• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cymbalta

Riley

Has anyone had any kind of positive experience with this drug? Doctors keep trying to push this on me for sleep and pain, even though those are not really things that I have problems with. I also don't have depression. I do get anxiety, but it feels like it's coming from too much adrenaline being pumped through my body, and it seems as if more norepinephrine would make this worse. I've also come across a lot of stuff that says that it actually interferes with REM sleep and causes insomnia.

All I kind find are horror stories about Cymbalta both from healthy people and PWC's. The last thing I want to do is take this drug. I'm wondering if anyone can think of a reason it would be worth trying? I've heard of it being used in POTS.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have taken it probably 3 different times. I had some relief and very little side effects. It just didn't seem like it was worth the money to me.

SaraM

stopped it immediately after the first dose as it caused severe neurological side effects.

My sister had to stop after first dose as well for severe neurological issues and nausea. Same with my father -- severe nausea and even a nose bleed.

floydguy

They pushed it onto me for the same reasons. It did not help at all. Are you seeing a real CFS doc? I don't think a CFS doc would prescribe it. Be careful with regular docs and CFS. They often prescribe things that turn out to be counterproductive, if not harmful to PWC.

SOC

I've been taking Cymbalta for several years for sleep and pain issues. It didn't do much for me with regard to sleep, but has been a help with the pain. I have noticed no side effects at 90mg.

If you don't have sleep, pain, or depression issues, I don't understand why your doc thinks it will help. It's worked well for me, but from what you've told us, it doesn't seem like something you need. If you are uncomfortable trying it, I don't think you should take it until you've gotten better information from your doc on what exactly s/he thinks it's going to treat.

Heapsreal -- I don't think Cymbalta works for that type of pain.

LaurelW

It helped me with pain and mood swings, but made me very constipated and killed any sexual feelings whatsoever. Not worth it!

I'm weaning off of Cymbalta. I started taking 30mg in April, quickly went up to 60 and then 90 mg when it didn't seem to be effective. I began taking it for worsening of my migraines with a side of depression. I've been super paranoid about all of the supposed difficulty of getting off this medication which I've read all about online. Now I'm down to 30 mg with no difficulty. I keep reading about these "brain zaps" that occur during withdrawal....haven't had any! Does it say anything about my brain chemistry? Hmmmm....

August59

Dr. Jamie used to take it for awhile, but not sure about her daughter.

Hunter-Hopkins will try it for neuropathy and as a compliment to strong pain meds, but as a 3rd or 4th choice. Lyrica is 1st, Gabapentin is 2nd and Cymbalta 3rd which in most cases it comes down to balancing effectiveness and side effects.

August59

Shows you what I know. :D I'm glad to see more pain-relief options for people with osteoarthritic and other musculoskelatal (sp) pain.

You are fine as this approval did not occur till Nov. 4th. I didn't think it was approved for chronic low back pain either. It was purely accident that I ran across the article.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
My only problem with alot os these AD pain relievers is that they worsen my insomnia, tramal work well but cant take it too late as it keep me awake but night time is no problem as the sleep meds usually help then. Tramal doses i use are atleast 200mg slow release over 12 hours sometimes i need more and then the sweats hit me, yuk. I think if sleep can get sorted the pain will come down. it would be nice if xyrem was alot cheaper and in a pill form just like the way they use to sell it as a supplement in the 80s and it was cheap too back then.

cheers!!!

SOC

My only problem with alot os these AD pain relievers is that they worsen my insomnia, tramal work well but cant take it too late as it keep me awake but night time is no problem as the sleep meds usually help then. Tramal doses i use are atleast 200mg slow release over 12 hours sometimes i need more and then the sweats hit me, yuk. I think if sleep can get sorted the pain will come down. it would be nice if xyrem was alot cheaper and in a pill form just like the way they use to sell it as a supplement in the 80s and it was cheap too back then.

cheers!!!

I was told to take Cymbalta at bedtime and I haven't noticed that it interferes with my sleep... YMMV

They pushed it onto me for the same reasons. It did not help at all. Are you seeing a real CFS doc? I don't think a CFS doc would prescribe it. Be careful with regular docs and CFS. They often prescribe things that turn out to be counterproductive, if not harmful to PWC.

Hmm. I had a real CFS doc prescribe it for me because he thought it might increase my energy. It didn't cause me any problems, but it didn't help either.

meandthecat

Seems like cymbalta/duloxetine has a mixed rep here. I asked the doc for milnacipran. He refused, I'm in the UK..., but prescribed Duloxetine, Wow!.

For 5 yrs after acute onset I have struggled with CFS (LoL) and no help, I guess you can fill in The blanks. As I pushed back to greater functionality the pain increased. Going to the doc with an FM picture elicited more interest and he came across. I made it clear that I was sensitive to most things and titrated up from 7mg a day to the 20mg I am now using over 30 days. It pains me as a tree-hugging hippie with a lifetime of herbal and homeopathic experience to use major pharmaceuticals but it works.
Not only did the pain decrease by 50% in a week but I had more energy and my sleep improved; I began to feel like the old ME again. After 2 months I can jog a bit, not too much.
I have come across comments that the effects wear off over a few months and wonder if anyone else has found this. I am upping my (low) dose to 30mg to get the same effect.
Apart from a mild unsettling when I first started on it there have been no apparent side-effects apart from alcohol becoming a no go; which is a shame, not that I drink much, red wine by the thimble full was all I could manage before but now nothing at all.

I do hope that someone out there has had a positive experience with this stuff. ed xx

ed xx