• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science Based Medicine Blog's Mark Crislip on CFS

urbantravels

disjecta membra
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6757

First of all I'd like to say I am a fan of the Science Based Medicine blog. They are extremely, extremely harsh on "alternative medicine" claims of all sorts. This is a point of view I happen to agree with.

Some posts in the past have been very dismissive of CFS, along the lines of "it's not a well-defined disease, it's complaining people, etc."

This particular poster (there are several contributors to this blog) seems much more open-minded than that. The poster is a clinician who is genuinely confused about CFS (and someone has already pointed out to him that "Chronic Fatigue" is not appropriate for his headline) and is interested in the new research. He has gotten as far as the Alter/Lo paper, but doesn't seem to have any further info from the XMRV workshop this week.

If someone with more energy than I have today would like to comment on this blog, I would suggest BRING THE SCIENCE - this is a very good blog with a very high caliber of science-minded commenters, and a good opportunity to spread the word about the current state of the science.

ETA: And Crislip "gets it" about the CDC definition being a mess. Hooray!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6757

First of all I'd like to say I am a fan of the Science Based Medicine blog. They are extremely, extremely harsh on "alternative medicine" claims of all sorts. This is a point of view I happen to agree with.

Some posts in the past have been very dismissive of CFS, along the lines of "it's not a well-defined disease, it's complaining people, etc."

This particular poster (there are several contributors to this blog) seems much more open-minded than that. The poster is a clinician who is genuinely confused about CFS (and someone has already pointed out to him that "Chronic Fatigue" is not appropriate for his headline) and is interested in the new research. He has gotten as far as the Alter/Lo paper, but doesn't seem to have any further info from the XMRV workshop this week.

If someone with more energy than I have today would like to comment on this blog, I would suggest BRING THE SCIENCE - this is a very good blog with a very high caliber of science-minded commenters, and a good opportunity to spread the word about the current state of the science.

ETA: And Crislip "gets it" about the CDC definition being a mess. Hooray!

Thanks for the link - it's a thoughtful piece. I found him open-minded and balanced.