• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could new techniques ease living with ME? by Miriam Stoppard, Daily Mirror

Enid

She is so out of touch with all the science - research and findings as to be seen as ignorant. As to CBT being a new technique - it's been a try on for far too long already. Suggest reading the WHOLE of the subject matter before speaking at all.Get all the facts - though that of course would take too long for dabblers. Where has she been all these years. This indicates the "general" medical stance in the UK = ignorance. I've said before and say again - it's the medical culture here - my brother (Prof Neurology) took off for the States many years ago saying "they even support each other when they know it wrong". Freedom to think, listen and try to heal unencumbered his choice.

Enid

Yes Boule de feu - not worth anything. Their drivel now surpassed.

Boule de feu

It's hard to believe that they can get away with such unprofessional journalism in UK.
I don't think it would pass, here, in Canada.

Wesseley and cie would end up in Court for doing what they are doing,
and saying what they are saying.

She would have a very difficult time, here.

insearchof

Boule de feu

They cannot and will not get away with it, if more people took the time to lodge a letter of complaint to the Editor and followed that up with a formal complaint to the relevant media authority in th UK. Ie: Press Complaints Commission.

http://www.pcc.org.uk/

Want to bring an end to questionable journalism re ME and misleading statements reported in the press, then lodge formal complaints.

Boule de feu

Just before reading this, I was going to answer:
"At your service, what can Canadians do to help you guys?"
You answered before I could post it.

We need to take action. This is hurting the WHOLE NATIONAL ME community.

insearchof

I agree Boule de feu,

Investigative journalism/quality journalism on the subject (with a few recent notable exceptions)' has died and given way to grubby sound bite journalism that has little interest in careful, balanced, fair and accurate reporting, especially if such is unlikely to generate an increase in readership.

Press complaints organizations and Ombudsmen are there to take the fight up, for and on behalf of all those who understand and value truth, fairness and a balance of power within a democratic society.

Journalists in the UK and elsewhere are unlikely to change unless and until they know that the ME and CFS community will no longer tolerate infringements of journalistic codes of conduct and is prepared to hold them forcibly to account.

Enid

Where to begin - (I think Miriam Stoppard has been hibernating for the the last 10 years and just woken up to a flawed PACE as some major discovery) Hopefully the end of the PACE fallout here. We've the Invest in ME (Canadian Consensus adopted) conference London in May - all the major Docs/Researchers and Hillary Johnson and BMJ attending so feel much on the move at last. Science outstripped the Psyche hangers on and much going on in many places. It's a good year ahead.! (Journalists more ignorant than their writers still need watching)

drjohn

Read here Short link http://tinyurl.com/67poalf

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/miri...chniques-ease-living-with-me-115875-23006518/

Thanks to Dr Speedy and others for alerting me to this article by Dr Miriam Stoppard in the Daily Mirror, today, Tuesday 22 March 2011.

I have written directly to Dr Miriam, asking her to give the same space and prominence to the almost diametrically opposed headline conclusions of the PACE trial (White et al. February 2011), re: CBT, GET and pacing.

May I suggest that as many as can manage write a short letter to the Letters page,
e-mail: mailbox@mirror.co.uk
with a copy to her at miriam@mirror.co.uk
or their readers may just assume that it is a jolly good idea to try CBT and graded exercise.
I think it is, indeed, true that "it could change their lives" --- There's a good theme for a letter for someone.

Cheers
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org

drjohn

Thanks Enid. Here are 3 more for the pot:
3 LETTERS, Re: Could new techniques ease living with ME? (Daily Mirror, 22 March 2011)

To read a letter from Veronica Jones
click http://www.mefreeforall.org/index.php?id=2696#c10332

To read a letter from Karen Rippon
click http://www.mefreeforall.org/index.php?id=2696#c10333

To read a letter from Dr John Greensmith
click http://www.mefreeforall.org/index.php?id=2696#c10334

Any letters in response should be sent to e-mail address
mailbox@mirror.co.uk

3 letters is not bad, 333 would be better. Just a few lines please, new points or repeating those already made for reinforcement. Suggest you do not be aggressive. It isn't necessary to make a good scientific argument.

Cheers
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org

insearchof

Boule de fue

Dr John is a tireless advocate on this front. Maybe Dr John would like to share a few tips and insights.

I would particlarly like to hear from you Dr John on your experience (if any) on lodging complaints with th UK press commission and or Ombudsmen, and or the experiences of those that you know who may have done so ?

Angela Kennedy

Unfortunately, the Press complaints commission will only accept complaints from people directly affected or named directly in a press article. A whole group of section of the population have no right of redress.

I know this because I tried to bring a complaint against Victor Lewis Smith a few years ago because of the recycled rubbish he wrote about ME sufferers.

SilverbladeTE

UK tabloids are scum, vicious, racist, filthy pukes, ugh. You wouldn't believe the filth and lies they print :(
(and hey I'm not tlaking about smut, lol, smut I don't mind, it's the nasty, fractious, divisive petty shit they do against all kinds of groups, it's abhorrent)

Alas, the NHS = large bureacracy
bureacracy = MORONS and gutless creeps always end up having too much influence etc etc, sigh.

justinreilly

Dr. Greensmith,

Thanks for the info. I sent the Mirror a note just endorsing the three letters you posted. If others are pressed for time, they could do this too.