• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Inflammation In CFS

shannah

Gut inflammation in chronic fatigue syndrome
Shaheen E Lakhan and Annette Kirchgessner

Nutrition & Metabolism 2010, 7:79doi:10.1186/1743-7075-7-79

Published: 12 October 2010

Abstract (provisional)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue and a combination of accompanying symptoms the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Many CFS patients complain of gut dysfunction. In fact, patients with CFS are more likely to report a previous diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a common functional disorder of the gut, and experience IBS-related symptoms. Recently, evidence for interactions between the intestinal microbiota, mucosal barrier function, and the immune system have been shown to play a role in the disorder's pathogenesis. Studies examining the microecology of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract have identified specific microorganisms whose presence appears related to disease; in CFS, a role for altered intestinal microbiota in the pathogenesis of the disease has recently been suggested. Mucosal barrier dysfunction promoting bacterial translocation has also been observed. Finally, an altered mucosal immune system has been associated with the disease. In this article, we discuss the interplay between these factors in CFS and how they could play a significant role in GI dysfunction by modulating the activity of the enteric nervous system, the intrinsic innervation of the gut. If an altered intestinal microbiota, mucosal barrier dysfunction, and aberrant intestinal immunity contribute to the pathogenesis of CFS, therapeutic efforts to modify gut microbiota could be a means to modulate the development and/or progression of this disorder. For example, the administration of probiotics could alter the gut microbiota, improve mucosal barrier function, decrease pro-inflammatory cytokines, and have the potential to positively influence mood in patients where both emotional symptoms and inflammatory immune signals are elevated. Probiotics also have the potential to improve gut motility, which is dysfunctional in many CFS patients.
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/7/1/79

Enid

Thanks so much for the article. Confirms what one suspected - long ago.

TheMoonIsBlue

I believe a lot of people with ME/CFS have stomach viruses (enteroviruses) such as the Coxsackie B4 virus. However, no treatment other than Interferon treatment has been suggested to work, and Interferon is not a treatment to be taken lightly, it can have some serious side effects including some reported serious psychological side effects.

shannah

I believe a lot of people with ME/CFS have stomach viruses (enteroviruses) such as the Coxsackie B4 virus. However, no treatment other than Interferon treatment has been suggested to work, and Interferon is not a treatment to be taken lightly, it can have some serious side effects including some reported serious psychological side effects.

What about Equilibrant?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
There are medication called interferon induces that have direct antiviral properties as well as enhancing natural killer cells function and alot less side effects compared to interferon treatment, these are immunovir and cycloferon and will help against a broad range of infections.

cheers!!!

TheMoonIsBlue

Hi, I've seen Equilibrant but I haven't tried it. I would like to hear from anyone who has. I don't believe it contains Oxymatrine (sp?) though....which is one of the things Dr. Chia was using for enteroviruses. Something about difficulities in obtaining it from reliable manufacturers. I may be wrong.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Hi, I've seen Equilibrant but I haven't tried it. I would like to hear from anyone who has. I don't believe it contains Oxymatrine (sp?) though....which is one of the things Dr. Chia was using for enteroviruses. Something about difficulities in obtaining it from reliable manufacturers. I may be wrong.

Equilibrant does contain 'shrubby' sophora root extract (which contains oxymatrine). I have been taking it for over a month, but I haven't been tested for Echovirus or Coxsackie variants as the tests available here are nonspecific.

Edit - With regards to the original article, it is an interesting review article written by a intelligent guy, who well, likes to write review articles. http://slakhan.gnif.org/publication.php

Dolphin

Edit - With regards to the original article, it is an interesting review article written by a intelligent guy, who well, likes to write review articles. http://slakhan.gnif.org/publication.php
Thanks for background. I thought it was an interesting review too. I've seen a lot worse review articles in the ME/CFS area over the years. This was right up-to-date and sympathetic. It also explained some of the science and biology - perhaps not necessary for some people but I was a bit hazy on it as I stopped studying biology aged 16. It seemed quite thorough.

Desdinova

In addition, many CFS patients complain of gastrointestinal (GI) disturbances, including abdominal pain or discomfort and an alteration in bowel habit. In fact, patients with CFS are more likely to report a previous diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a common functional disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, and experience IBS-related symptoms [9].
Suffered from IBS from 1992-1999. Dealt with the Skepticism, disbelief and sarcasm form Doctors and regular folks about my problems. Had to go to the ER at least three times because of it. The third GI I saw diagnosed me so casually by saying "oh you have IBS...... it's a growing problem and is becoming very common." Now since 2006 I have to deal with Skepticism, disbelief and sarcasm form Doctors and regular folks about my medical problems once again. How Ironic, history repeating it's self, you'd think that the medical community would learn.

TheMoonIsBlue

Is there anything going on anymore with enterovirus research and ME/CFS? Other than Dr. Chia........? (P.S. Isn't EBV considered an enterovirus?) I wonder how many of us have the Coxsackie viruses.....what to do what to do?

Angela Kennedy

Yeah -problem with this article claiming IBS is a 'functional' disorder (as in no discernible organic cause, often used to denote psychogenic explanation).

IBS is one of the catch-all terms used to denote the doctor doesn't know what's wrong. Diverse signs and symptoms can be deemed IBS- so it's a highly unstable term. That ME/CFS sufferers get this diagnosis is not surprising- because the causes of their bowel disturbances are not being looked for and therefore become 'medically unexplained'.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Is there anything going on anymore with enterovirus research and ME/CFS? Other than Dr. Chia........? (P.S. Isn't EBV considered an enterovirus?) I wonder how many of us have the Coxsackie viruses.....what to do what to do?

EBV is Human-Herpes Virus 4..

There have been a few other articles mentioned in this article:
http://jcp.bmjjournals.com/content/61/1/1.full

See also: articles on post-polio syndrome.

In addition to Chia, newer than 2008 would be:

Zhang L, Gough J, Christmas D, Mattey DL, Richards SC, Main J, Enlander D, Honeybourne D, Ayres JG, Nutt DJ, Kerr JR. "Microbial infections in eight genomic subtypes of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis." J Clin Pathol. 2010 Feb;63(2):156-64. Epub 2009 Dec 2. PMID: 19955554

evidence of subtype-specific relationships for Epstein-Barr virus and enterovirus, the two most common infectious triggers of CFS/ME.

redo

Great article. But I can't find the full text. I can only read "Abstract and Introduction". If I google phrases from the article, then subpages pop up, but I can't get it all to read.