• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5htp and l-tryptophan

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi,

I have taken 5htp 100mg before and still on it, i find it increases mood and has a sort of calming energy so i take it during the day, when i have taken it at night it hasnt really helped sleep much. 5htp is suppose to be better absorbed then tryptophan.

Now i have recently started taking tryphto 3000mg at night, what i have found is it makes me more relaxed and abit drowsy, not quite enough for me to go to sleep, but then again im a hardcore insomniac. I think it helps with mood the following day too and seems to help improve my sleep quality. Im also taking phosphatidylserine(PS) at night to lower night time cortisol and help with sleep which it seems to be doing, but i have taken the trypto before the PS so i can feel the effects and it seems to be the goods.

Anyone else notice the same effects from 5htp and tryptophan??? or PS as well?

cheers!!!

undcvr

I took 4-5gm of trypt a nite at one point, on an empty stomach and together with B6 and some Lysine. It worked for everything !! Sleep really well, better nxt day mood, better control with my cravings. Everything. Now I take about 4gm 3-4 times a week as maintainence. It is much better than 5HTP when used correctly.

heapsreal

The latest i work now is midnight but thats what i do, to change occupations would be a big drop in pay or no pay to retrain/study which is more stress then its worth. I like what i do but the hours arent friendly. Once my wife gets sorted with work then i may look at cutting some hours. Crave Arrest everything that is on the label i take in other supps, but it looks like a good supp. Treating my adrenals and the tryptophan and PS have really helped my sleep. I was after others experiences so i could judge if its the supps or something else, but its been a few days , so i think im heading in the right direction.

Thanks undcvr, i tried the tryptophan because of your suggestion. DO u take other sleeping tabs as well with trypto or use it on its own.

cheers!!!
I believe you still work? and Nights? So you change the times when you sleep?

That is very bad when you are an insomniac!

GG

PS Perhaps Crave Arrest would be a better way for you to get 5-HTP?

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/CraveArrest-caps-by-Designs-For-Health-40DFH41_p_872.html

undcvr

It depends, sometimes the Tryp does not work and I combine it. Maybe with Camomile or Melatonin 3mg. Some days I just feel that there is such a mess going on with my hormones inside that everything i take just does not help me sleep. I have combined it with P-Serine before. That is a great combo ! I would do it more if the PS did not cost so much.

heapsreal

yes the ps is pricey, but if it keeps helping me i will just try and find the money. Im sort of hoping that after treating adrenals and everything for a while i can back off some supps. Maybe just use a good b-multi. Im having some good results with b5 at doses of 500-1000mg, ps100mg, trypto and 5htp, but i think its helping because i have my viral load down now so i dont have that constant stress of infection going on as much.

Did u use the cycloferon???

undcvr

Yes i did, moving in and out of it. Its working alittle less now i think so i will take a break for awhile.

If you can control your cortisol levels with other ways, eg, Ashwaghanda, PSerine, it might take the load off your adrenals for awhile too. Something else they sell here (US) for cortisol levels too Relora. Take active forms of Bvites, those really help alot. B6 is really good in the P5P form, 100-200mg. After taking the active B vites for awhile, I would cycle back and forth with good quality brewer's yeast. All these years, that has been amazingly helpful to me.

I eventually bought a vetinary formula of tryp in powder form and just encapsulate it myself, that is the cheapest way to go.

I used Ginseng too at one point for my adrenals. Something not too many pple realise is that Ginseng is recognised in the body as a steroid and it works directly on the HPA without having to go through any conversion. Between that Licorice, Andrographis and Adrenal glands, it helped me with my adrenal glands and cortisol levels too. I recommend Andrographis alot for your adrenal glands. It gave me cortisol levels of a teenager at about 2pm in the afternoon when it was supposed to drop. My doctor was commenting on that. Adrenal glands did nothing for me and I was considering going onto adrenal cortexes, but I felt like i was recovering on the herbs alone and did not go through with that.

I am assuming you had your thyroid checked and that was ok ?

@heapsreal have you used 5HTP while also using prescription meds that are supposed to increase serotonin?

I'm looking into trying 5HTP, but I use both Mirtazapine and Amitriptyline as sleep meds(not together though). I assume that SSRI's are a no-no, but I don't take the above meds at doses recommended for depression...mirt @ 7.5-15mg before bed or Amit @ 10-35mg 2 hours before bed.

heapsreal

@heapsreal have you used 5HTP while also using prescription meds that are supposed to increase serotonin?

I'm looking into trying 5HTP, but I use both Mirtazapine and Amitriptyline as sleep meds(not together though). I assume that SSRI's are a no-no, but I don't take the above meds at doses recommended for depression...mirt @ 7.5-15mg before bed or Amit @ 10-35mg 2 hours before bed.

Mirtazapine seems to have a low risk of serotonin syndrome as its comm9nly added to many other depression treatments like ssris and nsris. So guessing 5htp and tryptophan would be ok but would need to start with low doses and adjust.

amitriptyline may be different but you ate only using a low dose. So again its a small dose to trial.

are you wanting 5htp to help mood ? If so take it in the morning away from night time doses of ads . I probably would take 5htp and an ad together at the same time ?

Mirtazapine seems to have a low risk of serotonin syndrome as its comm9nly added to many other depression treatments like ssris and nsris. So guessing 5htp and tryptophan would be ok but would need to start with low doses and adjust.

amitriptyline may be different but you ate only using a low dose. So again its a small dose to trial.

are you wanting 5htp to help mood ? If so take it in the morning away from night time doses of ads . I probably would take 5htp and an ad together at the same time ?

I'm close to getting off of Amitriptyline for a while, so I'll wait until I'm off of it before using any 5htp.

Yes, I'm wanting it for mood...I tries wellbutrin last month, but even its half-life was too much for my insomnia.

@heapsreal How low of a 5htp dose did you start with?

Last edited:

heapsreal

I'm close to getting off of Amitriptyline for a while, so I'll wait until I'm off of it before using any 5htp.

Yes, I'm wanting it for mood...I tries wellbutrin last month, but even its half-life was too much for my insomnia.

@heapsreal How low of a 5htp dose did you start with?

5htp starting dose 25mg to 50mg would be a good starting point. Trial and error as we are all different ? ?