• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your diet like? Do you follow a specific one?

I had a very bad experience on the candida version of the stone age diet. I stayed on it for 3 months, and over that time my health deteriorated markedly.

I kept telling myself that my reaction was either detox, or that my body was just taking a long time to adjust to a fat burning metabolism. I gradually became weaker and was dizzy all the time, and my brain fog was the worst it has ever been. Inspired by another post (sorry, can't remember who) I started dissolving glucose tablets under the tongue periodically throughout the day. I also reintroduced rye bread, rice, apples and pears. Well, within a couple of days, I felt the best I'd been since beginning the diet.

My level of functioning is still very low, but at least now I can get off the bed. I've certainly learned to listen to my body, rather than hanging onto a theory because I believed that it should work.

Best wishes,

Sandra

Although I had a bad reaction to the stone age diet prescribed by Dr Sarah Myhill, I would like to add that I have enormous respect for Dr Myhill and her work, and we need more practitioners like her as advocates for those of us with ME/CFS. We're all different, and it just wasn't right for me.

Best wishes,

Sandra

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
At the moment the only three foods i can eat without getting severely nauseated and/or throwing up are watermelon, pretzels, and one type of noodles (& even the noodles are iffy).....used to eat very healthily (primarily fish, veggies, and some whole grains) and I hate this

I'm sorry, Tammie. sending you hugs! :hug:

have you tried peppermint tea, probiotics, fruit with digestive enzymes (papaya, for instance, also pineapple but that might not be nice on upset stomach), banana, applesauce, rice

(of course, organic brown rice, or if white rice sounds good, try sticky rice because sticky rice isn't enriched so won't have additives to bother you; send someone to the Asian aisle of your grocer or an Asian market and get Japanese or Korean style rice... very nice with some sea salt on it, and if you can handle the fat, butter or unfermented sesame oil... or on your brown rice try some goat cheese [Chevre is pretty mild] and salt and pepper and, if you like, a green herb)

... those tend to set well with me even when nauseated, of course no guarantee for you, but if you haven't tried all of these yet, maybe you will see something you think you can manage

Tammie

I'm sorry, Tammie. sending you hugs! :hug:

have you tried peppermint tea, probiotics, fruit with digestive enzymes (papaya, for instance, also pineapple but that might not be nice on upset stomach), banana, applesauce, rice

(of course, organic brown rice, or if white rice sounds good, try sticky rice because sticky rice isn't enriched so won't have additives to bother you; send someone to the Asian aisle of your grocer or an Asian market and get Japanese or Korean style rice... very nice with some sea salt on it, and if you can handle the fat, butter or unfermented sesame oil... or on your brown rice try some goat cheese [Chevre is pretty mild] and salt and pepper and, if you like, a green herb)

... those tend to set well with me even when nauseated, of course no guarantee for you, but if you haven't tried all of these yet, maybe you will see something you think you can manage

thanks so much for your suggestions, but unfortunately I have tried all those.....I know it seems esp crazy that rice doesn't even work, but for whatever reason, it doesn't...

.....I have read that some rice has a high level of arsenic in it though, bc it is in a high concentration in the water in those areas and since rice sits in the water as it grows, it holds onto the arsenic....that is the only thing I can come up with as to a possibility as to why even rice doens't seem to work....unfortuantly I did not find any info as to how to determine where the rice being purcahsed was grown andif there is a lot of arsenic in it, bc if I could find some that doesn't have that problem, then maybe rice would still work (& I love rice)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
thanks so much for your suggestions, but unfortunately I have tried all those.....I know it seems esp crazy that rice doesn't even work, but for whatever reason, it doesn't...

.....I have read that some rice has a high level of arsenic in it though, bc it is in a high concentration in the water in those areas and since rice sits in the water as it grows, it holds onto the arsenic....that is the only thing I can come up with as to a possibility as to why even rice doens't seem to work....unfortuantly I did not find any info as to how to determine where the rice being purcahsed was grown andif there is a lot of arsenic in it, bc if I could find some that doesn't have that problem, then maybe rice would still work (& I love rice)

I thought you might have tried most of them, but I hoped at least sticky rice or goat cheese might be new...

arsenic, interesting, I don't know how to find rice without, either, but maybe someone around here does :D

quinoa? amaranth? you've probably tried those, too.

at any rate, hugs, and I hope you can figure out how to fix your gut so you can eat more things!

Tammie

I thought you might have tried most of them, but I hoped at least sticky rice or goat cheese might be new...

arsenic, interesting, I don't know how to find rice without, either, but maybe someone around here does :D

quinoa? amaranth? you've probably tried those, too.

at any rate, hugs, and I hope you can figure out how to fix your gut so you can eat more things!

yeah, I have tried those too but thanks again for trying to help