• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Opening the Door to a New Era. The WPI Arrives

Lovely article as always Cort - WPI the very best. Personally I'd love to understand what the "bug" XRMV does to the system causing all the symptoms we know so well (my family all Doctors would love to know too) Now we all on the way to understanding. Very best wishes to them all.

Very well written. As I was reading I heard Al Michaels famous "Do you believe in Miracles?"

I am so grateful for the work they continue to do on our behalf.

And I'm thankful for these informative/uplifting articles on this site.

Thanks.

I just read the Whittemore's pumped $5 million of their own money to building the facility. I'm sure they've added much more over time. I can't imagine what their total contribution is......they also purchased VIP Dx labs and gave it to the university, if I remember correctly. :cool:

I just read the Whittemore's pumped $5 million of their own money to building the facility. I'm sure they've much more over time. I can't imagine what their total contribution is......they also purchased VIP Dx labs and gave it to the university, if I remember correctly. :cool:

Cort, on page 3 of the article you linked to in the Reno Gazette-Journal (http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20108170337) it says "A portion of the research grant money awarded to UNR and medical school faculty generated $60 million of the center's total $77 million cost of the 116,500-square-foot building, with the Harvey and Annette Whittemore family providing the balance, Glick said." So that would mean the Whittemore's gave $17 million. As someone else pointed out, that is a significant number as it's believed to be the amount of people worldwide with ME/CFS. They donated enough money to represent every single one of us.

"A portion of the research grant money awarded to UNR and medical school faculty generated $60 million of the center's total $77 million cost of the 116,500-square-foot building, with the Harvey and Annette Whittemore family providing the balance, Glick said." So that would mean the Whittemore's gave $17 million.

Opening ceremony speakers (video) indicate of the $77M, $60M from grants, $12M from State of Nevada, and $5M from the Whittemore's.

Cort, on page 3 of the article you linked to in the Reno Gazette-Journal (http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20108170337) it says "A portion of the research grant money awarded to UNR and medical school faculty generated $60 million of the center's total $77 million cost of the 116,500-square-foot building, with the Harvey and Annette Whittemore family providing the balance, Glick said." So that would mean the Whittemore's gave $17 million. As someone else pointed out, that is a significant number as it's believed to be the amount of people worldwide with ME/CFS. They donated enough money to represent every single one of us.

That was very tricky, actually, and is what I was originally going to write. If you read further, though, you'll see that Nevada kicked in 12 million, the feds 60 million and the Whittemore's $5 million.

Here's the wrong summary by the reporter:
A portion of the research grant money awarded to UNR and medical school faculty generated $60 million of the center's total $77 million cost of the 116,500-square-foot building, with the Harvey and Annette Whittemore family providing the balance, Glick said.

it doesn't jive with Glick's next quote:
"So that $12 million of state money generated a $77 million dollar building, which will compete with any medical research building in the nation today,

Here's the breakout statement on the right hand side of the page that puts it all together - it makes more sense because it includes the state portion:

The Center for Molecular Medicine is the first new medical research facility to be built at the School of Medicine on the University of Nevada, Reno campus in nearly 30 years. It is located on northern tip of the campus just off McCarran Boulevard. The $77 million cost was funded by a $12 million allocation from the Nevada State Legislature and $60 million in federal funds generated by indirect costs for other research at UNR and a donation from the Whittemore Family Foundation.

Only rarely can you say one finding or one group has changed an entire field of endeavor

Hey, it's always been only one individual, or one small group, that has changed the world. Copernicus, Galileo, Michelangelo, Darwin, Einstein, Ghandi, Mikovits, Whittemore...

Rock on.

Beautifully written, Cort.
I read your story first on my iPad newsfeeder, because it was picked up by the media today.

Jace said it best:
"It's always been only one individual, or one small group, that has changed the world. Copernicus, Galileo, Michelangelo, Darwin, Einstein, Ghandi, Mikovits, Whittemore..."

May God bless WPI.