• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where is the post on Cort / Kurt and XMRV ?

cigana

Hi,
Yesterday I read a post (by "asleep" I think) about Cort and Kurt posts on XMRV. It implied they were deliberately attempting to blight XMRV positive research. Has this post been removed because it was deemed defamatory or something? Or was it deleted by the poster? I don't know about the claims but I would just like to know what happened in case things are "going on behind the scenes" on this forum...

Thanks,

Mark

Ecoclimber

The little troll from the dark side of the internet universe the Kinglon UK ME/CFS Forums vilolated forum rules so Capt. Cort removed it. It's not nice to upset a captain of a Starship.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Hi,
Yesterday I read a post (by "asleep" I think) about Cort and Kurt posts on XMRV. It implied they were deliberately attempting to blight XMRV positive research. Has this post been removed because it was deemed defamatory or something? Or was it deleted by the poster? I don't know about the claims but I would just like to know what happened in case things are "going on behind the scenes" on this forum...

Thanks,

Mark

I too would like to see that post Mark. I would hate to think that this forum has gone down the route of censoring ideas it doesn't approve of.

Ecoclimber

I was writing a response when suddenly when I went to click the send key, the thread was gone. Cort was on at the time. I was thrown in the brig for violating Starship rule 10989 on disclosure.

cigana

I was writing a response when suddenly when I went to click the send key, the thread was gone. Cort was on at the time. I was thrown in the brig for violating Starship rule 10989 on disclosure.
LOL.

Okay so sounds like Asleep broke the house rules, probably for defamation or something? Maybe Asleep could post again, but this time refrain from speculating on why Cort / Kurt are biased and just present what he/she thinks is the evidence and let readers make their own minds up. Hopefully that doesn't break any house rules. It sort of feels a little bit like a dictatorship when someone criticises the "president" and is suddenly "disappeared"!

Cheers.

garcia

Glad to see your incarceration hasn't stopped you from posting.

leaves

Yeah well we've had some history with peeps coming here with vitrol instead of arguments. Very toxic. Don't know what happened last night but Cort does have the right to defend himself, we can't expect him to be a masochist.

Esther12

I replied to that... my words of wisdom have been lost?

I don't think it should have been deleted. If we can't accuse one another of lying, that's a pretty big restriction on what we can discuss. Seems sketchy if mods are deleting criticism of mods too.

garcia

I replied to that... my words of wisdom have been lost?

I don't think it should have been deleted. If we can't accuse one another of lying, that's a pretty big restriction on what we can discuss. Seems sketchy if mods are deleting criticism of mods too.

For the first time in a very long while I find myself agreeing with one of your posts Esther.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
The moderators 'soft deleted' the post - so that the title was visible but the post was not. I 'physically removed' the post so the title was no longer visible.

Personally, even though the post broke Forum rules, I would not have made the post invisible because it was about me in part and I would have preferred to address it openly. I believe it suggested that there was a conspiracy between Kurt and I and Cooperative Diagnostics to hurt XMRV. That is why the post was removed by the moderators.

I request that the poster resubmit the post - focusing on the argument- and leaving out some of the personal attacks and I hope he/she does.

cigana

Thanks for your reply Cort. It's really appreciated that you would not have removed it since it was about you - that is reassuring to know...

Mark

Martlet

The little troll from the dark side of the internet universe the Kinglon UK ME/CFS Forums vilolated forum rules so Capt. Cort removed it. It's not nice to upset a captain of a Starship.

I just snorted tea down my nose, thanks to that post! ;-)

The post in question was way out of bounds and had it been against any other member, it would have gone completely in a puff of smoke!

eric_s

Yes, but i think it's also pretty heavy to come here and spread the news that XMRV is a contaminant and Silverman knows about it etc. when there is absolutely no way for us to verify this information.
The hopes of many people lie with XMRV and i think one should be careful and not put people on a rollercoaster ride again and again. We've already had enough of that.
The future will show wheter this story was correct or not, i don't think it will take more than a couple of days, after CROI is over, i guess we would hear from somewhere.

kurt

Thanks for re-wording your argument. And thank-you for correcting that on the other CFS forum. I have no problem debating and discussing things like this in a civil setting. We all have our opinions and views.

For the record, I was not involved in removing the post, but would have had I seen it. The reason for taking any post like that down is simple, it is illegal to falsely accuse people of lying, including on the internet, that is defamation of character. And generally if an accusation like that is made with no evidence, it is considered false. In this case of course there is no evidence because we are not involved in any conspiracy, and besides that, nobody knows enough for certain about XMRV to lie about it, we are all speculating based on a little data...

Defamation is serious trouble, any forum and the individuals involved can be sued for that type of posting.

And anyway, none of the accused would lie about something like this. We all care deeply about CFS, and are simply working from the information we have.