• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and regaining Muscle Mass - links fixed

Hi Guys,
didn't realise my host doesn't allow direct linking (link worked fine if you cut-and-pasted it into your browser) - fixed now with a mediafire link.
I've had CFS for about 7 years now. I've been regaining my muscle mass over the past four months after trying unsuccessfully to do so over a period of 6 months doing a graduated exercise program - the key was supplementing with some bodybuilding products.
In the process of researching this stuff I found documented trials showing that several key components of bodybuilding supplements (glucose, L-glutamine, BCAA's and others) have an impact on CFS.
At any rate, I've now regained 3 kg of muscle mass, and feel better than I've felt in years. It's all down to (a) a graduated exercise program and (b) supplementing.
I've presented my findings to the Hamilton (New Zealand) CFS/ME society and they were quite impressed. I've compiled my findings into the following document hoping that other people can find this useful - I'm not affiliated with anything, and if I was it would be local to New Zealand anyway -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fd53ddiie4w8nbw/CFSregainmuscle.pdf

Cheers,
Matt

FunkOdyssey

I have noticed as an XMRV+ 30 year old male with mild-moderate CFS that it is very difficult to put on mass. Any muscle I gain will atrophy and disappear very rapidly if I skip even a couple gym sessions. And also, the rate of healing for things like tendon strains or tendonitis seems very slow, so any injury that develops sidelines me for extended lengths of time. The whole endeavor is frustrating but my health and appearance is definitely better when I am actively lifting weights (I don't do anything aerobic, can't tolerate it) so I continue regardless.

I do notice that I have made my best gains and achieved the best shape when supplementing large doses of whey protein, ~100g spread in a few servings throughout the day, in addition to my regular meals. I use high-quality whey isolate, with negligible amounts of lactose and casein. I tolerate and digest that much better than cheaper whey concentrates.

I have noticed as an XMRV+ 30 year old male with mild-moderate CFS that it is very difficult to put on mass. Any muscle I gain will atrophy and disappear very rapidly if I skip even a couple gym sessions. And also, the rate of healing for things like tendon strains or tendonitis seems very slow, so any injury that develops sidelines me for extended lengths of time. The whole endeavor is frustrating but my health and appearance is definitely better when I am actively lifting weights (I don't do anything aerobic, can't tolerate it) so I continue regardless.

I do notice that I have made my best gains and achieved the best shape when supplementing large doses of whey protein, ~100g spread in a few servings throughout the day, in addition to my regular meals. I use high-quality whey isolate, with negligible amounts of lactose and casein. I tolerate and digest that much better than cheaper whey concentrates.

Definitely read the guide then - timing of supplementation is EveryThing.
Dextrose, L-glutamine and creatine I've found to be of major importance. As I wrote in the guide, there is one pilot study showing improvements for people with CFS with L-Glutamine, and dextrose/maltodextrin has also been show to give improvements. Regards healing, they give creatine to people post-surgery because it speeds recovery times - as do BCAA's and L-glutamine.
Isolate is good, but the value ratio is much lower-per-gram in terms of protein than normal whey. But if you tolerate it better, it's better.
I'm continually updating the guide, so when I do I'll post the new links here.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey,

Want to see a real example of a hopeless CFSer (a real sickie!) who successfully packed on muscle in three months?? Go here:

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?379-Low-dose-Naltrexone&p=70701&viewfull=1#post70701

Secret?? LDN! :victory:

I'm staying with this guy right now cause we are doing the same experimental treatment, so I have his permission to post his "before" and "after."

I don't know if I have his permission to say "hot" re: the second photo, but I'll say it anyway! ;)

Sushi

dannybex

Hi Funk,

It's my understanding that Freddd (of b12 fame) had lost a huge amount of weight (and especially muscle) but that it finally turned around when he added ad-b12. And I believe that happened after being sick for like 25 years, when he was in his 50's.

I'm stick thin, and getting thinner, so am also looking for answers, but am wary about adding too many sugars that come in these protein powders.

d.

p.s. Sushi -- you must've just posted! I just checked out your link...and would kill to gain that much weight. Question: Do you know how much weight he lost when he was sick, and then, how much he gained? thanks...

anne_likes_red

That's who I think it is isn't it Sushi! :)
(I've been reading your LDN* thread over on the methylation forum....very useful stuff!)

*Low Dose Naltrexone is available from a chemist in Hamilton soulstudios. It's currently prescribed for autism here (and perhaps MS?) but it may be something for some in the cfs community to look into.

I can't tolerate whey...yet. Hope to be able to one day!

Hey,

Want to see a real example of a hopeless CFSer (a real sickie!) who successfully packed on muscle in three months?? Go here:

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?379-Low-dose-Naltrexone&p=70701&viewfull=1#post70701

Secret?? LDN! :victory:

I'm staying with this guy right now cause we are doing the same experimental treatment, so I have his permission to post his "before" and "after."

I don't know if I have his permission to say "hot" re: the second photo, but I'll say it anyway! ;)

Sushi

FunkOdyssey

Hi Funk,

It's my understanding that Freddd (of b12 fame) had lost a huge amount of weight (and especially muscle) but that it finally turned around when he added ad-b12. And I believe that happened after being sick for like 25 years, when he was in his 50's.

I'm stick thin, and getting thinner, so am also looking for answers, but am wary about adding too many sugars that come in these protein powders.

d.

p.s. Sushi -- you must've just posted! I just checked out your link...and would kill to gain that much weight. Question: Do you know how much weight he lost when he was sick, and then, how much he gained? thanks...

I've tried high dose sublingual ad-b12 and couldn't notice it doing anything whatsoever, but I continue to get 400mcg daily in a thorne research b-complex I take twice daily.

Most protein powders contain no significant sugar (they are artificially sweetened). The one I linked to above contains 0.5g of sugar per serving, or 2 calories worth.

anne_likes_red

PS Dan...have you read that thread? I was going to PM you the link!
Serg was WIRED on methylation supps and LDN seemed to help that a lot and also help with the detox symptoms resulting from methylation support.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

He lost about 25 lbs and gained it back on LDN--course it wasn't overnight magic--the LDN got him out of bed, back to driving and able to go to the gym. And yes, he does branched chain aminos, creatine, etc.

Sushi