• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Friend of family member with Atypical MS? Alzheimer's? Lyme?

awol

XMRV implicated or similarly under-researched diseases - outreach

As is clear from the recent patent application submitted by WPI researchers and collaborators, the list of diseases in which XMRV is possibly implicated is very very long:

Prostate Cancer
ME/CFS
Atypical MS
Fibromyalgia
Autism
Bipolar Disorder
Alzheimers
ALS
Lymphoma
Leukemia
Female Cancers
................... and more.

ALL of these possible associations need to be investigated and that will take lots of research. In the meantime, the public needs to be aware that the virus is out there, is no doubt dangerous (there is NO SUCH THING as an infectious retrovirus that is NOT dangerous) and that research is badly needed to find effective testing and screening methods to stop its spread and protect the blood supply. The XMRV story is not just about us!

Therefore, we are trying to put together an outreach team as part of Project ENOUGH!!! These people will try to build alliances with patient organizations and forums for other diseases to design actions to ensure that the necessary research happens, and soon!

I hope there are some people out there who have some small awareness of one or more of these diseases who can offer to help reach out to these related patient groups.

V99

Keep informing and spreading the word guys. Enough is enough!!!

awol

We still REALLY need volunteers for this. Some are more important than others.

Atypical MS is a really promising one with an active and respected set of patient organizations. We need to tap into that! Who wants to help?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
As is clear from the recent patent application submitted by WPI researchers and collaborators, the list of diseases in which XMRV is possibly implicated is very very long:

Prostate Cancer
ME/CFS
Atypical MS
Fibromyalgia
Autism
Bipolar Disorder
Alzheimers

I am a little freaked out reading this list. I did not know that they thought XMRV might be somehow implicated in these listed diseases. One of my sister-in-laws (also closest friend) was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's about two years after she was diagnosed with FMS/CFS. I am wondering what the chances of this being coincidence is? I have been attempting to find other articles related to XMRV related Alzheimer's, but cannot find them. Can someone help? I do not know what else to write-very upsetting.

awol

I am a little freaked out reading this list. I did not know that they thought XMRV might be somehow implicated in these listed diseases. One of my sister-in-laws (also closest friend) was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's about two years after she was diagnosed with FMS/CFS. I am wondering what the chances of this being coincidence is? I have been attempting to find other articles related to XMRV related Alzheimer's, but cannot find them. Can someone help? I do not know what else to write-very upsetting.

Hi Mya,

It is important to note that none of these links are confirmed. Even the PC and ME/CFS links are still being debated for now, and the rest have no published data. However the way that XMRV causes damage is through insertion into, and therefore disruption of our DNA. This can cause different types of problems depending on where the insertion occurs, and what other factors - viruses, bacteria, genetics etc. are in play.

So....these potential links need to be studied. Our project aims to make these patient groups and researchers of these diseases aware that this needs to be studied.

awol

Project ENOUGH!!! Still needs volunteers to help build alliances in the interest of good research on latent viruses and retroviruses.

XMRV may be a factor in way more than just ME/CFS and Prostate Cancer! Help us reach out and bring our communities together for effective action.