• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Me/cfs sufferer laura hillenbrnad chronicles her life as reported in the nyt and wsj

RestingInHim

Realist
Ms. Hillenbrand's book Unbroken is incredible! a MUST READ for sure!! what was cool for me...my dad grew up next door to Mr. Zamperini, so i've heard about him all my life and have had the privilege of meeting him. he is an amazing man! this is one of those stories that if you didn't know it is true, you wouldn't believe it!

and, of course, i am amazed at Laura Hillenbrand. she is as much an historian as she is an incredible writer. i was spellbound through the entire book. now i'm reading Seabiscuit and wishing she was able to write more. she being housebound with me/cfs makes her writings incredibly compelling.

btw...got a kindle for Christmas. i highly recommend it also. you don't have to hold it up...can easily prop it at just about any angle...and don't have to worry about it closing on you. for those who don't know...it has no backlight, so doesn't cause visual fatigue or headaches. it reads like a printed page. it has so many helpful features. every pwc should own one!! i'm going to pray you all will either have the funds to do so or others will purchase it for you. suggest to your family & friends, when they ask what they can do for you (if you are fortunate to have such people in your life), that they go in together to make the $140 purchase. i believe this is not a luxury for pwc's. and, no...i am not a salesperson for amazon kindle : ) hey...maybe there is a commercial in this for them...and us!

ok..i'm off the soapbox! read the book...on a kindle, if possible!

when i'm able to read...getting away from technical stuff and absorbing myself in a good story sometimes keeps me...
resting

camas

Ms. Hillenbrand's book Unbroken is incredible! a MUST READ for sure!! what was cool for me...my dad grew up next door to Mr. Zamperini, so i've heard about him all my life and have had the privilege of meeting him. he is an amazing man! this is one of those stories that if you didn't know it is true, you wouldn't believe it!

I just finished it on my Kindle too.:Retro smile: I don't know how she does it. I feel accomplished if I manage to get my bills paid on time.

I found Unbroken a fascinating, but grueling read. I had two great uncles who served in the Pacific and neither talked much about what they endured aside from a story or two about sharks. Now I know why.

How fortunate you are to have met Mr. Zamperini. He's a true American hero, and I'm so glad his story got told.