am running into these kinds of problems too. I wish we had--would it be called a longevity study?--more studies on what happens to people who are older with ME-CFS.

justinreilly

I thought this article is alright (not great, but better than most on ME). I am very glad Prof. Montoya is on the case!

I've got to say again the name really has to change from "Chronic Fatigue" to at least "CFS", hopefully "ME". "Chronic Fatigue" is absolutely unacceptable. He knows better. There's no excuse.