• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NEW Turnip contest entry needs votes, $5000 at stake!

Did you vote for the Turnip Neti Video?

• Yes

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

urbantravels

disjecta membra
What the....?

I must say I'm growing a little weary of these online "contests" where the rules seem to change/get made up as they go along. How frustrating.

So sorry Helen, but your hard work and the fabulous turnips are now the stuff of legend. Perhaps they will go on to still greater fame and acclaim than the Neti people could ever have given them. I know they are already legend around here!

helen41

I sent an email asking if we didn't "satisfy the Creative Requirements, Technical Requirements, and/or the spirit of the Contest", which I understood were the reasons they might replace an entry. I'm not sure I believe that the top 10 entries in both contests would have fit in that category. 2 of the winners only entered the day before the contest was over.
Merry, your taunt needs to be stronger. I was tempted to say their father smelled of elderberries until my daughter pointed out that we should just fart in their general direction. After all, something about this whole thing smells.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Not the way to run a contest, NeilMed. NeilMed, your mother is a hamster.

I'm sorry, Helen. Sorry, Cort.

Nonetheless, I did have fun - enjoyed the comments and camaraderie - and I look forward to working with you all again on another project. Maybe a Chase contest in 2011?

Even though we didn't win any money you guys did great. Think of this as a warm up for the big Chase contest where we will win lots of money for a multitude of CFS organizations.

helen41

I just got this fom Neilmed
I am terribly sorry that you did not receive a grand prize. As you saw, the entries were very good, and I must tell you it was a very close race to decide the winners. That is why we needed to delay the contest announcement until last night—it was too close to call before. If it is any consolation, your video was very good, and in the top videos overall. Please stay tuned for more information from Neilmed about the video contest. We are hoping to create something to more adequately thank all those who put in the time and effort.
Great Job Helen! I truly thought you did fantastic work

I have no idea what this means but personally I'm not getting my hopes up. My question wasn't answered
I guess we could complain, but they can't really change their minds at this point- those winners did do a good job. Maybe we should wait a few days and see what happens? Without getting any hopes up at all?

leaves

I think they are very sensitive for public opinion (was also the reason for contest) so I certainly think complaining is a great idea.

Merry

I emailed a complaint to NeilMed earlier today. I described myself as a supporter of one of the contestants - didn't mention Helen or the turnips because I wasn't sure my tone would help her cause. I asked why it seemed as if they had changed their rules as they had gone along. Why were some of the winners contestants who had only entered a short time before the end? What about the voting? I closed by saying that during the contest I'd had positve feelings about NeilMed, but now I do not.

No response as of yet.

helen41

just so people know, these are the rules they posted.
"The top 25 (twenty-five) videoes with the highest total votes at the end of the judging period will be considered for the final prize submitions.Contest Entities reserve the right to choose alternative First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners and replace any of the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners if they determine in their sole discretion, that the replaced First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners do not adequately satisfy the Creative Requirements, Technical Requirements, and/or the spirit of the Contest, as set forth herein."

In the rankings just before the end of the contest, posted here
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq.../list?ogn=facebook&order=votes&view_entries=1
the 2nd place winner was #29 and the 4th place winner was #26. Maybe one person was eliminated, but 4?

Tuha

what to say - just pity. thanks to everyone and especially to helen. hopefully, you are not too disappointed and we will be ready for a next competition.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Not reputable

just so people know, these are the rules they posted.
"The top 25 (twenty-five) videoes with the highest total votes at the end of the judging period will be considered for the final prize submitions.Contest Entities reserve the right to choose alternative First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners and replace any of the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners if they determine in their sole discretion, that the replaced First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Prize Winners do not adequately satisfy the Creative Requirements, Technical Requirements, and/or the spirit of the Contest, as set forth herein."

In the rankings just before the end of the contest, posted here
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq.../list?ogn=facebook&order=votes&view_entries=1
the 2nd place winner was #29 and the 4th place winner was #26. Maybe one person was eliminated, but 4?

Thank you for all that you did Helen.

I am not sure, but are there not laws that regulate contests? Would it be different on the internet? They can do as they please? It realy doesnt make sense to me, but, then much business practice does not make sense to me amymore. It looks to me that they perhaps did this contest for free or cheap advertising and then when contest up added one of their videos to win - it does not make sense to me how they could add a video after the contest is closed, and be able to get away with it.

glen

Merry

Thank you for all that you did Helen.

I am not sure, but are there not laws that regulate contests? Would it be different on the internet? They can do as they please? It realy doesnt make sense to me, but, then much business practice does not make sense to me amymore. It looks to me that they perhaps did this contest for free or cheap advertising and then when contest up added one of their videos to win - it does not make sense to me how they could add a video after the contest is closed, and be able to get away with it.

glen

Hi, glen.

I was just reading the contest rules, and toward the end, number 8 says:

"No Resource to Judicial or Other Procedure: To the extent permitted by the law, the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this contest are hereby excluded and any participant expressly waives any and all such rights. Participants agree that these Official Rules are governed by the laws of the state of California, USA."

helen41

I think they are very sensitive for public opinion (was also the reason for contest) so I certainly think complaining is a great idea.

If people choose to complain, I wonder if complaints to the Neilmed Facebook wall might get more of a reaction? It's easy to ignore an email- not as easy to ignore a public question.

helen41

Huh? I guess it's better than a case of sinus rinse packets... I still think we have a serious right to complain. $100. is pretty cheap hush money
Dear Video Contest Entrant,
We are writing to profusely thank you for being a part of the biggest event in NeilMed’s video production history. We constantly strive to reach as many people as possible who will benefit from our affordable, simple and effective products. This was a very fun way to promote the wonderful benefits of our NeilMed SinusRinse and NeilMed Netipot. We sincerely thank you for being an important part of this positive effort. We strongly believe that you trust our products and its effectiveness and that was the main reason for you to put in lots of hard work to create a very beautiful video. We had over 140 entrants in our video contest and at minimum each entry was awarded $100 for just entering the contest. The decision to award the top five entrants in each category was not an easy task by over 25 judges as we received many competitive and creative entries.
Once again, our sincere thanks for your participation. We look forward to hosting similar contests in the future and hope you, your family and friends will continue to support NeilMed.
We have some innovative and creative plans to give you more benefits form the already created videos and we will send you the details after the new year.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by writing to questions@neilmed.com or you can feel free to write to me as it is a direct access to me.
Happy Holidays to all of you.Regards,

frenchtulip

It is extremely disappointing to me if NeilMed did not follow their own rules for the contest. If so, I am up for a little Neti Pot bashing.

Actually, I would never use a Neti Pot. I can't stand the thought of having something poured through my nostrils--even though it might be a good thing.

I first saw Neti Pot demonstrated on the Dr. Oz Show. I think he would have been most proud of the Turnips demonstration.

*GG*

So sorry this did not work out, how disappointing since it seemed like we would win something?~! I think we should take our "business" elsewhere and forget about the site in the future, unless we get them to change their actions, somehow?

GG