• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Based on these lab results, what co-factors should I take?

lizw118

Hello!
I am looking over a metametrix ion profile test so that I can add som co-factors into my methylation protocol. If anyone can give me advice upon which co-factors might benefit me, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
Under methylation co-factors, my urine test revealed that I have high methylmalonate
Under B-complex markers I have high a-Keto-Beta-Methylvalerate and high Beta-hydroxyisovalerate
In the Citric Acid Cycle, it shoes I have high succinate and high hydroxymethylgutarate
Under fatty acid metab. I have high adipate.
Under amino acids I have high taurine and arginine
Any advice?
Thanks!
Liz

Freddd

Hello!
I am looking over a metametrix ion profile test so that I can add som co-factors into my methylation protocol. If anyone can give me advice upon which co-factors might benefit me, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
Under methylation co-factors, my urine test revealed that I have high methylmalonate
Under B-complex markers I have high a-Keto-Beta-Methylvalerate and high Beta-hydroxyisovalerate
In the Citric Acid Cycle, it shoes I have high succinate and high hydroxymethylgutarate
Any advice?
Thanks!
Liz

Hi Liz,

I have no idea based on the lab tests. What usually works is adb12, mb12 Metafolin, l-carnitine fumarate, b-complex but no folic or folinic acid, no glutathione or precursors, and then all the basics making sure to include magnesium and potassium. A good start for reducing MMA is adb12 and l-carnitine fumarate. That will do it much of the time.

richvank

Hello!
Any advice?
Thanks!
Liz

Hi, Liz.

In order to do a more complete job of analyzing your ION panel results, I would need to see all of them. If you send them to me at richvank@aol.com, I will give you comments on the entire panel.

However, the results you have cited as "high" indicate that you do have a B12 deficiency (either absolute or functional) and thus likely a partial block in the methylation cycle. They also suggest deficiencies in B-complex vitamins (including B1, B2, B3, and/or B5 and/or lipoic acid, and also biotin), and deficiencies in coenzyme Q10 and carnitine. The Co Q10 and carnitine deficiencies can result from a partial methylation cycle block associated with the B12 deficiency. The high taurine may also result from a partial methylation cycle block. In order to better interpret the high arginine, I would need to see the other amino acids results, but manganese deficiency is a possibility. These results are very similar to many others I have seen from people who have ME/CFS.

Best regards,

Rich

lizw118

WOW, rich
Thanks so much for interpreting those results. I would love to send you more of the profile. I only have a print version, so I would have to type the rest of the results. Could I message them to you? That would be amazingly helpful indeed!!
It's interesting that you see a pattern in CFS people with these results. Have you seen a lot of non-CFS people's labs and are they different? In other words, have you seen "normal" people's labs as well? Is there a possibility that non-sick people have these same results but simply do not have symptoms? I always wonder that...
Thanks
Liz

lizw118

Thanks Freddd
I do take the main factors you mentioned, and I have dropped the ad-B12 with the folic acid. I ordered the source naturals instead, so we'll see. I am really hoping it can help my nervous system, which imo needs the most repair. I didn't get results from the adB12 when I took it before, but I think it is because I was taking it daily and it had the folic acid in it. What about Sam-E?
Thanks
Liz

richvank

WOW, rich
Thanks so much for interpreting those results. I would love to send you more of the profile. I only have a print version, so I would have to type the rest of the results. Could I message them to you? That would be amazingly helpful indeed!!
It's interesting that you see a pattern in CFS people with these results. Have you seen a lot of non-CFS people's labs and are they different? In other words, have you seen "normal" people's labs as well? Is there a possibility that non-sick people have these same results but simply do not have symptoms? I always wonder that...
Thanks
Liz

Hi, Liz.

You're welcome.

I'll PM you my mailing adress, so if you can photocopy them, you can mail them to me. That would save all the typing and it would also be easier for me to interpret the results in their normal format.

No, I haven't seen results from healthy normals. Nobody wants to pay for testing unless they are sick! :)-) However, no two sets of results I see from PWCs are exactly the same. People have different additional deficiencies beside the things related to the partial methylation cycle block. It also matters what they have been supplementing. Note that the lab reference ranges have been determined by averaging the results together from many people who send samples to the lab, and they don't all have the same health issues. This is not as good as running samples from healthy people, but that costs money, and some of the specialty labs don't do that. So I don't always pay a lot of attention to the exact values of the lab reference ranges. It's important to look at the pattern of results to see if they make sense biochemically.

Best regards,

Rich

lizw118

Hi Rich
Thanks so much for the help. It is very generous of you! It's too bad we can't see some healthy control test results. I agree about patterns vs ranges, because I have the same opinion that all the ranges are taken from people who usually have the problems, so they might not be the best indication of what the ideal range should be. Patterns are good, though.
I'll look for the PM from you
Thanks!
Liz

Freddd

Thanks Freddd
I do take the main factors you mentioned, and I have dropped the ad-B12 with the folic acid. I ordered the source naturals instead, so we'll see. I am really hoping it can help my nervous system, which imo needs the most repair. I didn't get results from the adB12 when I took it before, but I think it is because I was taking it daily and it had the folic acid in it. What about Sam-E?
Thanks
Liz

Hi Liz,

My thought is that trialing the SAM-e needs to wait until many of these other things get ironed out. The catch is that some other things that had no effect might after you start the SAM-e. Combinations and balance between them appears quite important. That is one of the things that makes it all so complicated. I started with 400mg of SAM-e, but after I added the l-carnitine-fumarate and TMG I found I could decrease to 200mg. The Metafolin, when it worked, made the adb12 more effective.