• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

chronic throat clearing?

how's it going? (rhetorical), if you really told me, it would take several hours, i know.

anyway, in my early days of illness, this was an on going issue for me, as my allergies went over the top. I didn't ever have that problem prior to onset...
so I discovered OSHA, liquid herbal extract from Ligustrum porteri ... whole root source, a Health food store item. it works very well for me; but we're all different. worth a try, as that throat clearing annoyance gets really old.

is this a good one http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=BB-1408
wow, how did you come across this rare finding, osha?

haven't tried that particular brand, but if it's in VitaminShoppe it will be fine. They actually do an ok job of good quality control.

i knew people who owned a little health food store; very knowledgeable. I used to be lucky that way. these days, not so much.

Hope it helps you. It will only be a temporary fix, but it will certainly help some... that is, it's part of "maintenance", managing symptoms. Not the answer to the cause, that we all need.

SaveMe

thanks 5150 anything is worth a shot with me.

caledonia-- damn good thinking! i should see an allergist....my viscous saliva sometimes happens after i eat spicy foods or hot sauce, other times unpredictable.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Allergist

If you see an allergist make sure that he is knowledgeable on intolerances - many are not.

I used to get coughing fits or very red flushed face after eating spicey foods. My nose used to actually drip and I had constant flem in my throat.

My CFS physician gave me food intolerance tests - but intolerances can change. It seems I do best if I do not eat the same food more then once in 4 days, which I find too hard to do.

Food has lots to do with my symptoms. Its very hard to figure it out.

glen

Bringing up an old one - I was wondering if anyone else has had chronic throat clearing as an issue?

My father-in-law was suffering CFS like symptoms that seemed to be suddenly onset and became progressively worse over several months before he was diagnosed with idiopathic CKD. He is being treated for his kidney health but has suffered ongoing nausea and is constantly clearing his throat (every 10 minutesnit seems) and doctors don’t seem to think it is related. Any familiarity with this, or questions/tests that I might be able to suggest.

kewia

I've this, too, but I don't think it's an allergy.
The exact mechanism behind it is still unclear to me.

Pyrrhus

Last edited:

kewia

One possibility is laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR). In LPR, low-level mucus production in the lungs leads to the necessity of "clearing your throat" repeatedly:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/gastrointestinal-reflux-as-dysautonomia.86644/

But I have no coughing fits, and I thought mucus is pushed into the lungs from esophagus not produced in the lungs.
However, my feeling is it comes from the lungs, but clearing my throat also reduces pressure and stiffness around the ribcage.
It feels like I'm lighter when clearing a lot of mucus. Maybe there is mucus in the whole tissue around the ribcage probably stemming from the large intestine or the tissue itself.

Is there anything like mucus from viruses?
I've varizella zoster, probably the main issue for ring like pressure.

Most of the time I get it in the night just before falling into sleep, but also when eating special kinds of fast foods or by drinking orange juice.