• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's all this nonsense about contamination?

jace

Off the fence
How PCR was first calibrated to find XMRV by Urisman et al [1]

First off, the Virochip technique was used to screen RNA samples isolated from prostate tumours. Notice that XMRV was not isolated by PCR and there was no attempt to target viral DNA and we are not talking about isolating XMRV from blood.

The RNA was amplified and purified into something called polyadenylated RNA. This is free of any DNA or anything else like histones. It is viral RNA (if present) and human RNA. This was then converted into cDNA and the fragments were isolated using something called a microarray.

This next bit is a bit technical but its meaning is crucial: Briefly, amplified nucleic acid from the tumour tissue, which hybridized to viral microarray oligonucleotides, was eluted from two specific spots.

The eluted DNA was re-amplified, and plasmid libraries constructed from this material were screened by colony hybridization using the spots' oligonucleotides as probes. The array oligonucleotides used in this case derived from the LTR region of murine type C retrovirus (MTCR) and spleen focus-forming virus (SFFV) [2].

The largest recovered fragment was 415 nt in length, and had 96% nt identity to the LTR region of MTCR, notice the multiple rounds of amplification. This is not PCR and the viral nucleic acid was picked up by primers complimentary for a LTR region.

Now most people realise that the XMRV genome is made up of GAG POL and ENV. This however is not the whole story. The genome has two identical regions of RNA at each side of the GAG POL ENV sequences. Now about 8% of our DNA is made up of endogenous retroviral sequences.

The reason that we are not all dead is because these babies cant replicate. Some of these are classed as MLV endogenous retroviruses. The key thing to remember that these ERVs have deletions and mutations which mean that they can't make the proteins needed to make virus particles. Now bearing this in mind I present the following diagram
Picture3-2.png

Now the upside down mountains are deletions and hence the HERVs can't code for proteins of the length needed. Bearing in mind that the original samples only contained RNA where would a non human ERV have come from? As XMRV can code for the full compliment of proteins needed to construct a virion it cannot by definition be a ERV. It is amazing how the Coffin cabal have missed this point.

Naked viral RNA cannot survive in a cellular environment and hence cannot be a contaminant. If there was contaminant DNA then the detection method used would not have selected it and it would not have entered the experimental environment.

As a final point in this instalment the authors in this study developed a PCR assay which could detect viral sequences in patient tissue known to be infected using the original micro array technique. They were able to do this by constructing primers complimentary to the gag sequences isolated by the other method.

They did this by adjusting the cycling conditions until they could detect the virus in DNA made from the RNA they isolated from the patients tissue. They had the advantage of knowing that the virus was present, and could change the parameter of the PCR reaction until they found it. They also used a form of PCR called reverse transcription PCR. That is for another time. Note the presence of mouse DNA is an impossibility as the process began with polyadenylated RNA!

1] Urisman A, Molinaro RJ, Fischer N, Plummer SJ, Casey G, Klein EA, Malathi K, Magi-Galluzzi C, Tubbs RR, Ganem D, et al: Identification of a novel Gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNASEL variant. PLoS Pathog 2006, 2:e25.

2] Clark SP, Mak TW (1983) Complete nucleotide sequence of an infectious clone of Friend spleen focus-forming provirus: gp55 is an envelope fusion glycoprotein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 80: 5037–5041.

alex3619

Hi jace, I really enjoyed your post as usual. However, I have two questions, that I am not up to answering right this minute, but I think are important. Are we certain the specific cell lines now being blamed for contamination only contain inactivated XMRV DNA? Second, is the XMRV found in for example prostate cancer samples really inactivated or activated viral DNA - how can we be sure? A mixture of activated and deactivated is possible too. (Sorry I might not be making sense, I am not able to sleep at the moment.)

Let me address this partially. Your first post on this thread identifies the viral RNA as the original isolated sequence, and by inference it is from a life virus, not an ERV. This does not prove that the prostate cancer cell lines don't have live virus and so could be a source of contamination. How hard have they looked for live virion RNA in these cell lines?

Of course, the capacity to clone and infect macaques directly implies this is a real virus and so capable of infecting humans. This implies that some people may carry live XMRV, a point which has not been disproven. I still think that if contamination is occurring, the most likely source is infected humans. This implies there is a background rate. This further implies that the so called zero zero studies should have found some XMRV. Therefore there is something wrong with the testing.

Is there something wrong with my reasoning?

Bye
Alex

SilverbladeTE

Of course, the capacity to clone and infect macaques directly implies this is a real virus and so capable of infecting humans. This implies that some people may carry live XMRV, a point which has not been disproven. I still think that if contamination is occurring, the most likely source is infected humans. This implies there is a background rate. This further implies that the so called zero zero studies should have found some XMRV. Therefore there is something wrong with the testing.

Is there something wrong with my reasoning?

Bye
Alex

yes, you are quite wrong, because you are sane and logical!
this makes you automatically an "EPIC FAIL" in the world of "Captain Weasel and the World of Tomorrow" :D

in case anyone misconstrues:
I believe Alex is 100% correct and am supporting him in my own weird way...it's just that being logical, compassionate or having the slightest common sense what so ever, is completely at odds with the retarded, inhumane lingam-licking system we live in! ;)

natasa778

dr. Harvey Alter, sees:

'But I still want to counter by saying I think the current evidence for disease association is very strong, even though not universally confirmed. But it has been confirmed now in at least four studies, two of which were presented today, that either XMRV or a polytropic MLV is associated strongly with chronic fatigue syndrome.

A point that I think was misrepresented today: In those labs who do find the agent, it is very reproducible. Judy has found the same patients to be positive by culture year after year. We have found a patient to come back after 15 years and still be positive. So this is not a single, isolated finding. It's confirmed by sequencing. It's reproducible over time.

Dr. Hanson has shown today how critical the assays are. When she tweaked her assay, she went from no findings to findings almost identical to the Lo lab. The diversity is now being confirmed also in the original WPI group. XMRV isn't the only agent even in the WPI lab.

Despite the very legitimate concern for contamination -- I think this is a serious issue -- there have been hundreds of negative controls in the same laboratory that are always consistently negative. An extremely sensitive mouse mitochondrial DNA has always been negative in the Lo laboratory.

Lo has done the IPA assay that Dr. Coffin recommended. That is also negative. There just has been no evidence for contamination. Although you could say maybe the negatives could be negative somehow and the positives positive for contamination reasons, it really is not logical that that would be so.'

Logical, who cares about logical?

Would Cort or Kurt care to teach Alter a lesson?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
at the blood work group. he also said the contamination guys were arguing from "anecdotal" examples.

Some of those transcritps are great to read. Alter and Mikovits operate like a cross-examination team in a courtroom. :thumbsup:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
here we go: official blood products advisory meeting transcript

Dr. Alter again:
But just as a simple doctor, it seems to me that you have used single-case anecdotal evidence to knock down the various possibilities. I just want to make a case to the committee that you can't -- your conclusion is that anything can happen in assays, and therefore it probably has happened this time. I think using that kind of anecdotal probability is not valid to negate reproducible data from four different laboratories. So at least keep that in mind.

jace

Off the fence
Hi Alex,
You may guess I'm in a different time-zone than you! It does mean I have time to do other things while you all sleep...;)

I have two questions, that I am not up to answering right this minute, but I think are important. Are we certain the specific cell lines now being blamed for contamination only contain inactivated XMRV DNA? Second, is the XMRV found in for example prostate cancer samples really inactivated or activated viral DNA - how can we be sure? A mixture of activated and deactivated is possible too.
What it actually means is that it could have come from virions, eukaryotic or prokaryotic messenger RNA. They were not using prostate cell lines, the tissue was taken directly from patients with prostate cancer. Whatever was there was a MLV virus because the cells reacted with a monoclonal antibody.

The point is that any viral DNA would not have been picked up because the samples were polyadenylated RNA. What was investigated was the presence of viral RNA. They did not use prostate cell lines of any kind in the experiment. FISH detected viral nucleic acid within and outside the nucleus. This can only be viral m RNA or cDNA (genomic viral RNA can't enter the nucleus of a host.

Whatever was in the tissue was replicating and making MLV specific proteins. No Type C HERV (human endogenous retrovirus) can manufacture SU proteins. It can't have been a HERV. There is also no known endogenous or exogenous MLV in humans, mice or any other mammal with that SU sequence. This is some times described as a VRA and a VRB region.

To answer the specific point about whether the DNA is active or inactive, MLV viruses engage in post integrational latentcy and can indeed become silent. In this case however viral nucleic acid was observed both within the nucleus and without. This coupled with the presence of MLV SU proteins means that the proviral DNA was being transcribed. The IHC test is only positive if a replicating virus is involved.

Hope this helps.