• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whatever happend to dr martin??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Whatever happened to dr martin, he was big into 'stealth' pathogens etc
http://ccid.org/svintro.htm#
If my memory is correct, i think he was implicated in some sort of money issues in reguards to his research but not sure how accurate it is when you see how other pro-active cfs docs are treated, maybe a set up??
I wonder if he is now looking into retroviruses etc

ukxmrv

I found him advising some USA Autistic groups when I looked for him about 18 months ago.

Used to belong to a group years ago on the internet which discussed his virus. Closed very suddenly and then no news for a long time.

ixchelkali

Dr Martin has moved toward very alternative medicine. His Center for Complex Infectious Diseases still has a website, but the address listed is in a residential neighborhood.
http://www.ccid.org/index.htm
Apparently his lab lost its license for testing and research. He got involved in a big brouhaha with the National CFIDS Foundation.
http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/Johnmartin.html
http://www.thoughts.com/tonyalewis/dr-w-john-martin-parents-prove-cfids-dishonest
http://moonflake.wordpress.com/2006/06/28/midweek-cuckoo-w-john-martin/
http://alternativemedicinetruth.blogspot.com/2004/10/dr-john-martin-exonerated.html

Here's an articleon "Progressive Medicine" he had published in ScienceDirect in 2005: http://www.s3support.com/ProgressiveMedicine.pdf

He also had a letter published in response to the Lo/Alter XMRV paper in PNAS, but since I don't have a subscription, I don't know what it said.

I would like to reassure members that the studies on stealth adapted viruses have helped identify a non-immunological anti-virus defense mechanism mediated by what I call, the alternative cellular energy (ACE) pathway. I look forward to eventually engaging senior public health officials in the task of implementing the findings from this research. Kind regards, John.

ukxmrv

Thank you Dr Martin, for your continuing work. We have never forgotten you or your contributions.

Would you be happy at some stage to let us know more about your current thoughts?

PNR2008

I tested positive for stealth virus through Dr. Jay Goldstein in about '93-'95. Still very ill.

heapsreal

I would like to reassure members that the studies on stealth adapted viruses have helped identify a non-immunological anti-virus defense mechanism mediated by what I call, the alternative cellular energy (ACE) pathway. I look forward to eventually engaging senior public health officials in the task of implementing the findings from this research. Kind regards, John.

Thanks for your info, i hope u can keep contributing to this board. can u to the anti-virus defense mechanisms.

cheers!!!

insearchof

Does anyone have any current information on Dr Holmes of NZ or Prof Murdoch NZ and what their reactions and views are on the developments concerning XMRV + MLV?

Now that would be great reading, if your listening Cort *hint*

ukxmrv

They are both interested and watching developments, Inserachof. Prof Murdoch is now working as a GP in the same area that the Tapanui Flu started. Dr Holmes has retired but sadly is very sick himself (not ME).

insearchof

They are both interested and watching developments, Inserachof. Prof Murdoch is now working as a GP in the same area that the Tapanui Flu started. Dr Holmes has retired but sadly is very sick himself (not ME).

Thanks ukxmrv. Sorry to hear about Dr Holmes.

I would love to hear Dr Holmes views though.....especially on the inability of some to find retroviruses.

ukxmrv

He's probably having deja vu. I've not asked him and not been in contact for a while as I know how poorly he is. I'm hoping that the XMRV research by Warren Tate will go ahead and all three of them will talk about it.

University of Otago Division of Health Sciences.
Indicative projects for 2010:

XMRV as a potential cause of chronic fatigue syndrome

Supervisor: Professor Warren Tate

"Currently there is no diagnostic test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) although millions world wide are affected with the syndrome. A very recent Science paper (9.10.09) has linked CFS with a rodent retrovirus XMRV (rather like HIV-1) that can as well cause aggressive prostate cancer. About 70% of the affected group had evidence of the virus compared with only 4% of the control population. My lab has done developmental work on a rogue RNAse L cleavage fragment for a biomarker since it is claimed to be specific for CFS and indirectly to deplete affected cells of 50% of their ATP. We would like to examine the virus and its translational mechanisms as a potential drug target and establish the RNAse L fragment as a biomarker."

insearchof

Thanks ukxmrv. I hope that research goes ahead as well.

I am really sorry to hear about Dr Holmes.....unless I am mistaken he was the first to make the association between CFS and retroviruses.

I was very impressed with a paper I read on his work in this area back in the 80s.

It's a shame he is doing so poorly, because if he had his health, I am certain he could play an important role.

Here is to hoping that he gets well soon.

Dear members,
I happened to view Phoenix Rising this morning. The Whats New forum updated the earlier posts in which I was mentioned. I saw two entries from a member called beachlover1957. They were posted on April 13 and 17 and included phrases such as Why havent you and How about a response.. The comments referred to a 1992 finding that the fluid within cultures of some stealth adapted virus cultures was reactive with an antibody, which another researcher had developed against ciguatera, a potent lipid toxin. As many readers of this forum will realize, antibodies do not have the precision of only reacting with the antigen used for immunization. Brine shrimp and other functional assays for ciguatera toxicity were performed on antibody positive, stealth adapted virus cultures. The lack of toxicity in these assays indicated that the antibody was not as specific as hoped for by its developer. In other words, the lipid components in the stealth adapted virus cultures were distinguishable in functional assays from authentic ciguatera. Thank you for your continuing interest in the research. Kind regards, John.

Dear Beachlover1957 and other members,
I can further elaborate on my earlier posting regarding the reactivity of an anti-ciguatera antibody with the fluids from some cultures of stealth adapted viruses. As I had earlier indicated, functional assays on the culture fluids did not confirm the presence of authentic ciguatera. Rather the results suggested that the antibody raised against ciguatera was cross-reactive with other antigens. Indeed, I recently saw a reference indicating that an anti-ciguatera antibody is, in fact, reactive with mitochondria-derived cardiolipin and other phospholipids. J Clin Lab Anal. 22: 99-105, 2008.
A CFS support group (NCF) had used flawed science to argue that ciguatera toxin and not stealth adapted viruses was the cause of CFS. The NCF has long maintained a highly offensive internet posting regarding my agreeing in 2002 not to continue publically reporting results on stealth adapted virus cultures. The critical internet posting has significantly impeded progress in my obtaining research support. It is a prime example of how some CFS organizations may not always act in the best interest of the patients they supposedly represent.
The research on stealth adapted viruses is, in my opinion, well beyond that of other proposed causes of CFS. Getting the information out is both a political and a scientific challenge. The damage done by the offensive internet posting simply makes the task much harder. Kind regards, John.

heapsreal

So john your still thinking stealth adapted viruses is a major concern in cfs?? It must be hard to get good cfs information out, as u say its very political and seems to be whats going on now with xmrv/mlv viruses.

Are u able to elborate on treatments for stealth viruses. If positive for the herpes virus, are antivirals in your opinion helpful? Maybe dr lerner is barking up the right tree??

Its good to have u active on this forum, I think we would all luv to hear your opinions and any other research that u have done that u can tell us about.
We're glad to have someone like u in our corner.

cheers!!!