• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

piracetam for cognitive stuff and circulation?

leaves

I heard good thins about piracetam for brain function, seems pretty safe too. Any experiences?

Some M.E. patients tell of significant improvements in cognitive abilities from taking Piracetam. LEF explains that ‘Piracetam is a derivative of the amino acid GABA that increases the sensitivity of receptors in the brain involved in memory and learning. Piracetam is called a nootropic drug because of its ability to enhance the mind. Studies in both animals and humans have demonstrated that piracetam can improve memory, increase attention and cognition, improve spatial learning, and enhance motor mechanisms. Piracetam is used to increase intelligence, information processing ability, concentration, memory, and creativity. It has been shown to harmonize and synchronize the spheres of the brain by anchoring information within the brain. Suggested dose: Piracetam should be used in doses ranging from 1600 to 2400 mg a day taken first thing in the morning.’ Piracetam may also be a useful treatment for Myoclonic jerks and Raynaud’s phenomenon, may help improve the problem of seizure-like events following exposure to light and may also help improve vertigo caused by brain injury. Piracetam should be taken with choline if headaches occur during treatment. Some countries consider it a supplement rather than drug. This drug must be started at a very low dose and treatment must not be stopped suddenly. Expect to see effects within an hour to a few days.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I've heard good things too. I thought I had read where the FDA was trying to get this changed from a supplement to prescription status???

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have used piractem, aniracetam and both worked quite well although piracetam sometimes made me sleepy but aniracetam did have some good energizing properties. It eventually pooped out and stopped working, it was a few years ago, maybe should try it again.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
I tried taking it. It was ok, but not something I would take regularly. Had to stop taking due to side-effects.

Vojta

I've been taking Piracetam irregulary for a last month. But this week I'm trying regular higher doses because I have to make some exams. I didn't observe any significant miraculous improvements so far. But I think that higher doses give my brain little more endurance and postpone mental fatigue and exhaustion. I take 2400mg in two doses a day and gonna try 3600mg.

Wayne

Piracetam From Harvest Moon in Kansas

I heard good thins about piracetam for brain function, seems pretty safe too. Any experiences?

Hi Leaves, Hi All,

I researched Piracetam several years ago, and have experimented with it. The literature says Piracetam will help "wake up the brain". It also describes how it is supposed to help the two hemispheres of the brain communicate with each other.

The recommended dosage is 800 mg., up to 3 times/day. My first 800 mg. capsule sort of sent me “flying”. I quickly discovered I could only tolerate about 100 mg. once a day. As time went by, I noticed I could tolerate less and less, until I finally realized there was a “price” to pay for the benefits I was noticing.

I would describe the benefits as being somewhat similar to coffee. I discovered it did tend to perk me up, and help make mental tasks a bit easier. I also noticed it helped me do a bit more physical activity. The price however, was it could cause me to crash mildly. The more I take, the harder the crash, leaving me with sort of a “wired out” feeling.

These days, I “reserve” my use of Piracetam for those times when I absolutely, positively, have to get something done. I’ll take just a very small amount (perhaps about 10-20 mg), and put it in my morning tea. If I get the dosage just right, it can be very helpful for several hours, with a very minimal crash. But if I try to do this for several days, this delicate balance gets tipped, and I begin to pay for the extended use.

I got my Piracetam at a health food store called Harvest Moon in Kansas (without a prescription). I've heard it is very popular in other countries and is often used on surgery patients. The reason is that it helps the body use oxygen and if oxygen flow is disrupted during surgery, damage can be delayed from a normal of 5 minutes to as much as 45 minutes.

I believe Piracetam is technically a drug (a nootropic drug, or smart drug as they're called) that has a formulation based on the amino acid l-pyroglutamic acid. I read some people can get very good benefits from just taking the l-pyroglutamic acid. When I tried it however, I found the benefits to be modest, and had nowhere near the “punch” as the Piracetam.

I would recommend giving Piracetam a try, although I would start out at a very low dose to see what affect it might have. I've come to believe it is quite safe, and it's easy for me to see how it could be quite helpful for some PWCs.

Best Regards, Wayne

leaves

Hmmm Interesting... Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I do not think I will try this med anytime soon, but is always good to know what is out there

Wayne

Doing Well on Piracetam

These days, I “reserve” my use of Piracetam for those times when I absolutely, positively, have to get something done. I’ll take just a very small amount (perhaps about 10-20 mg), and put it in my morning tea. If I get the dosage just right, it can be very helpful for several hours, with a very minimal crash. But if I try to do this for several days, this delicate balance gets tipped, and I begin to pay for the extended use.

Hi All,

After this thread appeared, I decided to give Piracetam another try, and see if things might have changed for me (they often do). Well, I've been taking a very modest amount of about 50 mg. per day for the past couple weeks or so. (Capsules are 800 mg, with suggested usage of 2400 mg/day.) Instead of stringing me out as has happened in the past, I'm actually integrating it fairly well and reaping some consistent benefits as a result.

I've gone about two weeks straight now, and am experiencing a notable increase in my functionality. I think this better ability to tolerate/integrate Piracetam is connected with a number of other things I've been doing recently, most notably raw goat milk kefir, earthing, and SAM-e.

I consider a trial of Piracetam a fairly low-cost and low-risk proposition, which is why I tried it to begin with. With my own ability to now tolerate it even better, I would recommend it to other PWCs as something to consider trying. Who knows, it might be one of those rare things that actually produces benefits that are well worth the costs.

Best, Wayne

Rockt

Thanks for sharing your experience Wayne.

Would you be able to elaborate on "am experiencing a notable increase in my functionality"? What sort of benefits are you seeing? Decreased brain fog, reduced PEM? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Wayne

Piracetam Update

Thanks for sharing your experience Wayne.

Would you be able to elaborate on "am experiencing a notable increase in my functionality"? What sort of benefits are you seeing? Decreased brain fog, reduced PEM? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Hi Rockt,

I didn't see your post here until this morning. Interesting that I was just thinking this morning about doing an update of my recent experiences using Piracetam.

In short, I'm continuing to do well with it. I continue to use it daily in my morning tea, and since it has a tendency to "stimulate", I've been able to reduce the amount of caffeine I normally have in my morning tea from minimal to almost zero. The amount I'm doing now would probably be equivalent to that of about 1/4 cup of coffee or less.

Regarding my increase in functionality in general; I've gotten into a routine of starting my day off slowly by drinking my tea, and gradually seeing what energy I have available for various things, whether watching TV, checking the boards, etc.

In the past week or so, I've been able to work pretty consistently on a writing project of mine, which has been in the works for the past year or so. Never in the past year have I had a juncture like this past week where I was able to be as productive. Not only that, but usually in the past, after doing much writing at all, I would sort of crash and burn and have to put it aside for up to several weeks before getting back to it.

Also, in the past, a normal amount of productive time would be relatively short; yesterday I worked for several hours, and felt good afterward, and have no hangover today. So, this past week has not only been productive, but it hasn't burnt me out as it has in the past. In fact, it's beginning to feel like I'm building some momentum as I go along.

An interesting tidbit: I was shopping at the CO-OP a couple days ago, and was looking at some teas in the bulk section. As I pulled out the jar, I noted the 4-digit PU# on it real briefly, and then got distracted for a half minute or so. Normally, there would be no chance for me to remember it after such a "protracted" distraction.

But when I went back to it, I briefly paused before looking at the number again, and guessed what it might be, feeling fairly confident I had remembered it correctly. Turns out, I did remember it correctly; something I can't imagine I would have been able to do in the past 15 years or so. This may seem like a "little thing", but for me it was really quite huge, and just another reflection of how things are improving for me from a cognitive standpoint.

My own cognitive difficulties have been quite severe at times, stretching back for almost 20 years. I've wondered at times whether I was only dealing with ME/CFS/Lyme dementia, or whether I might possibly be dealing with other kinds as well, such as early onset Alzheimer's. My recent experience with Piracetam tells me that I don't have Alzheimer's, and whatever I do have is being helped by Piracetam.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to use Piracetam in the past the way I'm able to use it now. I attribute my new found ability to integrate it with other things I'm incorporating into my daily routines (which I mentioned in an above post). Just wanted to mention this in case others tried it, but didn't work right away in a way that felt optimal. Continued experimentation may very well allow a person to find the right dosage and timing that will work.

Best, Wayne

Wayne

Piracetam plus Grounding Pad for Computer

Congrats Wayne, that's awesome!!
Keep us posted :)

Thanks Leaves for the congrats. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to make a qualification on the longer hours I can spend on my computer. I mentioned in a post entitled, "Success With Earthing Products", I noticed after I started use a grounding pad underneath my computer, that I could spend much longer periods of time at the computer.

So though my computer time comparisons in my above post re: Piracetam are valid, it doesn't tell the whole story. I feel I should share the fact that some of these benefits are from grounding my computer as well.

Whether some of my cognitive improvements are from the grounding pad (and grounding sheet I'm sleeping on), I can't say for sure. Since I've been sleeping better since using them however, it only makes sense that I'm probably receiving at least marginal cognitive improvements from using them.

Best, Wayne

heapsreal

So will u be trying any other reacetams, I found piracetam actually made me abit sleepy but aniracetam was quite good for energy but both helped clear the mind and brain fog. Good to see it working for you. Keep us posted.

Wayne

Chanda Mama | Playing For Change | Song Around The World

So will u be trying any other reacetams, I found piracetam actually made me abit sleepy but aniracetam was quite good for energy but both helped clear the mind and brain fog.

Hi Heapsreal,

I actually looked at the other reacetams when I researched Piracetam, but got the impression the results might all be pretty similar. I find it interesting you had different experiences using different products. I may try a different one after I get done with my bottle of Piracetam, although at the rate I'm going it'll be years before I finish it.

Might just mention: I've sort of fallen in love with a particularly uplifting music video entitled, "Chanda Mama | Playing For Change | Song Around The World". I've got it on my toolbar, and have made a habit of starting out my day watching/listening to it. Perhaps I'm receiving some benefits from this as well. Never underestimate the power of music! :)

Wayne

Live And Let Die

I tried Piracetam for the first time yesterday. They come in 800mg pills and I decided it was a good idea to take one in the morning and one at about 1pm. I like to go for the gusto. . .

Bad idea.

I think I'll try what you are doing Wayne, dropping down the dosage to something more appropriate. I fully understand what you are saying about remembering the 4 numbers experience. While I took far too much I did have a few moments where I was using parts of my brain and thinking in ways I haven't in a long long long time. It was a very unique day. There is something to this I think but dosage is everything.

leaves

Wowww this stuff is awesome !! I feel super warm and effective . I'm totally taking too much right now, pretty wired. We probably should take much lower doses . But thus far it gets a big thumbs up!!

Hip

I used to take piracetam quite frequently before I developed CFS, as an effective brain booster. I still take piracetam occasionally, and it does improve my mental abilities by the same degree, but of course, now my mental starting point is brain fog!

I find piracetam generally goes well with the supplement choline bitartrate 300 mg (choline is precursor of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine - and acetylcholine is needed for your working memory). Piracetam improves the functioning of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and increases acetylcholine usage, so hence it is a good idea to take some choline bitartrate, to support acetylcholine production. (You can alternatively take soya lecithin, which has phosphatidyl choline in it, and so also supports acetylcholine production).

Another very interesting supplement that mixes well with piracetam is alpha GPC. Like choline, alpha GPC also helps support the acetylcholine neurotransmitter system.

In addition, alpha GPC boosts the parasympathetic nervous system (the relaxation side of the autonomic nervous system), which should help with reducing stress and anxiety. And alpha GPC is a growth hormone releaser, which is always useful.

Wayne

L-Pyroglutamic Acid

I've read that the following amino acid can be as helpful as Piracetam. I tried it, but didn't really notice much (at that time). It might be a good Piracetam substitute for some however.

L-Pyroglutamic Acid

heapsreal

I've read that the following amino acid can be as helpful as Piracetam. I tried it, but didn't really notice much (at that time). It might be a good Piracetam substitute for some however.

L-Pyroglutamic Acid

Hi Wayne,

how are u going on piracetam? You still getting good effects and have u been able to increase the dosage or happy to stay at the lower end?

cheers!!!