• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Failure to detect XMRV in Chinese patients

Frank

CBS

More stand alone PCR using tests validated in vitro and not on known positive humans.

I wake up every morning and look to the east and for the life of me I cannot see London. They say that it is there but I simply refuse to believe it as I have stood on my porch and looked for London at least hundred times. Oh, did I mention I live in the US?

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Did anybody read the whole thing. What were their collection methods. Any heparin involved?

CBS

Did anybody read the whole thing. What were their collection methods. Any heparin involved?

Nothing about collection tubes or heparin. Controls appear to have been collected by standard Chinese blood donor protocol. Lots of detail about sample prep.

omerbasket

Gerwyn said about this study:
A DNA plasmid and no amplification of samples oh goody now I wonder why they didn,t find anything?

Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing time and time again and expecting the results to be different!

Now for my thoughts:
1) As I understand it - and correct me if I'm wrong - This study again used the reagent VP62 and only this reagent to find XMRV. They claim in their abstract that their assay had "100% specificity". But XMRV is a retrovirus and those tend to mutate a lot, especially if you're checking for it in China. So wouldn't 100% specificity for VP62 and only for it - as I understand their assays had (and again - please correct me if I'm wrong) - mean that if there was "XMRV" in those patients, but it has mutated just a tiny bit, and it still has 99.9% similarity to VP62, they wouldn't detect it?

I understand that VP62 was given to them by the WPI, ut I guess it was given to them a long time ago or with other intentions - cause Dr. Mikovits already said that using VP62, which is a clone and not from a clinical sample, and using samples that would detect nly such VP62's, is a major mistake.

Anyway, I guess that even Myra McClure would say that this study doesn't say anyhthing, because it used only PCR (and she said that she agrees with Dr. Ruscetti that PCR cannot be used as the single assay).

2) Not that I think that it would explain the complete absence of XMRV - But again they used the Fukuda criteria alone, without using the Canadian Consensus Criteria.

I wonder what the publication of this stupid study says about the quality of the journal "Virology". Anyway, this study is another study that doesn't tell us anything. Anything! It could be that 63 of these 65 patients were actually carriers of XMRV of other MLV-related viruses, and it could be that none of them had it. This study says nothing. Again.

acer2000

I haven't read the whole study. But... I'm not sure I'd trust the Chinese to comment on any viral anything. Remember SARS? That didn't exist in China right? Oh wait, it did... :eek:

Levi

Oh well,

Looks like its back to moxibustion and acupuncture for me . . .

They did test out their assay on somebody with XMRV to see if it worked. Right?

More stand alone PCR using tests validated in vitro and not on known positive humans.

I wake up every morning and look to the east and for the life of me I cannot see London. They say that it is there but I simply refuse to believe it as I have stood on my porch and looked for London at least hundred times. Oh, did I mention I live in the US?

But Sir! Didn't you hear about when Edward VII pointed his telescope towards the South-East from his Palace in England???! Why, he could see Stuttgart with't for sure! :D

SOC

ROTFLMAO! :tear:

And from Omerbasket:
I wonder what the publication of this stupid study says about the quality of the journal "Virology".

Not Virology again! :rolleyes: What is up with those people? Are they so short of papers that they have to take so many of these no-info papers?

"Here's another method for not finding XMRV in clinical samples. Oh wait, this is the same way somebody else didn't find it, no...wait... it's a little different.... okay, let's publish."

I really wonder who they have as reviewers for XMRV papers. I could guess.....

It would be nice if WPI could tell them where they went wrong. Like with the other replication studies that were claiming WPI was wrong. WPI had to correct them and get them to redo the research properly.