• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl carnitine/ carnitine fumarate question

leaves

I find that 3g acetylcarnitine is great for brainfunction and 3g carnitine fumarate is great for energy. anyone has experience combining the 2? What are the results? Are bigger doses needed??can they be taken simultaneously?

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
I find that 3mg acetylcarnitine is great for brainfunction and 3mg carnitine fumarate is great for energy. anyone has experience combining the 2? What are the results? Are bigger doses needed??can they be taken simultaneously?

Is it 3 mg of acetyl-l-carnitine that you have been taking??? The bottle I have is 500 mg. I find it helps but I have cut back in regular use on advise from my pharmassist. I haven't tried fumarate and will be interested in the replies. The acetyl-l-carnitine 500mg daily has definitely helped

glen

are bigger doses needed?? more than 3 grams?? - wow - that is already lot - well in my books - but heh we are all different.

50mg/day of acetyl carnitine is plenty for me. I actually find when I take 50mg/day for too long , I get wired and ADD as I know acetyl carnitine pumps up your dopamine. i have not used both but i see no reason why you cant take both at same time.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
There is a prescription form of carnitine called Carnitor (levocarnitine) that is available in generic form. If you have insurance that has a 90-day generic option that is pretty cheap might be an option. It comes in 330 mg tablets and I think my insurance at the time would only allow 4/day, but a 90-day generic was free. At the time I was taking 1.5 grams of ALCAR along with the 1.3 grams of levocarnitine and I can say that there was improvement in energy. I just can't say from which one I was getting it from or if it in fact was the combination of the two.

*GG*

There is a prescription form of carnitine called Carnitor (levocarnitine) that is available in generic form. If you have insurance that has a 90-day generic option that is pretty cheap might be an option. It comes in 330 mg tablets and I think my insurance at the time would only allow 4/day, but a 90-day generic was free. At the time I was taking 1.5 grams of ALCAR along with the 1.3 grams of levocarnitine and I can say that there was improvement in energy. I just can't say from which one I was getting it from or if it in fact was the combination of the two.

Thanks for this info August, my Dr recently suggested L Carnitine to me, not sure that prescription will be cheaper, but only 1 way to find out!

GG