• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair mobility

BEG

I have a wonderful powerchair which works great around the house, esp. when I'm PEM'd. However, I really want to be able to load it onto something and get out of the house for awhile, like maybe to the mall, a museum, even a walking path,etc.

Here's the problem. I bought a 7' aluminum ramp from E-bay which I can't even lift. My husband needs to assemble the ramp and push my wheelchair up into his SUV. Let's just say we've done it only once.

Short of buying a van equipped for wheelchairs (which I really can't afford unless I sell my car which I don't want to do), is there anything else I could try that I could handle by myself?

Thanks for any help. BTW, this wheel chair disassembles. Still quite a bit of work and lifting.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
That does sound heavy. We keep a transport chair in the SUV and a reg. w.chair in the house. The transport chair has to be pushed, no wheels for me to push, but it is lighter and good for our errands. We sometimes take the reg. one so I can push myself. It can get so heavy even with reg. w.chairs. I hope you can find an answer. Don't want to hurt your back or hour husbands back.

BEG

That does sound heavy. We keep a transport chair in the SUV and a reg. w.chair in the house. The transport chair has to be pushed, no wheels for me to push, but it is lighter and good for our errands. We sometimes take the reg. one so I can push myself. It can get so heavy even with reg. w.chairs. I hope you can find an answer. Don't want to hurt your back or hour husbands back.

Hi Sally,

Is your regular wheelchair a power chair or manual where you push the wheels? That could be a lot of work for you. I have a transport chair, too. My husband complains about it. Is it his age or my weight? : )

BEG

liverock,

I will look into these lifts. I bought the aluminum ramp from discountramps through e-bay. I'm going to call cust. svc. to see if they'll take it back and use the money towards one of these lifts. As long as they're hydraulic and will go on a car (sedan), I'll be OK. The lifts are expensive, but cheaper than a van. The price of independence. Thanks, liverock.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
My w.chairs are the reg kind. I don't always need them. I can walk into a restaurant, but not shop in a large store. It get lightheaded walking too much. He doesn't have a problem with the pushing at all. I just hate to be a problem if it would be heavy to lift in and out of the car over and over. He is strong, but still, you never know when you can hurt your back.

Acero

[banned as spam]
It seems that you can hardly use your ramp because it is very difficult. My grandmother is using a wooden wheelchair ramp. She uses this around the house with ease but I am not sure if she tried using it outside.

BEG

Hello Acero and welcome,

I'm glad that your grandmother finds the wooden ramp to be helpful. Does it fit into the trunk of her car? Or does she just use it at home?

The alumminum ramp is so heavy, I'm exhausted before I can go anywhere. Then the angle into the SuV is so steep, the wheelchair needs to be pushed.

Liverock recommended lifts that go on the back of the SUV or car. The wheelchair may ride too low on my car. I'm calling the dealer about that before I buy. They're very expensive, too.

I drive a mini van, the kind with bench seats. On the side door next to the seat there is enough room to put my whhelchair if you fold if up. I crawl in the side door lift the front wheels first then the rest of the wheelchair. It's not that heavy if you do it like that. I have a light weight chair. My 10 year old grandson can load it by himself. I then squeeze through the front seats to sit up front.

Kathy

BEG

Hi aiden424, Good for you! You have a system that works for you. We investigated putting a lift on my car. Not a good idea. The chair is very heavy and would make the car probably tilt a little bit and ruin the smooth ride. Since we have an SUV already in the family with a hitch, we are now trying to locate a fair-priced lift.