• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(ABC) Another misleading media report on CFIDS...

Desdinova

The story profiles a triathlete who over trained and came down with CFIDS, but with proper rest she is running and competing once again...Give me a break!!!! When is the media going to show one of us in a wheel chair with and with an oxygen tank????

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Health/panel-pushes-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-change/story?id=11891485
Nice "Not having the energy to Motivate yourself out of bed" real nice way to subtly emphasizing a mental aspect. I mean one will jump to any crazy conclusion like say that those with this might just be depressed or anything by saying that. "Over training syndrome" (shakes head) LOL Dear God helps us all. Oh yes enlightened news anchor woman those exercises are something that someone, anyone can obviously do anytime anywhere.

jspotila

I spoke with Staci Stevens regarding overtraining syndrome as part of the research for my articles on PEM, and she said that clinically it looks very similar to CFS except that overtraining syndrome resolves with rest. Obviously, CFS does not.

Frickly

I saw that interview and thought it was more of an exercise video than a story on ME/CFS. Irritating...

Desdinova

I saw that interview and thought it was more of an exercise video than a story on ME/CFS. Irritating...

Its a PR appearance to get her into the lime light and more importantly mention one of her sponsors www.dickinsonbrands.com and their Tone up Challenge.
http://katyameyers.com/sponsors/
Calling it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was IMO probably a hook, as well as means to disguise it as a health segment.

YSL

You know, I watched two shows on Lyme disease last weak, Mystery ER and Jesse Ventura's conspiracy theories. Is that because Lymies are better crusaders for their cause???

I'm SO sick of hearing about athletes coming down with "me/cfs" and miraculously recovering when they rest (shock horror). When all they actually had was self inflicted over training syndrome!. There is an Australian surfer - Layne Beachley who claims she had me/cfs and with 12 months rest she was CURED. Arrgghh but if you read her story she over trained and burnt the candle at both ends, so of course her body made her stop! But it was NEVER me/cfs.

God I pray for the day that there is a definitive diagnostic test that rules twits like these athletes out of the me/cfs realm.

Carrigon

To me, these articles are akin to saying we all ate alot of candy and cookies and gave ourselves diabetes, but we went off the sugar and are suddenly cured of diabetes!

Would they get away with writing articles like this for any other disease?

PoetInSF

Misleading, maybe. Mild case, sure.

Not sure about misleading, but her case does appear to be mild. I'm one of those who got CFS after over-training, and it took me 2.5 years to crawl my way up to 35% from less than 20%. I'm hoping to get to 70% like Bruce Campbell at the end of year 3, but progress has been slow.

Carrigon

There was a short news video on my Comcast homepage today about CFS. The "doctor" on it said that CFS is "easily treatable!" and mostly blamed it on the thyroid and stress! I can't believe we still have to deal with all this misinformation.