• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My recovery story

*GG*

I think both the last statements about mercury are valid.

Detox and removing fillings are a great way to reduce the load, generally two years of detox is needed and you should feel much better.

However there is deeply stored Hg as Mr Kite mentioned which is hard to get out. In general though, if you can reduce the load to various extents than you can feel better, depends on each persons body burden. Mercury is problematic for nearly all long term ME patients, regardless if you think so or not.

Not saying its the sole reason behind ME by any means but can increase severity of the illness dramatically.

Ah, interesting, my Doc has me on CSM and Chlorella again because my CRP (inflammation) levels are high. I previously did detox for 3 months or so, and I will likely stay on it for even more time! Perhaps I will try VIP in the future or GcMAF or...who knows!

Hopefully some good research will be out soon so that I can continue to make some gains!

GG

Ian-thanks for posting this and sharing your story.

I first got sick almost 30 years ago, Two things happened at about the same time. I got bitten by hundreds of fleas and possibly several ticks and also I had a tooth infection that got so bad that I had to have the tooth removed. Now you have me really thinking.

I have TMJ in my jaw on the side where the tooth was removed and every time I have any extensive dental work, i.e. crowns, root canals, etc. I suffer terribly for many days afterwards.

Lots to think about and explore. Thanks again for sharing and congratulations on your recovery.

Wayne

Clinton Ober Almost Died From A Root Canal

Clinton Ober, the man who discovered "earthing", had the life changing experience of developing a systemic infection in his body following a botched root canal. His liver was especially impacted, and he ended up having about 80% of it removed, and was given a low likelihood of survival.

He did survive, and began to search for a "life mission". It eventually led him to discovering earthing, which helped him further improve his health. When I read this yesterday, I thought I would share it here as just one more example of the extraordinary dangers oral infections can pose, especially to PWCs or other people with a compromised immune system.

Wayne

Ian

Not that im from the states, but there are dentists with them. http://www.drshankland.com/page11402151.aspx Is one.
Even though the cavitat was FDA approved dentists that use it come under heavy fire, and risk losing their license. The same happens if a dentist says there are health risks from having mercury amalgam. They can be done for an ethical violation. Because according to the FDA mercury poisoning is fine. Although other European countries have come to a radically different conclusion on the subject. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they had been shut down, they had repeated lawsuits filed against them. A small company can only incur so many legal costs. A real real shame.

It'll be like the successful alternate cancer treatments, driven out of the states. People are forced to go to Mexico for treatment. The average person has no understanding of the fact medicine is setup like a monopoly, any real alternate treatments are quite literally crushed and destroyed by the AMA or ADA. This was proven in court in 1976 when the AMA was found guilty of trying to destroy chiropractors, even though I quote

The chiropractors, in their opposition to the AMA's request to have the Supreme Court review the case, were aided by numerous scientific studies that have found that chiropractic care is up to twice as effective as medical physician care for non-surgical, neuromechanical correction of problems related to the musculoskeletal system.

This is how medicine works, and people rely on this corrupt system to provide cures.

Ian

I wish I had had tooth or jaw pain. But I never did, the problems always appeared elsewhere.

dannybex

Ah, interesting, my Doc has me on CSM and Chlorella again because my CRP (inflammation) levels are high. I previously did detox for 3 months or so, and I will likely stay on it for even more time! Perhaps I will try VIP in the future or GcMAF or...who knows!

Hopefully some good research will be out soon so that I can continue to make some gains!

GG

Hi GG,

I agree with Mike -- chelation and detoxification can unfortunately but typically take years in some people -- it all depends on body burden, methylation function (which can get screwed up from mercury), sulfation issues, etc., etc..

I'm curious -- what did you use to detox mercury during those three months? Chlorella for one is considered by some to be potentially very risky as it isn't a strong double-thiol chelator -- so it can end up just stirring mercury around, and eventually making things a lot worse. Others claim it's okay and even safe.

Also -- have you done the DDI Hair Elements Test to see if your levels have gone down...?

Dan

*GG*

Hi GG,

I agree with Mike -- chelation and detoxification can unfortunately but typically take years in some people -- it all depends on body burden, methylation function (which can get screwed up from mercury), sulfation issues, etc., etc..

I'm curious -- what did you use to detox mercury during those three months? Chlorella for one is considered by some to be potentially very risky as it isn't a strong double-thiol chelator -- so it can end up just stirring mercury around, and eventually making things a lot worse. Others claim it's okay and even safe.

Also -- have you done the DDI Hair Elements Test to see if your levels have gone down...?

Dan

I had high levels of Mercury and I think lead (I did some remediation for a short while)? I did chlorella during the 3 months previous. I did the visual test for (Dr. Shoemaker test) my final testing, not sure initially. A couple of years ago. I also did the DMSA challenge previously, with another Dr, if I recall correctly. I was curious about the visual test, so I did the DMSA challenge after the 3 months and my mercury was very low. No, I have not done the DDI Hair Elements test.

GG

PS I think my Dr follows some of Dr Shoemakers protocol, he want to get my CRP levels down, they are really high 20K+.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sharing your story. I will be looking over your website to see what else I can garner from your experiences, as dental issues of all kinds are very much on my mind these days. I'm going to guess you're familiar with the book Diagnosis Unknown, but in case you aren't, I'll leave a link to a thread I started a while back which contains a story very similar to your own.

Diagnosis Unknown - Story of CFS Recovery

As to whether you ever technically had CFS or not; I personally think that's a moot point. In my mind, CFS is a multi-system breakdown that appears to be caused by any number of factors, including some you mention.

If XMRV eventually is associated with ME/CFS, then "technically', those testing positive never had CFS, they have a retrovirus that created a multi-system breakdown. I generally prefer not to get into these types of semantics. I just know many people on this board are very sick with very similar symptoms, but have likely reached their state of health by a variety of different avenues.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I know there are others on this board who have a lot of concerns about dental issues of all kinds, and will find your story quite valuable.

Best Regards, Wayne

^ This 100x.

Hip

Possibly not exactly the same thing, but here is a fascinating story about recovery from a CFS-like "devastating illness" of recurrent ear infections, vertigo, jaw pain, blurry vision, memory loss, almost bedridden with profound fatigue, etc:

Recovery from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

The recovery was achieved using only dental orthotic appliances to realign the mandibular joint (jaw joint).

Interesting. Whether this was "real CFS" or not is of course debatable. But even if it wasn't, I always try not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so this mandibular (jaw) joint thing may be worth investigating.

On examining my masseter muscle in my jaw, I notice it is extremely tense. The masseter muscle runs from the cheek bones, down to the bottom of the jaw bone.

Does anyone else have tense masseter muscles?

Here is a video of Masseter Muscle Treatment. I am going to try this.

Here are some more videos on the masseter muscle:

Masseter Muscle Assessment

Masseter

A Guide To The Masseter Muscle

Here is a video on using orthotics to correct temporomandibular joint disorder:

TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder)

I wonder, purely speculatively, whether some infection may have originally made the masseter muscle tense; but then, due to a tense masseter, cranial function as a whole gets compromised, and this impedes eliminating the infection (perhaps due to compressed nerves, compressed blood vessels or compressed lymph channels), thus creating a vicious cycle.

The question you have ask yourself is, how could a misaligned jaw make a person to become so ill? I don't for one minute doubt the authenticity of the story; so this is something that needs explanation.

Wayne

Cranial Nerves - Vagus Nerve - Digestion - Atlas Profilax

The question you have ask yourself is, how could a misaligned jaw make a person to become so ill?

Thanks Hip for posting all those links. I'm always very interested in structural issues such as these. Regarding your above question, I've heard 70% of the nerve impulses traveling from the brain to the rest of the body traverse the termporomandibular joint (TMJ).

I'm pretty sure the vagus nerve passes through the TMJ, which winds its way through the thyroid gland, the heart, the stomach, and the entire GI tract. If you're not getting enough nerve energy to all these important organs and glands, it stands to reason it could significantly affect a person's health. The immune could be especially vulnerable since it's so dependent on GI health.

My own TMJ problems improved noticeably after I had an atlas repositioning procedure done called AtlasProfilax. I also was able to relieve a lot of pressure on my cranial nerves, most notably my vagus nerve. You can read more about my experiences and improvements at this link:

Best Regards, Wayne

Last edited:

Enid

Thanks for all your research and information Wayne - this pretty much describes my symptoms too - all part of the problems and will look into.

Hip

My own TMJ problems improved noticeably after I had an atlas repositioning procedure done called AtlasProfilax. I also was able to relieve a lot of pressure on my cranial nerves, most notably my vagus nerve. You can read more about my experiences and improvements at this link:

Best Regards, Wayne

A very interesting article you wrote, Wayne. And this Atlas Profilax treatment: I will look into that - it's a new one on me.

You mention the vagus nerve (the 10th cranial nerve) in your article, and mention that this nerve may become impeded by tension in the head or neck area. And you mention that the vagus is the only one of the 12 cranial nerves that actually leaves the head area, and runs out into the body.

This is something I find very interesting about the vagus nerve. Apart from the spinal cord nerves, the vagus is the only other nerve that runs from the brain to the body as a whole.

More importantly, the vagus nerve is part of the parasympathetic nervous system. The parasympathetic is the relaxation oriented "rest and digest" half of the autonomic nervous system. If the parasympathetic nervous system is under-activated, then your body cannot relax. Relaxation requires the parasympathetic nerves to activate.

So any impairment to the activation of the vagus nerve - such as may be caused by tense muscles in the head impinging upon and squeezing this nerve - might result in a failure to relax the head region.

Furthermore, I understand that the parasympathetic nervous system helps control the immune system's Th1/Th2 balance. So if the vagus nerve is impeded, this might conceivably cause a weakened Th1 response, thus preventing or slowing viral clearance.

In short, here is a possible mechanism that might explain why head tensions / cranial or neck misalignments may, in part, underlie the persistent, non-clearing viral infections of CFS.

So releasing head tensions and cranial/neck misalignments would appear to be something definitely worth exploring.

Does anyone else have tense masseter muscles?

It may have been the first problem I had prior to things getting Very Bad. I went to the doctor with jaw pain (I assumed it was the joint but she said it was the masseter) and shortness of breath. She told me to breath differently, because sore intercostal muscles from being sick recently had altered how I was breathing to avoid pain. That helped with the shortness of breath, but the jaw pain lingered for months.

m1she11e

I just came across Ian's E-book that is for sale on line. Hmmm....

I do think there is a lot of health issues that come from dental problems. If I got well though, I certainly wouldnt be selling anything. I would want to help whom ever I could!!!! FREE!!!

m1she11e

Reallllllly???? Seems to be a common theme among the Chronically ill. If only I had the money I could try.....

Ian

If you look at my website, you'll see all the information is free. Nothing is for sale lol. Sure there are a bunch of treatments out there, and some cost a fair bit. My own journey to recovery cost me a lot of money frankly. But the information is there, you can make an informed decision and go down which ever path you want.

m1she11e

Wow, I really apologize if it isnt you. I was having one of those "too tired to do anything but research" afternoons and Googled "I cured CFS" as I have many hundreds of times over the last 30 years. A website came up and it covered a lot of different things that looked very much like what you (Ian) talk about on this thread. I kept thinking that I had heard this before.... I came on this forum and found this again. The guys name is Ian too. Sorry about that. Huge coincidence indeed but I should not have assumed anything.

http://www.thiscureworks.com

I think we have all spent thousands of dollars in research and self treatment. That is why I mentioned that it should be free if some one really did have an answer that might be universal. Yes, we all need to make a living but if I got healthy I would make the information free and go on to make money doing whatever I wanted!!

Sorry Ian. So what is your website???