• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supposed new possible treatment

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
per Dr Tietelbaum so I'm a bit skeptical. He says that he will publicize it in a few weeks.
Skip down to "A Possible New Treatment", does anyone have any guesses? Please comment.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...01105/xmrv-update-plus-possible-new-treatment

XMRV Update, Plus - A Possible New Treatment
New study shows no XMRV virus in CFS patients
Published on May 9, 2011 by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD in Complementary Medicine
Dear Readers,

A new study is out this week in the Journal of Virology, done by researchers I respect from the University of Utah, Fatigue Consultation Clinic, and ARUP Laboratories. The study was well done and did not find XMRV present in CFS patients. This important study looked at 100 CFS patients and 200 controls. In addition, 14 patients who had positive tests for XMRV at WPI, including two in the original WPI study, also tested negative for XMRV in this study.

So what does this all mean? On one level, likely one of two things:

1.Either it takes the specialized testing done at the WPI to detect the virus, OR
2.Positive findings in the Mikovits and Alter studies were the result of contamination.
What does it not mean that this study did not find XMRV?

It does not say anything about whether CFS & fibromyalgia are real. There are many studies showing numerous infections in CFS/FMS, as is expected in an immune disorder. Treating these infections and the immune dysfunction is an important part of treatment (remember, the "I" in SHINE stands for Infections in the "SHINE Treatment Protocol"). The study also does not change treatment at this time, as we do not recommend the AIDS antivirals that might work against XMRV.

Some Good News?
New research opens some exciting and very novel (and low cost) new possibilities for testing and treatment in CFS!

As the study authors note, there is "still a wealth of prior data to encourage further research into the involvement of other infectious agents in CFS, and these efforts must continue."

More studies are planned to explore the XMRV virus and CFS. At this point though, what is needed to resolve the debate is what we have been recommending for quite a while (see XMRV Controversy Heats Up - Two Important New Studies), and which would simply and clearly answer whether the XMRV found in the WPI testing is real or a contaminant. An independent group (and the ones who did this study would be an excellent choice) should select people to test. Half of the samples sent to the WPI should be from people with clearcut CFS and half from healthy patients, and the samples should be blinded (i.e., not labeled as to whether they are coming from CFS or healthy control patients). If the samples sent to the WPI clearly again come up positive for XMRV in CFS patients and negative for healthy patients, as in the earlier study, it would immediately answer the question of whether XMRV is more common in CFS or whether it was simply lab error. So in real life, there is really a very simple approach that could answer these questions.

A Possible New Treatment?
Another recent but largely unnoticed study offers:

1.A powerful new piece to the puzzle of what is happening in CFS,
2.The possibility that two simple tests from any lab could help tell which CFS patients have important viral infections, and
3.A simple, very surprising, and low-cost treatment (the medication is 20 cents a day) that could help fight these infections
Though the role of XMRV is still a big question mark, this other possibility is very exciting stuff! I am researching the area further and in the process of writing the article, so I hope to have it an upcoming newsletter in the next few weeks. All I can say is it is very fascinating and promising ;-)

You can download a pdf of the XMRV study from Journal of Virology.

Stay tuned!

Love and Blessings

Dr. T

Nielk

yes, haven't you guys heard?? Green jasmine tea, wonderful.

Yes, it makes so much sense now but, you do realize that it's only the kind that Dr. T sells that are potent. He grows it himself in the mountains in Russia and it's the only kind that works. You have to drink about 75 cups a day - for the rest of your life. It's definitely worth it though because "it works like a miracle".

maddietod

I hate it when ANYBODY says "Stay tuned for an important update!" But even moreso with a doctor. I saw Dr T 10+ years ago when he was the only person I could find who was even talking about CFS. Even then, he was all about the money.

leaves

Yes, it makes so much sense now but, you do realize that it's only the kind that Dr. T sells that are potent. He grows it himself in the mountains in Russia and it's the only kind that works. You have to drink about 75 cups a day - for the rest of your life. It's definitely worth it though because "it works like a miracle".

lol :) (just picturing mr Teitelbaum searching for jasmine in the mountains in Russia makes my day)

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Look for him to be on "Dr. Oz" show in about 6 weeks! The show headlines "Amazing New Cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" - Green Jasmine Jizz Tea!!!, but only if you take it with Vitamin C!!!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Look for him to be on "Dr. Oz" show in about 6 weeks! The show headlines "Amazing New Cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" - Green Jasmine Jizz Tea!!!, but only if you take it with Vitamin C!!!

And! you get a free set of steak knives, wow! Thats an incredable deal, 75 cups of teat a day and those wonderful free steak knives for just $199 a day for the rest of your life, and you will also get the body of your dreams too. WHat a bargain!!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
tee hee - love it. Yep he's a character, I hate the way his articles always show up in Pyschology today, I usually skip them but it sucked me in with the title. Will be interesting to see how he willl come in below expectations.

Nielk

And! you get a free set of steak knives, wow! Thats an incredable deal, 75 cups of teat a day and those wonderful free steak knives for just $199 a day for the rest of your life, and you will also get the body of your dreams too. WHat a bargain!!

and only for the special people who are watching this right now at 2 am and call within 7 minutes we will throw in Dr, T 's book for an easy payment of $49 a month for just 12 months instead of thirteen!!! hurry...call right now.

Tulip

These types of articles make me wonder when someone from the "alternative medicine" field, will suggest we all eat horse/cow/dog/exotic animal poo everyday, as it's now "the" cure for me/cfs. Or maybe they already have...

Crocodile poo anyone?.

Enid

Crocodile poo - Tulip - ? CBT and exercise with it - what a combination ! - who could resist.

Desdinova

Let me guess Dr. Tietelbaum's special blended Jasmine Tea with his picture on the box. And he will continually use the term 'Chronic Fatigue' the majority of the time while talking. 20cents a day has me wonder if the new treatment plan will turn out to be aspirin. I won't even get started on Dr. Oz.

Yep asprin is the Cure for PEM. Once our PEM gets alleviated we'll have no excuse to not do GET and CBT. Then our Depres er I mean CFS er I mean ME/CFS will be cured.

Wayne

I bet Dr Tietelbaum is writing his Nobel Prize acceptance speech right now. ;)

LOLOL - Thanks everybody for the great laughs. I can't help but think though that Dr. T. should be generously compensated. After all, he does end up being the butt of so many jokes; should be worth something. :D