• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2010 OFFER Provider Conference - Videos posted

CBS

Here is the link to the OFFER website and videos:

http://www.offerutah.org/ProviderConference.htm
The OFFER 2010 Healthcare Provider Conference

"Advances in the Science and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia"
Held on September 11, 2010
8:45 - 9:30 am
"Science-Based Medicine: Biomarkers for the Objective Diagnosis and Treatment of CFS"
Suzanne Vernon, PhD
, Scientific Director, CFIDS Association of America , former with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

9:30 - 10:00 am
"XMRV (xenotropic murine retrovirus) and Human Diseases: Prostate Cancer and CFS"
Ila Singh, MD, PhD Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Utah. Associate Medical Director, Hepatitis-Retrovirus Laboratories, ARUP Laboratories Division - Cell Biology and Immunology/Clinical Pathology

10:15 - 11:00 am
"Fibromyalgia: Advances in Theory and Practice"
Patrick Wood, MD Pacific Rheumatology Associates, Chief Medical Officer for Angler Biomedical Technologies

11:00 - 12:00 noon
"FM/CFS Treatment Strategies" An Expert Panel Discussion

N. Lee Smith, MD, Lucinda Bateman, MD, Patrick Wood, MD, Ila Singh, MD, PhD, Suzanne Vernon, PhD, Stuart Drescher, PhD, Paul Shepherd, PhD

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Loved Dr. Singh's talk, no wonder we got all these neg/neg studies! Crazy people doin' sloppy science then whining about it. (head shake) Looking forward to Dr. Singh's papers coming out. The cadaver study is due out this year right??? do you know when the ME/CFS study is due out???

CBS

Loved Dr. Singh's talk, no wonder we got all these neg/neg studies! Crazy people doin' sloppy science then whining about it. (head shake) Looking forward to Dr. Singh's papers coming out. The cadaver study is due out this year right??? do you know when the ME/CFS study is due out???

Dr. Singh had hoped to have the cadaver study submitted for publication by the end of October. She hoped to have the CFS study submitted by the end of the year. The data has been collected and I suspect that most (if not all) of the analysis of the CFS data has been completed (excluding any additional analysis requested by editors). This is all assuming no significant changes since mid-September when Cort and I spoke with her.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
And she really exuded confidence in her work. I liked that a lot. I can just imagine you guys talking to her would really get a boost.

I am a bit concerned about some of the talk right now about studies not getting published and grants not getting funded, no I don't think anybody is out to get anyone else but rather that there is a delaying going on for a long as the NIH can hold things. I think if the NIH can influence publishers to hold on to papers until the first of the year or so it gives more time for them to really get their ducks in a row. I was surprised to see a study of the oral ampligen the other day I thought for sure we were a ways from that but there it was. My favorite conspiracy theory is that they will have a treatment a day before they have an FDA approved test. (big grins)

I'm really hoping to see Dr. Singh's papers before that! She really is inspiring.

Jenny

I really liked the two Wood papers too. Excellent analysis of the possible mechanisms in FM. They do overlap quite a lot though.

Jenny

Desdinova

:thumbsup: FM/CFS Treatment Strategies" An Expert Panel Discussion
Very interesting thanks for posting this. On a side note I would have wanted to smack the person with the Vacuum (?) or Lawnmower (?). :D

Otis

Señor Mumbler
:thumbsup: FM/CFS Treatment Strategies" An Expert Panel Discussion
Very interesting thanks for posting this. On a side note I would have wanted to smack the person with the Vacuum (?) or Lawnmower (?). :D

Man,

I wanted to smack the guy at the end if the table on the right...