• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simon Wesseley's Wife

filfla4

I don't know if this has been written about before.

Simon's Wessely's wife is Dr Clare Gerada. She has written this scathing letter about the Scottish Good Practice Statement. http://www.cathcartmesupportgroup.org.uk/resources/ClareGeradaLETTER.pdf

More worrying for me is that she is of Maltese descent and includes in her cv that she is an international advisor to the Maltese Government (amongst others). http://www.the-shipman-inquiry.org.uk/getdocument.asp?docid=HS2700001

There's more about her in these two links:
http://www.php.nhs.uk/the-php1-team/medical-director-dr-clare-gerada
http://nhsexposedblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/dr-clare-gerada-gmc-expert-reviewed-by.html

Here in Malta, together with my local support group, we've been working hard to get some good coverage for the recent developments:
http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...atigue-syndrome-sufferers-cannot-donate-blood
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100829/local/when-doctors-cannot-diagnose-disorders
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100905/letters/me-is-not-a-mysterious-illness

It could well just be that I'm consumed with hatred for her and her partner, but this answer is exactly the sort of thing that pisses me off from rich left-wingers:

"How interested are you in money?

I enjoy spending money that I have worked so hard to earn. I have few obvious material possessions but have expensive holidays and live in central London so need a reasonable income."

Min

I thought she was a GP.

Along with most sufferers, my M.E. is 'neurological and permanent'. She is talking about vaguely defined fatigue.

Sunshine

Doesn't the dear lamb sit on an UK Department of health ETHICS committee?

Who would benefit from that I wonder?

Mithriel

I think she is head of the Royal College of GPs or something like that. So this is a disinterested statement from a "GP"

Mithriel

aruschima

I know nothing
This woman has to watch it

honestly i am not a violent person , but this statement of this idiotic woman , who calls herself a GP and has the audacity to talk about science, could make me a violent person.

She is one of this criminals who should be held accountable for the crimes committed on children with ME/CFS !

Can we do anything ?

She looks like a rat , should be thrown into to cage with MLV infected mice and than she can relate to them ! Gosh, this makes me furious !

aruschima

I know nothing
This is her contact address given at the NHS

I suggest to write some formal, hefty complain about her! the ME/CFS world wide community has to take steps there !

For confidential advice and an appointment please telephone 0203 049 4505 or email us at php.help@nhs.net

paddygirl

Handbags at dawn

I'm the sort of person who lifts the spider out to the garden and hopes he's not too far from his family, but this woman had ignited fury previously reserved for the schoolyard bullies my children met on lifes journey. I'd like to slap her about the head with a rolled up copy of the CCC.
I was just getting off to sleep when my new tenant starting roaring into her mobile phone, my combined anger is now volcanic. My plan for sleep now, and the only thing that might work is to imagine weasly wife in a room with the people whos minds and integrity I revere. Bell Mikovits Peterson Komaroff Klimas and Paul (?) and another couple who names will come when I hit the submit button.

In my fantasy they will train bright lights on her and ask her the sort of questions that will expose her for the fake academic she is. She must have a third rate brain to pen such transparent rubbish.

Maybe they could then chuck her in a swimming pool. Oh God no thats too Machiavelian, I need help. :D

gregf

Don't get mad, get revenge and revenge is a dish best served cold in court.

Really I would be looking at glee with all of the statements these people make.

Someone in the UK is planning the UK law suit, right ? Anyone ?

ukxmrv

We have a lot of problems getting lawyers to act for us here, Greg. After the failure of the Judicial Review of the NICE guideline, pateints are very careful who they trust in the legal world. Even "human rights" lawyers have been unwilling to act for us when approached before.

It pays not to underestimate the barriers people with ME in the UK face. If there were lawyers willing to act for us we would have used them before. It's not been through lack of trying. I'm one of the people who has tried.

The legal action may need to come from an international source, rather then in the UK direct.

aruschima

I know nothing
Wessley and Cohort are criminals

The situation in the UK and the rest of Europe for ME/CFS patients is appalling and a disgrace to the human race !
I know from personal experience what it does to us, especially parents and children with ME/CFS. I do not think that people in the US really appreciate what is going on there !

Just one example: children with ME/CFS in Europe are forced to go to school. Unlike USA children and parents, we do not have the right decide what kind of schooling we like our children to do. Homeschooling programs are not allowed and not accepted . The result is that our sick children are completely at the mercy of miss informed school officials, doctors and the worst of all , social services. they have the right to declare you as an unfit parent, if you refuse to send your child to school. You need a Doctor to sign a extended leave from school if your child is sick. We do not have docs which are ready to sign a leave, on the basis of the diagnosis of ME/CFS. That leaves you as a parent with the option to force you child to school, or start a risky fight with social services and school officials. Your child may be be send to a psychiatric ward, you will be suspected of Mnchhausen Proxy or abuse against your child and so forth.
I know many who fled the country in order to protect their child from such scenarios.
I speak of personal experience and i can tell you, your sick child and you yourself, will suffer either way unbelievable psychological and physical damage due to such psycho orientated people like Wessley and cohort, who continue to influence the health care system !
I will never forgive this people and if i could, i would remove this criminals from the face of our earth!
Aruschima

Martlet

Greg, I'm British but living in the USA. I have to say that I really sympathise with UK sufferers on this. Here, it is so easy to take out a lawsuit. In the UK, you could have lost all your arms and legs, both your eyes and half your internal organs and you'd still have a hard time getting a lawyer to sue a doctor on your behalf. Okay, I exaggerate, but it is nowhere near as easy to get someone to take your case.

gregf

Hey ukxmrv,

I do understand the UK situation is difficult and no criticism was intended.

More I was trying to offer hope, that the worse their actions are, then the easier to prove them wrong eventually.

I do agree the challenge will be difficult there. I have read the Wessley school papers for the last few years, and all of it is deliberately so ambiguous.

I think it is time to start collecting the evidence. The legal cases will take a decade or more to win. I am preparing for the long fight. If nothing else it makes one feel positive.

Greg, I'm British but living in the USA. I have to say that I really sympathise with UK sufferers on this. Here, it is so easy to take out a lawsuit. In the UK, you could have lost all your arms and legs, both your eyes and half your internal organs and you'd still have a hard time getting a lawyer to sue a doctor on your behalf. Okay, I exaggerate, but it is nowhere near as easy to get someone to take your case.

I looked into this some years ago when I came across some evidence that made me feel I had a cast-iron case for malpractice by my GP (on an issue arising from my illness which he had somehow refused to see or treat for 3 years - believing of course that I was psychosomatic, though he never said so until the end - and which necessitated an operation). When I looked into the legal situation, it boiled down to this: if the GP can find one other GP who says in court that he would have treated the situation in the same way, you have no case. Given that, it amazes me that anyone can ever sue successfully for malpractice. Even if I had proceeded, it turned out that I would have had to invest a large sum of money just to get a preliminary feasibility report, and the estimate on how long it would take to get the case through the courts was about a decade. The immense financial risk I'd have had to take, not to mention the stress of the process, made it completely unviable. The damages involved would have stacked up to at minimum 1m, but realistically I had to accept it was never going to happen. It didn't help that the one piece of evidence that could have made the case clear was the evidence of the first doctor who examined me at the start of my downward slide, and neither he nor the company I worked for had any record or recollection of the consultation. The whole system is stacked to protect GPs from prosecution; all they need is a mate to defend them and you can't get anywhere.

ETA: that's for personal injury of course, I don't know anything about the class-action side of things.

ukxmrv

Thanks Greg,

I didn't hear any criticisms in your post and apologise if I came across that way. Many of us are collecting information and putting running through the evidence in the UK. Yes, you are very right, the more they talk, the more evidence we have.

Mark - I've also looked at personal injury and medical negligence from purely a personal point of view, also for a family member who had a botched operation. None of the "no win, no fee lawyers" want to touch our cases unless we will pay upfront for medical reports (and we were quoted 5000-10000 just for starters before they would even take a look).

Mary

Moderator Resource
Wow -

She is horrible! Almost unbelievably bad - hopefully she and her husband will take a terrible fall from grace with all the new XMRV research, and will have to eat their words!

Mary