• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

M.E/CFS Patient Occupation at Illness Onset

Patient Occupation at Illness Onset?

• Teacher/Education

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Business

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Heath Care/Medical

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Accounting/Banking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Customer Service

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

frenchtulip

I attended an ME/CFS conference in 1994 in which Dr. Byron Hyde was a main speaker. He mentioned that the illness often affects persons who get coughed on a lot--teachers, health care workers, etc.

justinreilly

I attended an ME/CFS conference in 1994 in which Dr. Byron Hyde was a main speaker. He mentioned that the illness often affects persons who get coughed on a lot--teachers, health care workers, etc.

In Osler's Web it was reported that 90% of an early survey of I think about 2,000 ME patients (done by the Minan ME org I think) were in one of four or five professions dealing with the public: teacher, pilot/flight attendant, doctor/nurse, public clerk (dealing with public in person) and maybe one other. That says a lot to me about contagion. (apparently coughin' and Coffin are two of our worst enemies; yuck yuck : ) )

Desdinova

Assembly Operator Friday Dec 15, 2006. It was a really really really good day until around 4:00 pm when whatever it was hit me. Haven't been the same person sense and don't expect that I ever will be again. Always did wonder though if it could have been from one of the places I last visited that day namely a big Chain Pet store.

Boule de feu

This is scary. It means that each time I cough on my husband or children, I might give them my illness???
Each time I go to my GP's office, I cough so hard. I'm not surprised if they would all get it. =-(

Boule de feu

What's the difference what we did before? It's gone. It's over.

It gives us an idea of what type of professions are more at risk and how the illness might be propagated.

While I was teaching, I know there was a girl sitting right in front of me who was sick like me.
They could not figure out what was wrong with her. They thought it was mononucleosis.
She had done many many tests.
I always wondered if she caught it from me or if she gave it to me.
We got sick at the same time. I never found out what happened to her.