• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Were you ever a nurse or do you know of a nurse that has CFS/ME?

Were you ever a nurse or do you know of a nurse that has CFS/ME/ or FM?

• YES

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • NO

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

SaveMe

Were you ever a nurse or do you know of a nurse that has CFS/ME or FM

EDIT: Other health/medical professions, please share your story as well!

I believe the reason why there is a significant number of health care workers who have cfs is not from the environment in which they work in, but rather a late reaction to the Hepatitis vaccines. As the WPI has stated XMRV is not spread through the air.

paddygirl

I know two nurses with ME/FM. One of them has been working for quite a while in a private clinic handing prostate biopsies. Without gloves.

Kati

Patient in training
I am a nurse ( or was). - got sick after receiving saliva in my mouth. got an EBV infection, and all hell broke lose from there.

Gamboa

Perhaps you should expand this poll to include other medical professions.

I was a medical laboratory technologist in a microbiology laboratory for 15 years and then a Pathologist Assistant in Pathology assisting with autopsies and dissecting surgical specimens.

TinyT

I am/was an Occupational Therapist. Worked mostly in hospitals/inpatient rehab. Had a relapse 4-6 months after getting swine flu from an outbreak on the spinal rehab unit

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
paramedic here, bugs galore are picked up especially through winter, i seem to be more prone then other workers and when they hit they last longer too for some reason. those 24 gastro bugs last 3 days in me for some reason.

Kati

Patient in training
Of course people answering your poll are more likely to be a health care worker ;)

LaurieL

I worked on the Interventional Unit with ICU, Trauma/ER, Stroke team. You knew you were bad off if you came to see my unit.

I can name atleast 15 between the units with diagnosed cases of FM or CFS that I know of personally.

Enid

Not strictly a Nurse but working with the elderly and sick - and the very latest MS developed in one family before my own decline into ME. So overexposure to "bugs" for some time.

ukxmrv

It's not "just" nurses, it's medical professionals. People with XMRV that I am talking to often have a relative that works in medicine. It's hospitals and medical training of some sort.

LaurieL

Save Me, your mail box is full

Save me,

Keep in mind our particular unit worked with many units, high mortality units in which people were often very sick with varied disease processes. Anywhere from outright parasite infections, bacterial infections, viral ie: HIV/AIDS et al., resistent bugs, as well heart and brain, and everything in between.

So the ones I know of personally between these many units, is not really a high number. I'll bet there is more of us. You can see the medical personnel statistically getting sick by going to the nursing associations. The nursing associations have been posting about this upswing for the last 6 or 7 years now. There are many of us getting sick, and its not just the nurses, but medical professionals such as respiratory therapists, CVITs like me, doctors, many.

Part of working in the medical profession is required vaccinations. There can be many of them, and they are mandatory if you want to work for most. I don't believe myself that vaccinations are the cause but I do believe they did contribute once whatever caused my particular illness of which no one can find at this time, took a hold.

What the general public is not aware of is just how bad the bugs are out there.

Laurie

SaveMe

Thanks LaurieL.

I am still amazed by the sheer number of medical professions, nurses, techs, doctors, paramedics we have in this place!

i did volunteer work at my local hospital, but too young to have any of the professions you all have had.

liquid sky

I'm a nurse and so is my sister and we both have ME/cfs. There are statistically a lot of medical workers with this. Vaccines may play a part, I don't know. Exposure to lots of pathogens certainly plays a part.

I've been to a few conventions for FMS/CFS and always found a high number of nurses there who were sick.