• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What cardio is tolerable?

What cardio is tolerated?

I'm asking out of curiosity and also because I have read a lot on the topic, in the forum too, but didn't understand what the bottom line was.

I know that a typical symptoms of CFS is cardio intolerance but I also know that when one feels a bit better, some cardio can be attempted in order to improve vo2 max, oxygenation and cardiac functions.

But what kind of cardio exercise is tolerable and doesn't lead to PEM?

Wonko

too much of anythign will lead to PEM
no way round it I have found
I used to use a few minutes on a rowing machine at it's lowest setting to try and maintain muscle and joint strength as it was easier on me than walking (and much more controlable in terms of duration)
exercise you can sit down doing
very boring tho

edit

I should point out that it is not possible to use a rowing machine without getting PEM'd it's just that if sensible it's less likely you'll get PEM'd as fast, possibly because it's a sit down exercise, and that I no longer use one (as mine broke and I couldn't afford to replace it)

it's just somethign I used to do when i couldnt walk outside that seemed to work for me, it is a gradual process tho and it needs to be, if you start getting acheing in your lower shin/ankle then its past tiem to back off

*GG*

Ah, the 64,000 dollar question. I think this is going to be different for most people. But if you do the exercise/disability testing, then you can find out what your Anaerobic Threshold (AT) is, and then you can get a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) and try not to go over this significantly. I still need to buy a HRM and try to stay under my AT in the future. Hope this helps.

GG

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
ditch cardio and do low rep weight training, 1-2 reps with a reasonable amount of weight so that u still maintain form, also not to get out of breath, short sessions lasting 10-20mins with lots of rest between sets, just doing this will raise your your pulse rate even though its not traditional cardio. as for exercises just pick 1-3 exercises that use alot of different muscles like squats for example. This is the only type of exercise that i can tolerate on a regular basis. I have tried walking programs and it just causes me to 'crash'. in the end try a few different things, trial and error.

Wonko

not in general AFAIK and not in my case, specifically the subset of pwME who have OI/POTS issues seem not to tolerate walking well, more generally AFAIK the majority of pwME also have significant issues with walking but not as severely as those with OI/POTs.

TBH it's difficult for me to see how someone with ME could not have issues with walking (unless in substanial remission) defintion wise.

TBH it's difficult for me to see how someone with ME could not have issues with walking (unless in substanial remission) defintion wise.

I thought that because when I'm not bed bound and I'm not waiting for PEM to subside, it takes like 30 minutes of walking (slow paced) before my heart pulse increases. So compared to whatever other exercises where my pulse starts increasing after 50 seconds and I need to rest a lot in between, walking looks like something easier to tolerate. That doesn't mean though I could walk for hours everyday.

waiting

River, I recommend you check out the Pacific Fatigue Lab's website: http://www.pacific.edu/College-of-the-Pacific/Departments-and-Programs/Sport-Sciences/Pacific-Fatigue-Laboratory/News-and-Events.html

This lab, located at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, is at the forefront of research into exercise for ME/CFS patients. The above link contains key information that you can use to help you with decisions on exercise. If you scroll about halfway down, to the heading "Pacific Fatigue Lab Staff Contribute to New Articles on Exercise", you'll find specific guidelines you can put into practise, as well as comments from Phoenix Rising Forum members themselves. The 2-minute exercise session limit (alternating with rest) is serious -- and that's the outside limit, not a minimum duration.

If you scroll down to the bottom, to the heading "Metabolic Evaluation Presentation by Dr. Snell", the video is a must-see. It's Dr. Snell's presentation at the CFSAC meeting in Oct, 2010.

Here on Phoenix Rising, you'll find a lot of excellent information about them and their work in comprehensive articles written by Cort.

kat0465

i would have to say from my expierence... No Cardio is tolerable :( just walking makes me sick. sometimes it's worse than other times,
but i always Crash after.

it's so frustrating, i can't even watch those dang exercise infomercials!! i WAN"T to be able to do all that and be healthy, but no way. it's depressing to me, even when i see some random person jogging or riding a bike.

i plan on doing some beginners Yoga, and maybe a few weights.i'll let ya know if i crash.

SOC

i would have to say from my expierence... No Cardio is tolerable :( just walking makes me sick. sometimes it's worse than other times,
but i always Crash after.

it's so frustrating, i can't even watch those dang exercise infomercials!! i WAN"T to be able to do all that and be healthy, but no way. it's depressing to me, even when i see some random person jogging or riding a bike.

i plan on doing some beginners Yoga, and maybe a few weights.i'll let ya know if i crash.

I tried the yoga on the Wii Fit -- the easiest ones and no more than 6 mins a day. I didn't feel at all tired or even "exercised". They were standing poses, though. I PEMed. :(

I think exercise is a very individual thing. Walking has never been good for me. Any exercise not done supine is bad. Waving arms and legs around is bad. **sigh** I can do some seated stretching and supine tighten-release muscle exercises.

My daughter who has worse POTS/OI, but is generally healthier (and more functional), can usually walk around campus, climb stairs, and do gentle swimming and very gentle tennis. Go figure.

Maybe it's a stages-of-the-illness thing. We know SO little about the progression and effects of this illness.