• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rumor: 2 patients died on HIV drugs

Daffodil

on yahoo group, someone is claiming that cheney, at the xmrv conference, said that 2 patients have died using HIV drugs for XMRV.

has anyone else heard this???

It doesn't sound likely to me. The XMRV news only broke a year ago. To have taken deadly ammounts of ARVs in that time...? Sounds pretty fishy.

I don't have any medical knowledge to back this up, but it doesn't pass my smell test.

I guess he might have known ninety year old patients who thought ARVs were worth a go and happen to have died since, but that's a different matter.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
During the Q and A we would have picked up something if this was the case. I don't think Judy would have been pushing for ARV trials like she was.

Daffodil

perhaps these people were taking the drugs w/out being monitored..maybe lactic acidosis or something killed them....but it is a rumor that is going around. perhaps cheney does not want people experimenting?? i dont know

perhaps these people were taking the drugs w/out being monitored..maybe lactic acidosis or something killed them....but it is a rumor that is going around. perhaps cheney does not want people experimenting?? i dont know

If it was just people getting ARVs from some sketchy website and taking them themselves, I guess anything's possible.

It would be really sad if that was the case.

I think it's still premature to pay for an XMRV test, never mind going on ARVs.

citybug

I think you should ask the moderators to change the thread headline. It looks like it is stating fact. People could just read the headline.
How about Cheney Rumor?

TheMoonIsBlue

Geeze.....if this really is a rumor started by some random troll in cyber world it is SICK! What if someone targeted the HIV community this way regarding ARV's?

redo

Good point Julius.

I like to get to get to the source of this. Could anyone either ask the person at the Yahoo group directly? Or if somone knows Cheney, ask him directly?

I saw the 60 some minutes Q&A video which was linked to from this site. But I didn't hear a word about it there.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
on yahoo group, someone is claiming that cheney, at the xmrv conference, said that 2 patients have died using HIV drugs for XMRV.

has anyone else heard this???

This is almost certainly complete rubbish. If there were a shred of truth to this Myra McClure would be shouting it from the rooftops. She is not, ergo can not possibly be true.

Daffodil

the person claims that the deaths were the result of cardiac issues...."mitchondrial dysfunction" exacerbated by the HIV meds

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
This is almost certainly complete rubbish. If there were a shred of truth to this Myra McClure would be shouting it from the rooftops. She is not, ergo can not possibly be true.

So would Judy, and Coffin....and everybody. How irresponsible would it be to know that ARV's are killing ppl with XMRV, but not send out a warning.

I'm sure keeping silent on this would be a criminal offense...and a very serious one.

We absolutely would have heard about it.

Daffodil

klimas says she wouldnt use azt cuz of mitochondrial problems we already have. perhaps azt caused the problems in the patients, if there were really any deaths.

now i cant help worrying because ever since i started the drugs, my heart has really been acting weird. and i am always tachycardic!

also...if XMRV/MLV is most similar to FeLV, and antivirals dont help FeLV much, then perhaps i am dumb for taking them.

but at the same time, i have these rare days (very rare) where i feel better than i have in several years. just dont know what it all means.

redo

I don't think the worsening some experience comes from mitchondrial toxicity. I think it's effects which the drugs on a virus, or perhaps immune changes because the virus is poked at. That's my opinion.