• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

chronic post SARS syndrome

justinreilly

That's stupid that they compared it to FM, and concluded it's a syndrome that is similar to FM, when it is almost surely a subset of ME.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think he means fm is more pain is the dominant symptom where cfs is fatgiue/cognitive stuff, theres a big overlap but i suppose a subset like herpes viral sub set or mycoplasma subset. I dont think he meant any harm.

i also think that an infection like SARS just knocks the immune system, opening up other possible pathogens like ebv, cmv etc or xmrv or just triggers a dormant retro virus to raise its ugly head.

cheers!!!

justinreilly

Can you outline your rationale for that statement Justin? A bit confused - but what's new?

It seems they are saying that post-SARS syndrome is some new, totally discreet syndrome, that has much in common with, but some differences from FM. It just seems to me that this is just ME, with SARS being the trigger event, just as Mono and other viral infections are often the trigger in ME. I think it is useful to note whether or not SARS triggers ME more than other viral infections, so it's good they're looking at post-SARS illness, but it just seems silly that they compared it to FM rather than ME.

They seem to be saying that it is like FM but the pain is more diffuse. This just sounds like ME to me. I don't know a lot about FM, so maybe I'm missing something.

insearchof

Hi Heapsreal et al

In terms of patient health care, the world would be much better off if they destroyed the word syndrome.

I personally believe they characterised it incorrectly as well. For the purposes of an ICD classification assignment it would be Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome - a fatiguing illness triggered by an known and identifiable virus ie SARS.

Remember CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion with unremitting fatigue for 6 mths or more. If you have SARS and your not recovering well thereafter - then its a no brainer. CFS is given when the cause of the symptoms is not known.

I understand why they reference CFS. It however, is nothing like ME Justin. The classic medical literature does not recognise a host of viral triggers for ME. CFS literature that uses the term ME does though, The classic literature over 50 years identifies only one: an enteroviral infection. ME was originally referred to as atypical or non paralytic polio because of the identification of the enteroviral trigger.

ISO