• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phoenix rising won $300

helen41

I sent this to them
We are still all trying to figure out the rules. Contests usually state if there is a limit, such as one vote per person, household or IP address
We interpreted the rules as one vote per member and that households can have more than one member, as long as they were age of majority. Is that correct?

this is the response
You're interpretation is correct, so long as each person signs up themself and votes themself.
Cheers,
Cause Support
iGive.com

shannah

Thanks for the clarification Helen. It sounds like all 4 votes from your household should count.

I wonder why so many votes were deducted from PR then. I can see mistakes being made or people occasionally forgetting they'd previously voted earlier in the day and voting a second time. I may have even done that myself. But somehow I can't imagine we CFS'ers mustering up the energy to devise elaborate schemes to intentionally deceive or cheat - not in the numbers deducted anyway.

Tuha

I sent this to them
We are still all trying to figure out the rules. Contests usually state if there is a limit, such as one vote per person, household or IP address
We interpreted the rules as one vote per member and that households can have more than one member, as long as they were age of majority. Is that correct?

this is the response
You're interpretation is correct, so long as each person signs up themself and votes themself.
Cheers,
Cause Support
iGive.com

From this answer I dont understand. if you try to vote more times a day for the same charity they just count only one vote - so this is not a problem. how can they found out that someone votes more times if they dont check IP adresses - I think this is not clear from their answer.
then the only possibility is if you make more accounts with the same email adress but is this possible- can you have on iGive more accounts with the same email adress?

Dolphin

Looking on the positive side:
PR has got nearly half the votes of first place even though it started voting quite late.
118 people like it on Facebook.
If I remember correctly, helen has another one ready for another month. I think we'll have a good chance for a top 3 finish.

IntuneJune

IP addresses

DISCLAIMER: I know next to nothing about IP addresses, etc...

However, so many of the video contestants suffered reductions in the number of votes. Also, I do not believe there are THAT many people out in cyber space trying to beat the system especially, as previously point out, those of us here with limited energy resources.

And how can we mistakenly cast an INVALID vote....... so many invalid votes??

My computer has a different identifier (IP address) from the next..... so how can so many votes get scrambled.

Is there any chance that using a link in another person's post is screwing things up. I have never gone directly to the site to vote. I use an embedded link in another post in this or the other threads and the LINK takes me there, and most of the time, I am not asked to register or even sign in. I had registered the first time. I assumed I was identified by my IP address. When I voted, I got the confirmation that I voted.

Well, this probably has nothing to do with anything, but what I have read in the previous posts about the responses we receive from IGive just does not seem to have anything to do with anything.

(Think I just confused myself in the last paragraph). Maybe I need to lay down.

June

shannah

Is there any chance that using a link in another person's post is screwing things up. I have never gone directly to the site to vote. I use an embedded link in another post in this or the other threads and the LINK takes me there, and most of the time, I am not asked to register or even sign in. I had registered the first time. I assumed I was identified by my IP address. When I voted, I got the confirmation that I voted.

June

Good point June. I wonder how that works. I've been doing the same thing. Something just is not adding up here!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Good thinking June - I too have been going through the link in the first post about the contest, but I did get asked to sign in first time I did so :confused:

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Good thinking June - I too have been going through the link in the first post about the contest, but I did get asked to sign in first time I did so :confused:

I am doing the same thing - but I assume that the other entrants are as well.

It looks they are overwhelmed :). I do feel for them but I think they must have done us quite a injustice - inadvertently, of course - how could almost half our votes be fraudulent? I could imagine 5 or 10% perhaps incorrect votes but not 40% or whatever it was. I think mistakes must have been made.

We are up to #8 though - a great comeback after our big upset. Thanks everyone for voting - let's bring it home the last day.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
DISCLAIMER: I know next to nothing about IP addresses, etc...

However, so many of the video contestants suffered reductions in the number of votes. Also, I do not believe there are THAT many people out in cyber space trying to beat the system especially, as previously point out, those of us here with limited energy resources.

And how can we mistakenly cast an INVALID vote....... so many invalid votes??

My computer has a different identifier (IP address) from the next..... so how can so many votes get scrambled.

Well, this probably has nothing to do with anything, but what I have read in the previous posts about the responses we receive from IGive just does not seem to have anything to do with anything.

(Think I just confused myself in the last paragraph). Maybe I need to lay down.

June

You won't believe this response

One person, one membership, one vote per day. Cant register more than once, cant register somebody else, and cant vote for somebody else.

We are getting complaints from strangers that somebody from Phoenix Rising has used their e-mail address to register and then vote for this contest.

Is that even possible? Don't they require email verification?

I think they're in over their heads.....there's no way 500 votes are invalid (unless someone is working very hard :D:D:D)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Here's the latest response

Before we finalize the voting totals, we will be checking and double checking the voting and methodology. At this point, all indications are that it is overzealous supporters, signing up more than once, and voting under those multiple e-mail addresses (or for other people) that has caused the problem. In some cases, the e-mail addresses didn't exist, and we identified those quickly. In other cases, the e-mail addresses do exist, and the rightful owners of those e-mail addresses are now complaining, causing iGive a tremendous black eye with strangers.

We will make sure the $10,000 is given away to the charities that had real people, voting once per day per person, voting for themselves, and not for other people.

IntuneJune

You won't believe this response

Is that even possible? Don't they require email verification?

I think they're in over their heads.....there's no way 500 votes are invalid (unless someone is working very hard :D:D:D)

Well, their response does not answer your question....... this has been a common complaint of those who have contacted them....... but more than that, their response makes no sense technically.....even to me..... and I am not very technical.... when we registered, we registered with our email addresses....

(Responding to Cort's #290 post)

Tuha

One person, one membership, one vote per day. Cant register more than once, cant register somebody else, and cant vote for somebody else)

I am registered automatically when I go on their web site. so it means when I check the web site several times a day to check the results it means that my vote doesnt count?

BEG

Their voting system was very convoluted. I had trouble from the get go (she says on the last day). I use two e-mail addresses almost interchangeably. Horror of horrors, I'm receiving messages from iGive in both of them. I'm probably part of the problem. So sorry. It just kept saying you must register to vote, so I did, apparently twice. Voted daily, too. Don't know under which one. Don't know if they even counted.

Dolphin

I can't remember all of what people have said as I only skimmed it. Could iGive have got confused when people said they were voting for Phoenix Rising, then PANDORA and now Phoenix Rising. Somehow interpreted it that somebody else was doing the voting?

Or could somebody have complained about PANDORA losing votes yesterday and people switched????

Anyway, not sure I think a lot of groups are feeling pretty sore at the moment. Hopefully PR will get a top 8 finish and it can all be forgotten about.

Dolphin

We are 1 vote away from #7!
Now 4 ahead. I haven't looked too closely at the numbers for the leaders but don't think they're moving too fast i.e. getting their voters out. 2nd is just eight away from 1st but I think they had similar votes earlier?

Lynn

The 24 hour vote thing has confused me from the beginning. So everyday my calendar reminds me to vote and then I ask it to remind me again in 24 hours. I was afraid if I voted too early it might not count.

Lynn