• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Expedite Recovery?

SaveMe

I'm 20 years old and have suffered from ME/CFS for 1 year 8 months now. First time i've ever had to withdraw from an entire semester.

If I decide to intentionally rest in bed nearly 24/7 without getting too de-conditioned, do you feel that this will expedite my recovery?

It is truly remarkable what a group of people who share only a common illness can accomplish.

lansbergen

If I decide to intentionally rest in bed 24/7 without getting too de-conditioned, do you feel that this will expedite my recovery?

I believe extremes will not do any good.

I think resting in bed 24/7 is as stupid as overdoing.

I am convinced the best way is to do as much as possible within one's boundaries. To do too much is bad but doing nothing is also bad.

The trick is to find a balance that works for you.

It is a project of trial and learn from errors.

TinyT

I'm 20 years old and have suffered from ME/CFS for 1 year 8 months now. First time i've ever had to withdraw from an entire semester.

If I decide to intentionally rest in bed 24/7 without getting too de-conditioned, do you feel that this will expedite my recovery?

It is truly remarkable what a group of people who share only a common illness can accomplish.

Hi saveme,

I agree with Iansbergen. I think it would be near impossible to rest in bed 24/7 without some form of de-conditioning to occur. I dont know if it would expedite recovery, somehow I dont think so. Especially if your illness is due to some viral/immune deficiency/enterovirus/ etc. I agree that reducing stress & demands on your body will be helpful, but trying to find a balance between activity and rest is the best chance.

Vegas

Rest will not resolve your condition, I think you can almost guarantee that. By the same token, pushing yourself to the point that you are symptomatic will hinder your recovery. Learn the symptoms that are created by your excessive activity level, and stay just below that. Some activity is certainly better than none. Exert yourself most vigorously at the the time of day that you are most energetic and after eating a meal. This may sound like common sense, but I think if you correlate your higher energy output with your higher cortisol status, typically the early evening, you will do better.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
SaveMe, everybody is different. If sleep a lot, I get worse, especially with the dizziness, nausea,and rapid resting pulse rate symptoms. If I sleep too little, I feel more of the nerve pain and I have constant involuntary muscle twitches. It took a lot of time to figure out the best balance for me (10 years) because I was not taking notice of what worked for me. I was told by my doctor to exercise everyday and by others to sleep alot. Neither worked. (One of the things we all have in common, of course, is that if you try to exercise the way normies do and expect to feel better, you will get your butt kicked. That is, if you are even able.) If I were you I would experiment now to see what makes YOU feel better.